Should I be seeing aircraft?

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
RandomThoughts

Should I be seeing aircraft?

Post by RandomThoughts »

I'm currently testing JoinFS and have it running on a remote server. My testing has involved using a local PC & laptop to connect to JoinFS, one was running FSX, the other XP11.

I was hoping that by placing the aircraft in the same location I'd see both aircraft in both sims, this wasn't the case.

What I did notice was in the JoinFS: Users box, both aircraft were listed, but on each machine the other was listed as routed (rather than yes) in the Connected section.

Is this why I couldn't see the other aircraft in each sim? I'll have to get a remote friend to help me test if this is the case.

Thanks for looking
ATC Roo

Re: Should I be seeing aircraft?

Post by ATC Roo »

I've had issues in the past seeing some aircraft when I've connected a JoinFS instance to another over a LAN.

The way I found around it was to connect to a 3rd party not on my LAN.

What happens if you click the Global Session tickbox on both your JoinFS clients?
RandomThoughts

Post by RandomThoughts »

Thanks for the reply,

After posting I realised I could use a 4G connection through my phone to connect the laptop (XP11), but this wasn't very reliable. In JoinFS: Hubs a large number of hubs showed as orange (no text) in the Status column, and my own hub was listed three times, two with orange / no status, the other listed as online, which after a few attempts I was able to connect to. I'm not going to dwell on this since it's unlikely anyone's going to use 4G for this sort of thing.

Another thing I noticed was that FSX only showed aircraft detail of the XP11 aircraft, even though the 'Show nicknames in simulator' checkbox was checked on all instances of JoinFS. XP11 showed no detail on either aircraft.
RandomThoughts wrote:What I did notice was in the JoinFS: Users box, both aircraft were listed, but on each machine the other was listed as routed (rather than yes) in the Connected section.
This is still the case when connecting each sim on different networks, so is probably normal.

I hope to be testing with a friend later today so will probably post an update later
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

The port (default 6112) may also be a problem.

2 x PCs trying to use the same port.

I have one client using port 6112 and another using 6111.

Both ports are forward to the relevant PC in my router.

Connect each of your clients to a public server or click Global session on each client and you should see both aircraft in each client.
RandomThoughts

Post by RandomThoughts »

ATC Roo wrote:The port (default 6112) may also be a problem.
Indeed it was (and I should have seen that myself!!)

Now I see both aircraft in XP11, though on FSX the XP11 plane is buried in the tarmac!!
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Good stuff.

Altimeter/QNH is incorrect?

I think there was a post about elevation correction,.
Theres a tickbox in the settings too, but I've never had the issue so cant help with any of that I'm afraid.