Enhancement request

Suggestions, ideas and general discussion about JoinFS.
ivanr

Enhancement request

Post by ivanr »

Hi Peter

I tried your program out with other member of the UK Virtual gliding association recently and it was a resounding success. Smooth flight was noticed with other multiplayers and my frame rates never dipped below 27FPs (set at 30FPS)

Quite a few of us have personallised paint schemes and I wonder if that could be introduced into JoinFS.
Would it be possible for the model scanner to scan for the "Title=" line for each [fltsim.X] section in the aircraft.cfg file or something along those lines so that it would show the correct aircraft textues?
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Enhancement request

Post by Peter »

Hi Ivan,

I'm glad that you had a successful group flight with JoinFS. :)

JoinFS already has support for model matching. All you need to do is scan FSX for models from the JoinFS menu, 'File|Scan For Models'. It will ask for the main FSX folder. You only need to do this scan whenever you install new aircraft or paints to FSX.

After the scan is done, you can then change the aircraft/paint for any aircraft that you see in the session. From the JoinFS menu, 'View|Aircraft' will open a list of all the aircraft in the simulator. For the aircraft that you wish to change, click on the 'Edit' button under the Matching column. This will allow you to select the Manufacturer, Type and Variation to get the exact paint job you want. Click OK and JoinFS will then remember that model match for the future.

There is a minor fix for the model matching in the latest version 0.4.2.

Best regards,
Peter
ivanr

Post by ivanr »

Hi Peter

Thanks for the information, I'll download the latest version and will report back any findings in our group flight in the week.
Dan-TXHills

Post by Dan-TXHills »

Peter.

Re: Shared Aircraft Function

We have all been amazed at how great JoinFS is - even in its early stages - and kudos on how rapidly you are developing this!! I wanted to move this topic to this forum (vs. the AVSIM site) first because I think it will be somewhat of an involved conversation and secondly because it is of such great interest to the groups I am involved with. (The reason it is important: We are heavily involved in teaching how to fly 'in the real world' - from the basics up. We have a mixture of real-world pilots and well-informed and skilled sim pilots all with the same idea in mind - teach).

We know this can be done - it exists now in the FSX-Steam Multiplayer system (and it's forerunner - GameSpy in the old FSX box world) plus sites like FSOpen's server system.

How does this work? - I have a better chance of explaining string theory than how aircraft sharing works so my apologies in advance for asking for this at all if it is not possible and asking for a couple of specific things that FSX-SE (and other sites) do not do:

1. That each pilot can have (at least to some degree) mismatched aircraft. Ideally, they could have completely different aircraft (from a 'technical capability' standpoint - from a practical standpoint that seems downright ridiculous - no one would co-pilot a 747 from the cockpit of a J-3 cub) but at least allow variations on the theme - e.g., someone that has a PMDG 737NG can be joined by someone that only has the 'default' FSX 737

1a. As an extension of #1 - be able to share aircraft with one pilot flying on a different platform than the other - P3D sharing with FSX, etc.

2. That each pilot have full control of all aircraft functions at all times. Currently the FSX-SE and others that allow aircraft sharing will let both pilots tune radios, manage gear and flaps, lights, etc. but only one can manage the primary flight controls (control of the flight axes, throttles, props and mixture are handed off from one to the other but only one can control this at any given time). Needless to say this puts a bit of a damper on teaching new students how to fly and prevents the PO from assisting the PF with things like throttle settings, etc. that are part of normal commercial carrier / complex multi-engine aircraft operating procedures

Believe me - if this is not possible you would not disappoint us. You have done so many amazing things in such a short period of time that I feel like the already over-stuffed guy at the buffet table asking to have more desserts to choose from. But on the other hand - if you can do this you may well put everyone else out of business.

Thanks again for your great work!

Dan
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Dan

First of all, a nice post, thanks. I'm beginning to regret not getting into flight simulation years ago. I've had a lot of enjoyment out of it in the last year since I started, and I do feel that this is a great way to give something back.

