Superfluous X-Plane AI aircraft

Suggestions, ideas and general discussion about JoinFS.
JarangMandi

Superfluous X-Plane AI aircraft

Post by JarangMandi »

Not a bug this time - but a suggestion/request for the X-Plane functionality.

Is it possible to "turn off" AI aircraft that aren't being actively managed by JoinFS - or provide the option to do so?

I have 10 AI slots set up on my X-Plane instance - seems like a nice round number - but it's not often that I fly with that many colleagues. It would be good for me if the skies, and the views I have on the situation (usually through the X-Plane map, or one of the third-party utilities that provides geographical awareness) weren't littered with aircraft that the simulation is flying - especially as someone else flying X-Plane isn't going to have the same AI aircraft as me!
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Superfluous X-Plane AI aircraft

Post by Peter »

Yes, I agree with that. So far I haven't found a simple way of doing it, but I'll keep looking for a solution. There's also the related problem that when network aircraft leave the session, they are left as 'zombie' aircraft in X-Plane. Again, I'll see if there's a way around that.

Peter
JarangMandi

Post by JarangMandi »

S'pose worst case you could manage them all, but tuck the unused ones on the other side of the planet. :idea:
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

That had crossed my mind. :)

Peter
goSammy1971

Post by goSammy1971 »

I think the solution to this problem is
to use the multiplayer library and with simplified library aircrafts (csls/bluebell).

Then we can disable the resource hungry AI aircrafts
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

goSammy1971 wrote:I think the solution to this problem is
to use the multiplayer library and with simplified library aircrafts (csls/bluebell).
I'll be looking at this very soon. Will hopefully get it in before Christmas. It seems like a much better solution all round.

Peter
JarangMandi

Post by JarangMandi »

One of the side effects of this library may be that injected aircraft may no longer be visible to third party map drawing applications. If memory serves me correctly, I don't see Xsquawkbox injected aircraft on EFASS, PlanG or LittleNavMap, and that uses the same library to draw multiplayer aircraft. Furthermore whilst the Bluebell CSL is big on heavies, there are very few GA models. Experience suggests that JoinFS has a strong GA following.

If at all possible, I'd suggest retaining both methods and making it a user preference...