Shared Weather Issue

Suggestions, ideas and general discussion about JoinFS.
vedum

Shared Weather Issue

Post by vedum »

Hello Peter,

In our group, we encounter a problem in the management of the weather during our network flights.
For example, all participants in a flight click on the "weather" box of the flight organizer so that everyone has the same weather.
The organizer takes off. The wind is calm. It climbs to FL150 and its weather changed the wind to 30 knts.
At this point, the other members recover the wind at 30 knts while they wait on the taxiway permission to take off.

I deduce that JoinFS transmits the weather related to the position and altitude of the plane that shares its weather.
For example, a pilot at LFQQ has the same weather as another driver at LFML.

The idea is to have in JoinFs the possibility of a global option that recovers all the metars of the globe via servers of type NOAA, VATSIM or IVAO.
This weather would then be injected into FSX using joinFS. This option would complement the weather sharing that is already implemented.

I hope I have been clear enough in my explanations.

What do you think?

Best regards,
Stéphane
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Shared Weather Issue

Post by Peter »

Hi Stéphane,

Yes, you're right, the weather is directly copied using an interpolated metar. The initial requirement for this was to make sure that in formation flights everyone has exactly the weather. However, since adding the additional once-only update with the Copy Weather button, that now sufficiently covers that formation aspect of the weather, so I should be able to make the regular weather updates from the list more in line with what you are suggesting.

Just wondering though, if the idea is to use global live weather through VATSIM, then you shouldn't need to use the weather sharing in JoinFS, since everyone is getting their own live updates. Unless there's something I've overlooked?

Best regards,
Peter
vedum

Re: Shared Weather Issue

Post by vedum »

Yes it is exactly that.

Either one uses the shared weather when one is in close flight.
Either we use the global weather from metars.

Best regards,
Stéphane