Normal FSX and carriers

Suggestions, ideas and general discussion about JoinFS.
ATC Roo

Normal FSX and carriers

Post by ATC Roo »

I'm not big into the military stuff but do like to try the odd carrier landing or midair refuel in the default F18.

As Peter has now enabled the broadcast of objects, I thought I'd try creating a carrier with the FSX SDK tools and see if everybody else could land on it.

They can.

So now you can put an aircraft carrier anywhere in the world and anybody who joins your hub will see it and can use it.
They will need to scan the boats folder for the carrier model, otherwise they will see it substituted for their default aircraft.

I have one on my hub at the moment if people wanted to try it.

Thanks Peter, great addition.
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Normal FSX and carriers

Post by Peter »

That's great, Andy. Looking forward to trying that myself. And I noticed that the hub was running on your linux server. Another box ticked. :)

In theory, I suppose it should run on a Raspberry Pi?

Peter
marte21

Post by marte21 »

Tested and working nicely here. I just had to substitute your standard carrier by another one to have working arrestor cables and catapult in P3D v3. Good job!
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Peter wrote:That's great, Andy. Looking forward to trying that myself. And I noticed that the hub was running on your linux server. Another box ticked. :)

Peter
I've actually got a spare Pi doing nothing in the garage, so I'll have a play.

Did you manage to connect to the Linux hub?
I've a windows hub running at the moment.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

ATC Roo wrote: Did you manage to connect to the Linux hub?
I'm fairly sure I did at one point. I certainly saw it in the list with two or three aircraft and nodes.
marte21

Post by marte21 »

Markeebo wrote:
marte21 wrote:Tested and working nicely here. I just had to substitute your standard carrier by another one to have working arrestor cables and catapult in P3D v3. Good job!
Which carrier did you substitute? Javier's Nimitz? Just read a post on the VRS forum that TacPack-spawned carriers are having a few difficulties with clients using the catapult. Just curious

Markeebo
I think it loaded P3d V3 default. I substituted it by CVA-43 USS Coral Sea 1965
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

ATC Roo wrote:
Peter wrote:That's great, Andy. Looking forward to trying that myself. And I noticed that the hub was running on your linux server. Another box ticked. :)

Peter
I've actually got a spare Pi doing nothing in the garage, so I'll have a play.

Did you manage to connect to the Linux hub?
Tried various things today with a Raspberry Pi 2 but no success.
Wine can't be run on a Raspberry Pi as the Pis processor is ARM and wine tries to replicate an X86.

There is a way of doing it with Qemu but I had no luck and if I had managed it, it would be very slow.
Too slow for just JFS???? I don't know.

I also tried the new windows IOT hoping that may have worked but failed to even install it.
Either my SD card wasn't good enough or I have a version of the Pi it doesn't like.

I hope somebody else might get more luck installing to a Raspberry Pi, but until then I have my node running nicely 24/7 on a Linux CENTOS server.

Let me know if you see it in the list and can connect as normal, as that's something I can't test.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Probably a long shot getting the Pi to work. Actually, I probably need to compile some of the code separately, it depends if the dlls work in the same way, I'm not too sure about it to be honest. Perhaps it's one for the back burner. :)

Thanks for trying it.

I just connected to your Linux server. Worked perfectly and I managed to gate-crash a couple of chaps taking off, sorry guys. ;)

Peter