Anyway, the requests. Starting with 2. I see no reason why this can't be achieved with the SimConnect interface that JoinFS uses. I will, of course, need to do a few quick tests to make sure that the user's aircraft allows these events to be made. The network aircraft are currently controlled in this way so I see no reason why the user aircraft shouldn't.

For 1. I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean. You can fly with two completely different aircraft in JoinFS at the moment. There are no restrictions on who chooses what. Unless you mean with a shared cockpit?

1a. Shared cockpit is not something that I have considered at all... Just thought about it for half a minute and I see no reason why this can't be done. There may be issues if you want to suppress the input from the student pilot, but that is actually contrary to the above request.

I'll add these to the consideration list, do some quick tests and hopefully put them on the new feature list.

Just thinking about the UI design, I imagine it would be along the lines of a 'Join aircraft/cockpit' button in the View|Aircraft list. Something like that?

Peter
Dan-TXHills

Post by Dan-TXHills »

For 1. I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean. You can fly with two completely different aircraft in JoinFS at the moment. There are no restrictions on who chooses what. Unless you mean with a shared cockpit?
Sorry for the confusion - yes, the ability to share an aircraft with two pilots who have different versions - aircraft that do not completely match. The currently available cockpit sharing functions are quite 'fussy'. In some cases if you have a certain gauge that is not in the otherwise identical aircraft the system kicks the person attempting to join your aircraft. Not sure why this is but that is what happens, at least some of the time. At other times you may get a warning that there are incompatible gauges but you can accept that 'error' and join anyway. Not sure what would happen if you did not have the aircraft at all but I presume you would not be able to join an aircraft you do not have.

Part of the problem for me is that as I said I have no clue as to how all this works so it is difficult for me to explain all of the nuances of this joining another pilot's aircraft thing. What I do know is that it sometimes fails if things do not match and sometimes you get the 'warning' thing (I have only gotten this with regard to mis-matched gauges but then you can count on one hand, and a Mickey Mouse hand at that, the number of times I've shared an aircraft). I imagine that there is something that communicates the status of each instrument, switch, radio, control, etc. in the - call it the Pilot Flying's aircraft, the sharer - to the Pilot Observing's aircraft (the one that joins the other aircraft). I also imagine that this occurs in the opposite direction so if there is a significant mis-match then the system doesn't understand what to do. On the other hand I believe that for all default aircraft and many 'add-on' aircraft (especially those available as freeware) the codes / offsets / whatever gets the information sent is the same. So the altimeter in the default Boeing 737 is sending the same information packets as the altimeter in the default Cessna 172. But maybe not - back to: Part of the problem for me is that I have no clue as to how all this works.

I did contemplate the simulated struggle between flight instructor and student pilot and how the sim would respond - but in the real world we know that at least for simple aircraft flight controls are mechanically linked and there truly would be a physical struggle. But that bit of realism (and, more importantly, practicality) would be a big leap beyond the current aircraft-sharing functions that only allow one pilot at a time to have any command over the primary flight controls.

It is tempting to think about the View | Aircraft list giving you the ability not only to substitute for an aircraft that you do not have with one that is in you livery and then being able to join that aircraft - the Pilot Flying's plane being, say, a De Havilland Comet and the aircraft you substitute that for and use as what you see when you jump into the right seat of the Comet being the default Boeing 737.

Dan
webcanic

Post by webcanic »

Hi, Peter

I transmits you my congratulations for your software.
I use it with my friends, since a few days.

My club of simmers would wish to use your software on a dedicated server.
It is easier to connect in a fixed IP address.
It's important that the access can be secured.
Could add you a password in the window of connection?

John (West of France)
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

webcanic wrote:Hi, Peter

I transmits you my congratulations for your software.
I use it with my friends, since a few days.

My club of simmers would wish to use your software on a dedicated server.
It is easier to connect in a fixed IP address.
It's important that the access can be secured.
Could add you a password in the window of connection?

John (West of France)
Hi John,

Thanks for your kind comments. Passwords will be arriving soon. In fact, since there have now been a few requests, including yours, I will try to get it into the next version. You'll be able to set/edit the password from the Bookmarks.

Best regards,
Peter
vfrsim

Post by vfrsim »

Peter,

This development is moving along at a stunning rate! Very exciting.

