Rules for running FSXatWar with JoinFS.

Suggestions, ideas and general discussion about JoinFS.
Cougar FFW04

Rules for running FSXatWar with JoinFS.

Post by Cougar FFW04 »

Hi All,

We (FSXatWar) are in touch with Peter and we have started discussions about the best way to run FSXatWar/P3DatWar in multiplayer.

As the FSX network code does not perform well and imposes serious limitations and although things have actually improved on this side with P3D, it is clear that JoinFS is more efficient, more modular and an undeniably an asset for our efforts and end goal. Following recent discussions we came to the conclusions that :
- For reasons of stability and versatility we now rely exclusively on joinFS for multiplayer use of FSXatWar. In particular this avoid maintaining a FSX and P3D versions of our software by relying on JoinFS for synchronization.
- For reasons specific to the operation of FSXatWar, the current solution chosen is that each player launches FSXatWar independently on his machine and not broadcasting FSXatWar static Simobjects (Misc). FSXatWar will be responsible for putting all static objects in place, but relies exclusively on joinFS for everything that concerns mobile objects (such as vehicle convoys, boats and IA aircraft) and synchronisation of events beyond the FSX own bubble. Please note that the method that we propose actually might change (or not) depending on FSXatWar/JoinFS developments and testings.

Altough we have not tested extensively yet this should already work fine with JoinFS V1.1.10 assuming that all players are within about 200nm from each others. Thanks to Peter's help and JoinFS MP protocol we should be able to fix the > 200nm issue soon. Moreover we do expect much more rapid progress with vehicle convoys, boats and IA aircraft thanks to JoinFS synchronisation.

If you test, please feel free to report problems hereafter with details about exactly what you did.
Also feel free to report things which are already working.

Thanks and congratulations again to Peter.
Last edited by Cougar FFW04 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacOnTheWeb

Re: Rules for running FSXatWar with JoinFS.

Post by MacOnTheWeb »

This is great news as ever gents. I have now let the lads over at MODSIM know that the next operation will be completely FSX@WAR orientated. They have been given 3 months to train in the use of FSX@WAR in conjunction with JoinFS.

I will be developing the Campaign files over the next 4 weeks and just wanted to say how ecstatic I am that you guys are working together closely on this project.

Military mission design and implementation has been a bit of a mess thanks to simconnect and over the last 9 years or so, we have had many incarnations on how we have achieved this, be it with AFCAD redesigns and .bgl creation with all sorts of shenanigans to try and trigger explosions etc, to using tacpack and banging our head off of the table every time simconnect throws a wibble! To be honest I had removed myself as head of mission design because it was just all a horrible mess with no clear way of achieving what we wanted, a bespoke mission building package that worked over the multiplayer platform. I honestly thought that there was nowhere else to run and that we had maxed out what was possible with FSX.

Thanks to VRS, Pete, and all at FSX@WAR it looks like there is a real chance that a stable military operations package, with all the bells and whistles is within our grasp. I have such confidence in both of your endeavours that I have taken the role of JOCO (Joint Operations Commanding Officer) back on and am genuinely excited at the prospect of getting to work with the tools you guys have provided.

Thank You for making one Man's long term dream a reality again. :D

We will continue to give you feedback over at FSX@WAR Cougar, and good luck to you all!
marte21

Post by marte21 »

Cougar, do you recomend each player in server mode or in offline mode?

What about tacpack weapons, I guess that you are broadcasting them, right?
Cougar FFW04

Post by Cougar FFW04 »

marte21 wrote:Cougar, do you recomend each player in server mode or in offline mode?
Not sure I understand your question... unless I miss something JoinFS is used with offline simulator mode (i.e. free flight).
marte21 wrote:What about tacpack weapons, I guess that you are broadcasting them, right?
You must broadcast weapons.
See Peter or VRS's recommandations concerning TacPack.
marte21

Post by marte21 »

Sorry, I was talking about CCP. Server or offline mode?
Cougar FFW04

Post by Cougar FFW04 »

marte21 wrote:Sorry, I was talking about CCP. Server or offline mode?
For the time being, concerning mobile things (i.e. CCP) I would suggest to run CCP on only one computer (the other ones must not run it) in offline mode and broadcast all vehicles, boats and airplanes spawned by CCP.
edakridge

Post by edakridge »

As far as CCP goes, at the USNVA we are running it on a Host or Server computer in single player mode. The objects are then broadcast over JoinFS. With the "Receive" radius in JoinFS FS players don't have to worry about being overloaded with AI. In FSX multiplayer, the server would be crippled by about 10 AI and 5 players and start kicking players. With JoinFS we are able to run 2 flights of 12 AI aircraft and a Ship convoy of 12 ships with no adverse effects. (Except for FPS drop when you get close to such a large formation.) We have had so many issues with FSX multiplayer over the years that we are doing our best to "Stress Test" JoinFS's limits.