The Global Hub Network

Suggestions, ideas and general discussion about JoinFS.
Peter
Site Admin

The Global Hub Network

Post by Peter »

Just an idea at the moment, to add a second higher-level network of hub nodes to the existing JoinFS network. These permanent server-based instances of JoinFS will connect to each other in the same way as the current JoinFS client. By joining your client to a hub node instead of another JoinFS client, you will see all other pilots and aircraft on that hub. As you fly to a new location, JoinFS will automatically transfer you from hub to hub. For example, you could set up any of the following hubs:

UK - Longitude=#, Latitude=#, Coverage=400nm.
South England, UK - Longitude=#, Latitude=#, Coverage=100nm.
Shoreham, EGKA - Longitude=#, Latitude=#, Coverage=4nm.

Would this sort of feature be useful?
MartinCANCoast

Re: The Global Hub Network

Post by MartinCANCoast »

For our club/va we like the idea of no hub or server. In the past we had three FSD servers interconnected. Keeping them running was our biggest issue. However I'd be interested in seeing how it worked and would be happy to help test it.
Pilote334

Post by Pilote334 »

Hi all, Hi Peter,

Well, I see that a global network is not wished by a majority of VA, regardless about VATSIM or IVAO, that are good global network.

So for private network, I've tested a solution with JoinFS client.

I've put on a separate computer JoinFS client (v1.0.16) in an opened windows session. I put also the simconnect library in the same folder as JoinFS.

Then, I opened the 55020 port (it can be another, but not on the first 8192 one) on the router pointing on my server IP address in UDP mode (important).
I do the same in the Windows firewall (incoming and outcoming traffic).

Results : IT WORKS FINE. All clients (pilots) must be connected on the public IP adress with the good port number (55020 in my case). Each client must have their port 55020 in UDP opened to work correctly. Again, the port number can be another than the 55020, you must set it in the JoinFS used as server.

It's a workaraound waiting a true server for JoinFS.

For info, pilots are seen on PLAN-G software when they are on the network for client running FSX in the same time until 60 NM range around the position of the client in FSX. No results on Flightsim Commander, but seen on ATC-RAS 3.30 connected on FSX (with same limitations).

Yves
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Yves,

Yes, that's a perfectly valid way of creating a private server. Just pick a five digit port number. I doubt anyone else will guess it.

Peter