Shared Cockpit

Suggestions, ideas and general discussion about JoinFS.
Gerard

Re: Shared Cockpit

Post by Gerard »

Hi Peter,
sorry that I have to bother you again. I tried to follow your staps, but nothing works. Now we find out as follow:
Ik can see my friend in a B738 on the platform and in Flightsim Commander. But the coulor is not KLM painting. (both IVAO _MTL installed)
Ofcourse I can see my self but in the KLM coulor.
My friend can't see me on the platform or flightsim commander. If we change to IVAO, we can see each other in the right plane en coulor.
Is this a designation for a solution?
thanks you for your patience
Gerard
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Gerard,

I think it will be quickest and easiest if I join in the session with you and talk you through it. It sounds like something minor. Do you have a TeamSpeak/Discord session where we can meet up?

Peter
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Yes that's the Dutch Flightsim Group
On teamspeak v3 I will send you the detail to night.
Maybe we can try tomorrow evening 19:00 hours Dutch time (18:00 hours your time)
or if you can to night??
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

tonight will be ok, thanks.

Peter
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

to night 20:00 hours your time at LOWI
you can login on teamspeak with nengerman.synology.me
no password

Many thanks
Gerard
JackRiordan

Post by JackRiordan »

Peter,

Updated the US Central Server to v1.9. A friend and I did a shared cockpit flight in Dino's T-45 Goshawk around Meridian. The flight went very well :D ! The only issues :roll: we experienced were...

-When he lowered the tailhook, I wouldn't see it activate in the cockpit or outside the aircraft
-When he activated speed brakes, I wouldn't see it activate in the cockpit or outside the aircraft

I made sure to share all controls prior to confirming this. I just wanted to keep you up to date on the experiences our members are having. We are definitely looking forward to doing many more shared cockpit flights in different aircraft.

At this time I do not feel like we can give you enough praise for all of your hard work and dedication to bringing us a better flight simulation experience.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi, Jack.

that's just the news I was waiting for. And it's made my day, thanks. :D

I don't recall adding the hook and speed brakes to JoinFS. In fact I doubt they will show up over the network either, at the moment.

Should be easy enough to get them synced up if SimConnect supports them.

Peter
JackRiordan

Post by JackRiordan »

The tailhook, wingfold, and speed brakes (spoilers) are systems that were sent over the network in the default multiplayer.

To make extra functions of a model display correctly for other players, freeware devs had a workaround by mapping doors, refueling probes, engine nacelles (think of the osprey engines that rotate vertically) etc. to the wing fold and tailhook keys.

Speaking of the Osprey, Deep mentioned that the engine nacelles don't display rotated correctly. They are always pointing straight ahead, because they are mapped to one of those systems that aren't being broadcast :roll: .

Now that shared cockpit seems to be working, it'll be important during those carrier operations that these systems work and display as intended ;) .
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Hi Peter
As far as we know now and see, the model matching only works automatically in FSX or FSX steam and not in Prepar3D. That's what we think. Is there someone with the same experience?
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Gerard,

this could do with being in a different thread I think. :) But anyway, I think you're right after our discussion the other night.

I believe P3D works slightly differently and you can configure it to only load SimObjects from certain places. Which explains why the mismatch is occurring, since JoinFS does a simple scan of the folders and doesn't cross reference with P3D's configuration.

This is definitely something I will need to fix. Thanks for highlighting the problem. I'll add it to the bug list. ;)

Peter
JackRiordan

Post by JackRiordan »

Peter,

Were there any further plans on fixing the issues with the shared cockpit controls of the wing fold, tail hook, spoilers, etc., or any other expansions on the fuctionality of the shared cockpit? Just wondering!
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Jack,

sure, those three items look simple enough, I'll get them into the next version, which should also have a fix for the throttle/mixture/prop levers that currently get a bit confused when they're shared out.

Peter
JackRiordan

Post by JackRiordan »

That's great, Peter! As always, thank you for reading the forum posts and doing your best to accommodate us. I know you get a lot of requests, and I hope we aren't being too wanty ;)
edakridge

Post by edakridge »

A little feedback about shared cockpit and carrier operations. We flew shared cockpit in Dino's F-14. The "Owner" retained Flight Controls and only transferred "Other Controls" to me. That worked great. I was able to work the radios, radar and other systems. The only issue that we encountered was that when the aircraft's wheels touched the carrier deck, the "Passenger" (Me) was killed by Tacpack and respawned back in the cockpit. Apparently the system sees the carrier touch down as a collision with another object. This was the same result with FSX Multiplayer system.
JackRiordan

Post by JackRiordan »

Thank you for the report. The same thing has happened to a friend and I in Dino's T-45 Goshawk :roll:
JackRiordan

Post by JackRiordan »

Peter,

We don't want you to feel like you're constantly being bombarded by requests without any appreciation for all of your hard work. Your work is always appreciated!

As always, I want you to know that members of my group, including myself, are able to to bug test, take screenshots, and record video in order to help find solutions to these issues. Just let us know if there's anything we can do.
edakridge

Post by edakridge »

I also want to apologize for being a pain and acknowledge your hard work. I am probably the worlds worst at taking screenshots, videos etc. to record data. The shared cockpit functions are improving with each build and I am impatiently waiting for the next update. I fly mainly combat ops, but on occasion have to help with training a "Nugget" . Shared cockpit can be an invaluable tool in training as the instructor can actually see what is happening in the cockpit.
JackRiordan

Post by JackRiordan »

edakridge wrote:Shared cockpit can be an invaluable tool in training as the instructor can actually see what is happening in the cockpit.
Agreed!
jakesager

Post by jakesager »

Hi there -
I know I’m several months late, but I just found JoinFS and plan to use it with my friend together on Vatsim.

Questions:
Would an aircraft like the PMDG 737 work with the shared cockpit functionality?

How do we join the same aircraft in the sim? Do we both load in independently and then once we connect together through the client we will automatically merge?

Thanks so much, and great work on the program!
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Jake,

The PMDG 737 should work in shared cockpit mode. You may find that some systems aren't synchronized, such as the FMC, but nearly all of the basic systems are.

There's a section in the manual that explains how to use the shared cockpit, http://pmem.uk/joinfs/manual.html#shared

If you find any issues then be sure to post them here, thanks.

Peter