Since it's possible now to display other users heading, and location. How hard would it be to add speed/altitude?

What about a live-map within the simulator, an overlay perhaps? Showing location(s). Just dreaming here...

- Joseph
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

vfrsim wrote: Since it's possible now to display other users heading, and location. How hard would it be to add speed/altitude?

What about a live-map within the simulator, an overlay perhaps? Showing location(s). Just dreaming here...

- Joseph
Hi Joseph,

Good idea, I'll add that information as well. I have been thinking about a way of showing the other aircraft visually. I've added it to the feature list.

Thanks,
Peter
vedum

Post by vedum »

Hello,

Thank you for this software. The is conclusive as between 5 pilot and 2 simulators (FSX and P3D). Fluidity and stability. Great ! :D :D

Being responsible for a VA, I would like if possible to have the opportunity to have a Whazzup.txt file. Is it possible?

Thanks again.
Best regards,
Stéphane
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Stéphane,

I'll need to look into this I think. Not heard of the Whazzup.txt file. Is this for making aircraft visible on IVAO? Sounds interesting.

Thanks for the comments,
Peter
vedum

Post by vedum »

Hello Peter,

I used to show me the drivers in the ServInfo software.
Thank you again for all !

Stéphane
JackRiordan

Post by JackRiordan »

Hi Peter,

I have hosted a dedicated FSX Steam Multiplayer server for the past year called US Central. A friend suggested I try your program, and so far I have been very impressed! I run my server 24/7 with JoinFS and have had no issues for the past week of use. My group members like all the features you have been implementing, especially with the new 1.0.7 update. We do, however have a few suggestions that hopefully make it into one of your future updates.

-Aircraft should be displayed on other players' radars. A friend was ATC using a control tower downloaded from Rikoooo.com, and he said that I did not show up on his radar. Although, he could see me sitting on the tarmac.
It may have just been the download he was using, but nonetheless we would like to see this working properly.

-Possible support for Tacpack. Members say that Tacpack works fine for them, but other members cannot see their missiles, bombs, nor can they can sustain any damage from those items. All the members of my group have been using Tacpack, and this would be a welcome addition to your application.

From all of us here at US Central, thank you Peter for your wonderful program. It has made our multiplayer experience a lot better.

Apologies if this is not the correct place to post this, but if anyone is interested, you can connect to our server on 70.178.89.204. Our Teamspeak address is fsxfuscentral.dynu.com.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Jack,

I am pleased to hear that you have found JoinFS useful and have been using it successfully in 'server' mode. You may have seen on the website that I will be adding substantial improvements in version 1.1.0 specifically for running JoinFS on servers. The idea is to link up with other servers to form a hub network so that people can quickly discover new groups to fly with.

Re: radar discovery. Yes, this is next on the list. Apparently it is possible so hopefully I can get it into the next version. A number of people have requested it.

I would like to get Tacpack as functional as possible so I think I shall contact VRS to see if there is any way we can get this working in a more congruous way.

And I shall try your server, thanks. That reminds me, I need to enable DNS lookup. :)

Best regards,
Peter
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Peter wrote: That reminds me, I need to enable DNS lookup. :)
That would be nice for those of us with a Dynamic IP and a NOIP service. ;)
DCA1161

Post by DCA1161 »

Peter, I am impressed by the possibilities of this program. Thanks for all the good work. I am very happy with the recorderoptions, because on our airline (DC3-Airlines) we can't use FSRecorder any more sinds P3D came out.
One request for this moment. You promised above the possibility to use an password to connect to a networkserver. But for multiplayer our VA-server is protected bij an ID and password (Like Vatsim). Is that something you can do also? Thanks in advance.
Roy
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Roy,

thanks for your comments.

I think a username/password login is certainly possible. Will this need to hook up to credentials held elsewhere on the server, or do you envisage JoinFS managing the login?

Peter
DCA1161

Post by DCA1161 »

I think in the case of Vatsim the credentials are held elsewhere, because every membrr has his own ID. But on our airline every member uses the same ID and password.
I am interested in the last item.
Roy