Gamespy on Steam

Suggestions, ideas and general discussion about JoinFS.
Grumpy

Gamespy on Steam

Post by Grumpy »

Hey, guys

Our latest project is to have a Gamespy server (yeah, I know, its on steam) but you all know what I am talking about.
This server then logs onto our JFS Hub.
So far, mixed success.
The Gamsepy server is on the same LAN as Raymond.
He has to be on the JFS hub, as Stream wont allow him to log onto the Gamespy server.
I logged onto Gamespy, as did Jay.
this puts four aircraft on the ground, the Gamesy server aircraft, Raymond and Jay.
I can see everybody.
Raymond can see the server and anybody else on JFS hub
Jay can see me and the Gamespy server.

Why cant Raymond see ME on the Gamespy server?
This is interesting and has a practical application.
ATC Roo

Re: Gamespy on Steam

Post by ATC Roo »

I played with this a while ago.
Our latest project is to have a Gamespy server (yeah, I know, its on steam) but you all know what I am talking about.
So you have a Steam multiplayer server showing in the Steam Lobby?
You also have JoinFS running on the same machine connected to your JoinFS hub?
So far, mixed success.
He has to be on the JFS hub, as Stream wont allow him to log onto the Gamespy server.
Is Raymond using a separate PC from the one hosting the Steam Server?
If he is he can either connect to the Steam Server using the FSX multiplayer LAN option or..

Connect his JOINFS client to somebody's IP that is already connected to the Hub.

Finally..
Is auto Broadcast ticked in any JoinFS client?

If it's ticked on the client connected to the Steam Server it will broadcast everything showing in the Steam Server to all clients connected to the JoinFS hub.

Be careful though as I think I ran into a loop sending each aircraft over and over.
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

ATC Roo wrote:I played with this a while ago.

Yes
No, different machine. Different Steam Account A minimal FSX install.
So far, mixed success.
Yes.
If he is he can either connect to the Steam Server using the FSX multiplayer LAN option or..
Yes again. He signs on to the Steam Server AND connects to our hub

Connect his JOINFS client to somebody's IP that is already connected to the Hub.

Finally..
Yep, on Raymond's puter.

If it's ticked on the client connected to the Steam Server it will broadcast everything showing in the Steam Server to all clients connected to the JoinFS hub.

Be careful though as I think I ran into a loop sending each aircraft over and over.
We found that, we ALL ticked autobraodcast. Silly us, 87 million AI type aircraft very quickly.

so far, after testing, we have ONE team member on the Steam server and JFS. the rest of the team is JFS ONLY. This seems to work.
An interesting experiment.having more then ONE JFS connected person also on Steam is counter-productive.
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Grumpy wrote:
ATC Roo wrote:I played with this a while ago.

Yes
No, different machine. Different Steam Account A minimal FSX install.
So far, mixed success.
Yes.
Yes again. He signs on to the Steam Server AND connects to our hub

Finally..
Yep, on Raymond's puter.

We found that, we ALL ticked autobraodcast. Silly us, 87 million AI type aircraft very quickly.

so far, after testing, we have ONE team member on the Steam server and JFS. the rest of the team is JFS ONLY. This seems to work.
An interesting experiment.having more then ONE JFS connected person also on Steam is counter-productive.

You could try the scenario below...

PC 1 (server).
Hosts a Steam Multiplayer session.
Runs the JoinFS client with auto broadcast ticked and in hub mode.

Everybody either...
Connects to that JoinFS hub.
Or
Connects to the Steam session.

Everything that is sent to the JoinFS hub will be seen on the Steam Server, that's how it works when 2 JoinFS clients connect to a hub.

Stuff from a Steam server that hasn't connected to JoinFS will need to be broadcasted, (Or Auto Broadcasted ;) ).

If a normal user connects to both the JoinFS hub and the Steam Server at the same time there will be issues.

Similar if any user has autobrodcast tick when another JoinFS client does it will cause issues.

Example:
2 clients on one hub.
2 aircraft are showing, 1 for Client 1 and one for Client2.
Client 1 (cl1) has Auto Broadcast ticked.
Client 2 (cl2) has Auto Broadcast ticked.

Cl1 broadcasts his aircraft to cl2 (1 aircraft).
Cl2 receives it and sends his aircraft plus the new 1 he received (2 aircraft).
Cl1 receives them and sends his aircraft again along with the 2 new aircraft he received (3 aircraft).
Cl2 receives them.......

You get the picture.

Basically only ever have one client on the Hub with Auto Broadcast when using a Steam server in conjunction.