FS Join Bandwith Usage

Suggestions, ideas and general discussion about JoinFS.
Blackbeard

FS Join Bandwith Usage

Post by Blackbeard »

Hi Peter,

Firstly a big thank you for joining our Trojan Aerobatic Team for a session last Sunday. Your input was greatly appreciated.

A further problem we seem to be experiencing is bandwith usage. Unfortunately some parts of the world still charge data usage per meg. I realise that there is an option for low bandwidth, but use of this tends to exacerbate the jumping problem.

Using a bandwith monitor I've compared an average 1 hour Join FS session with a Multiplayer session of the same length. Join FS seems to consume more than 4 times the data. Would a fix for this issue be possible in the future?
Peter
Site Admin

Re: FS Join Bandwith Usage

Post by Peter »

Hi,

There's a change that I'll be making in 1.0.18 which will reduce the bandwidth a bit. I doubt I'll be able to reduce it to a quarter though. I appreciate that some are on bandwidth tariffs but I wouldn't say that JoinFS is bandwidth hungry. With my internet connection here, JoinFS barely uses 1% of it. I think the low bandwidth option is your best bet, but obviously comes at the price of not being quite as smooth.

Best regards,
Peter
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Just wondering, when you measured the bandwidth did you take into account any Teamspeak usage?

Peter
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hey Peter, one request on reducing bandwidth - if there is any way it could reduce accuracy in multiplayer close formation multiplayer flying or recording, it would be really good to make that an option.

And the TeamSpeak angle is a good one. When we did a big multiplayer flight a while back, there were times when lots of people were talking that things would also get jumpy. No measurements to quantify what was going on but just qualitatively, TeamSpeak can add at least some load.
Blackbeard

Post by Blackbeard »

Yes, I have definitely taken Teamspeak into account. My findings are based upon at least 5 sessions of each connection method i.e. Join FS and Multiplayer, all running Teamspeak as well. In last night's Trojan session we split it in two, first half Join FS, second Multiplayer. We were using ver 17, but we had aircraft pirouetting on the ground, and some disappearing. Again, when changing back to Multiplayer, the data usage dropped significantly.

Peter, 1% to you might equal 20% to others.

Our counterparts over at CIX running only 4 aircraft and all users based in the UK had no problems at all. We were running 6 aircraft with users in the States, UK, and South Africa.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Version 1.0.18 is out today and has some improvements on bandwidth consumption. I'll make further optimizations in due course.

It could be that FSX multiplayer sends less frequent updates, in which case they are never going to be equivalent I'm afraid. Fortunately, bandwidth has improved significantly since FSX launched over ten years ago.

Thanks,
Peter
FireRx

Post by FireRx »

where can we download 1.0.18? :)