Installing ver 14 and 20 simultaneously

Suggestions, ideas and general discussion about JoinFS.
Grumpy

Installing ver 14 and 20 simultaneously

Post by Grumpy »

Roo, a small problem has raised its ugly head.

First.....
Comp is elderly Quad core AMD
4 Gb Ram
250 GB SSD
win 7 - 32

version 20 hit the headlines to day, and I dutifully installed it.
Cool, all the mods are hidden, background stuff.
Ok, now to get ready for the Cross platform extravaganza...

Light up FSX, run ver 14 as per your flight preferences instructions. FAILURE!!
ver 14 has been expunged. I tried un-installing 20, reinstalling 14, Yep, that worked.

Did a plethora of installing checking testing ad infinitum.
My results are, Peters brainchild changed around Ver 10, and after that, all NEW installs overwrite the old install, no matter how I cut it.
I know that of my team, I will be lucky to get 2 or 3 to go through the uninstall 20 - reinstall 14 - reinstall 20 sequence after your event.

Results extracted by using an old version will have questionable value, both for ourselves and Peter.
In the interests of making a definitive test of the software, shouldn't we be using the very latest version?

I Know I am not alone in this, a number of people have experienced the exact same problem.

regards etc....
Bob, Chief Wizard, FlybyWires
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Installing ver 14 and 20 simultaneously

Post by Peter »

Hi Bob,

Next week we are likely to all be using 1.0.21 so there shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not sure why your 1.0.14 didn't work. Make sure that you run the right icon on the desktop. "JoinFS" for the stable version 1.0.14 and "JoinFS (TEST)" for version 1.0.20.

Anyway, won't be a problem next weekend.

Peter
FireRx

Post by FireRx »

Peter,
the new build 21 msi is not installing on Windows 10 for some reason. FYI. Had to fall back to 14 since 20 is no longer availiable to download. :o
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

I was having trouble uploading it by FTP this morning. I've just uploaded it again. Does it work okay, now?

Peter
FireRx

Post by FireRx »

let me download it again and see. it was causing the explorer to lock up.

Found the cause. Windows Smartscreen locked up not showing the permission splash. I turned it off in task manager and 1.0.21 installed fine. :D
Dan-TXHills

Post by Dan-TXHills »

Just so I am clear - for the Cross-Community Christmas event Roo will be running v1.0.21 only ... correct?

But just to add my support to Bob's point - I think we should be pushing the latest version as hard as possible. The folks in my group understand that JoinFS is still in testing - beta phase, if you will. I see this event as one that will test how JoinFS performs with a large load of aircraft as an important step in the development of JoinFS.

As some are aware I too had issues installing v14 on the same machine as v20. After a couple of hours of tiptoeing through the Registry tulips I found remnants of version 1.0.10 (specifically identified as 1.0.10.0) that I had to remove manually in order to get it to install (otherwise I was getting an error message stating "The specified account already exists" then the installer would abort and shut down). Heaven knows what others might encounter. Bob makes an important point about the tolerance (and maybe just plain ability) of some to make this work should they encounter problems. I can say with good authority that the one thing that has been the bane of other connection utilities is problems with installation. I have found JoinFS to be one of the easiest connection utilities to install and use - since there will be several (at least from my group, I suspect from other groups as well) that may have dabbled with JoinFS in the past but are not regular users they may encounter similar problems. It would be a shame to have an issue that has nothing to do with JoinFS per-se cause anyone problems and potentially turn them away (and, for what reason I will not ever understand) back to the cumbersome, restrictive and horribly "Game-like" Steam Multiplayer system. I really want to see this work and want nothing more than for all in the sim flying community to adopt JoinFS as their means of connecting. So again ...

Just so I am clear - for the Cross-Community Christmas event Roo will be running v1.0.21 only ... correct?

Thanks,

Dan
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hopefully, yes. I'm going to move the stable version to 1.0.21 tonight, so both stable and test versions are the same.

Perhaps I should look at changing the installer if people are having problems with it. For me, it's behaved itself pretty well on Windows 10.

I would say that if you are using JoinFS regularly in order to fly multiplayer, then stick to using just the stable version as that is exactly what it's meant for. If you are willing to try out and test the very latest version with all the extra possibly wasted time, then use that one. If we all stick to that procedure then things should go pretty smoothly.

The event next week is likely to be version 1.0.21. Do not connect with any other version.

Peter
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

For the Cross Community Event the STABLE version that is the latest on the day will be used.

For 2 reasons.
1. Everybody knows which version is in use.
2. It's the PROVEN STABLE client.

Peter I would imagine has stable and test versions for the reasons they are named.
The Stable version is... well stable.
The test version is a version with new features which Peter can release and let everybody..... you guessed it Test.

Once the test version has proved it has no random bugs or Ill effects that becomes the next stable version, because it's....... proven to be Stable.

Imagine everybody joining the event with the test version and then finding out your plane flys upside down or you vanish after 30mins.

Use Peters Test version and try different scenarios to help him find and fix bugs.
But on the day of the event the LATEST STABLE version will be used, as although we are testing a new client we've mainly attended to fly with others and have no problems.