Christmas-event

Suggestions, ideas and general discussion about JoinFS.
DCA1161

Christmas-event

Post by DCA1161 »

Hi Peter,
Great event Saturday night. Unbelievable the amount of pilots connected to JoinFS, without any trouble. I saw one or two planes acting oddly, but I do not know if that’s was due to JoinFS. Weather worked great, everything ver steady. I enjoyed myself, thanks to you and Roo.
Roy
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Crhistmas-event

Post by Peter »

Hi Roy,

Yes, it was quite spectacular. I was impressed how about 70 pilots departed EFRO in such an orderly manner. It was a great sight. I should have recorded a time lapse video from a helicopter. Maybe next time.

A few aircraft did move around oddly. Most likely due to the quality of the network connection. In the current version if an aircraft stops getting updates temporarily it will continue on it's current velocity. Perhaps if this happens when taxiing, the aircraft should be halted instead. That may look more realistic and is less likely to have aircraft straying too far. Even so, it was only occasional even with so many aircraft.

Best regards,
Peter
Dan-TXHills

Re: Crhistmas-event

Post by Dan-TXHills »

Peter wrote:
A few aircraft did move around oddly. Most likely due to the quality of the network connection. In the current version if an aircraft stops getting updates temporarily it will continue on it's current velocity. Perhaps if this happens when taxiing, the aircraft should be halted instead. That may look more realistic and is less likely to have aircraft straying too far. Even so, it was only occasional even with so many aircraft.

Best regards,
Peter
I too noticed this. Based on some of the discussion that occurred I wonder if it may (at least in part) have been because I believe that a couple of folks (maybe more) were also connected to the Steam multiplayer section (why? I may never know). But aside from that - I have been in large sessions (40 to 50 aircraft) using a traditional 'multiplayer' connection (be it when GameSpy still operated for the box version, an FSOpen session or the now avaialble Steam session connection) where overall the degree of "erratic behavior" was noticeably greater than any of the relatively minor misbehaving that I witnessed with Join FS during the peak of the Christmas event. (Although I have seen - even when only two or three are connected - a couple of somewhat interesting phenomena. One being watching someone who is changing an aircraft while connected slowly drift off the field in the original aircraft then reappearing in their original spot but now in a different aircraft. The other, which happens without exception, is that when someone connects while sitting on the ground you see their aircraft appear - floating above the ground - then you see their landing gear lower and prop them up in the correct position. A bit funny actually but no big deal - actually a bit of an endearing characteristic of JoinFS as I have not seen this with any other connection utility.

All in all I would say that the Christmas event was a resounding success. And - testimony to the ease of use of JoinFS - even a couple of late-comers were able to quickly install, configure and connect with JoinFS without difficulty or delay.

Dan