Weather

Suggestions, ideas and general discussion about JoinFS.
Grumpy

Weather

Post by Grumpy »

I was wondering....

Is it possible, I was wondering, whether or not we can set the weather?
Say, at Hub level, so we can set the hub, and if you want to fly on the Flybywires hub, you will get OUR weather!!

Why? Sometimes we do crazy things, like set a 40 knot crosswind, and fly only to airports that are at right angles to the draught...
Land a DC3 in THAT, I ask you.

Please? Yes, I know we can share weather, but whether or not the wethers DO share the weather is a moot point.
I want to give 'em NO CHOICE!!!
Why?

I am evil.
ATC Roo

Re: Weather

Post by ATC Roo »

A good idea.
Similar to FSHost?
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Cant answer that Roo, Not familiar with FSHosts now.

There is one other thing, I dont mind people using our hub, in fact, I actively encourage them, but I wish there was some way of stopping them from littering the sky and killing our frame rates with AI traffic. Have you any ideas?
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

Hi Grumpy

The solution to your problem is called FSX/P3D Multiplayer Server but I imagine that is not what your are looking for.

With the JoinFS hub you cannot enforce anything. In fact it is just a 'meeting point' to start a session. Once all members have joined the session you could switch off the hub and nobody would even notice (just try that with an FSX/P3D Multiplayer Server!). So JoinFS will not mind if you fly in a heavy winter storm while the buddy flying a few meters beside you enjoys beautful sunshine! In JoinFS a hub is just a communication start point (assuming nobody actually uses the hub system itself the participate in the session).

Unfortunately Peter did not account for idiots on the internet and therefore he never implemented a session password. So anybody that knows the hub ip and the port number it uses (or the ip of any session member) can join a session. There is noting you can do to exclude anybody except you keep changing the port number the hub uses and you implement a way to communicate this port number among friends.

Have a good time
Geronimo
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Geronimo wrote:Hi Grumpy

Unfortunately Peter did not account for idiots on the internet and therefore he never implemented a session password. So anybody that knows the hub ip and the port number it uses (or the ip of any session member) can join a session. There is noting you can do to exclude anybody except you keep changing the port number the hub uses and you implement a way to communicate this port number among friends.

Have a good time
Geronimo
Can the ignore box be ticked for idiots?
Would ticking the ignore box also ignore the AI traffic added by users?

I'm not a fan of passwords as by the time I've found it and jumped through the various hoops needed to join a session I don't normally join, I find I don't have time for the flight I was planning.

Passwords only work if it's the same people every time and your group isn't open to newcomers IMO.

Simply jumping in a cracking on is my preference.
If people don't like me, they can ignore me without me knowing and they won't hurt my feelings. :D
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Geronimo wrote:Hi Grumpy

Have a good time
Geronimo
Can the ignore box be ticked for idiots?
Would ticking the ignore box also ignore the AI traffic added by users?

Yes, we DO exactly that.
His AI goes with him.

We did a it of experimenting, as one does!!
One of our members was flying on the "Steam" server hosted by Easternhops, and also joined our hub.
Instant AI all over the place. Log off EAS and the AI disappeared.

Geronimo, you do Peter an injustice.
During the early development phase of JFS, we were asked did we want JFS P/W protected? Universally, NO. Because we can bash the ignore button. THAT also takes away the AI traffic, regardless of how it gets there.
A central hub, like the Steam "Gamespy" system is inherently slower and twitchier than a distributed network like JFS.

I cannot nudge my DC3 ap to another aircraft in Steam, but I certainly can in JFS.
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Grumpy wrote: One of our members was flying on the "Steam" server hosted by Easternhops, and also joined our hub.
In that case...
Make sure that member has the auto broadcast UNTICKED.
I asked Peter for the Auto Broadcast at the start as I thought JoinFS could be run alongside existing server setups.

The intention was if somebody joined a Steam server from the lobby, they would then be sent to a Boxed FSX server and seen by everybody there.

It did work to a degree as far as I remember.

With Auto Broadcast UNTICKED there should be no problem joining a Steam or Boxed server as well as using JoinFS.
I like to use it this way to generate more traffic when I'm controlling.
The only issue I have is getting everybody to use the same voice system.
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

ATC Roo wrote:
Grumpy wrote: One of our members was flying on the "Steam" server hosted by Easternhops, and also joined our hub.
In that case...
Make sure that member has the auto broadcast UNTICKED.
I asked Peter for the Auto Broadcast at the start as I thought JoinFS could be run alongside existing server setups.

The intention was if somebody joined a Steam server from the lobby, they would then be sent to a Boxed FSX server and seen by everybody there.

It did work to a degree as far as I remember.

With Auto Broadcast UNTICKED there should be no problem joining a Steam or Boxed server as well as using JoinFS.
I like to use it this way to generate more traffic when I'm controlling.
The only issue I have is getting everybody to use the same voice system.
AFAIK, none of our members are using Box anymore. We have 2or 2 using P3D and the rest are on FSXSE and JFS, of course!! .
As you know, we have our own hub running on our webserver. I will check THAT for auto broadcast... as well as talk to our members. Post in our forum will do that.

Check for a PM please Roo.