VRS tacpack and superbug

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
blackbeard77

VRS tacpack and superbug

Post by blackbeard77 »

Hi,

Is JoinFS fully compatible with VRS tacpack and superbug? I'm running P3D v4 and when i do MP it seems that when i hit the other player, i can see his plane getting damaged but nothing happen to him. can keeps flying normal. Is there anything specific i need to do to get it work?

regards
edakridge

Re: VRS tacpack and superbug

Post by edakridge »

We tried for several years and never could get it to work right. Ground targets yes, A/A targets no.
TexxasAl

Re: VRS tacpack and superbug

Post by TexxasAl »

blackbeard77 wrote:Hi,

Is JoinFS fully compatible with VRS tacpack and superbug? I'm running P3D v4 and when i do MP it seems that when i hit the other player, i can see his plane getting damaged but nothing happen to him. can keeps flying normal. Is there anything specific i need to do to get it work?

regards
Not sure what it is that want JoinFS to "DO"?

First qualification: Don't tell us all about how great DCS is. This ain't a DCS product or platform, so don't bother with the comparison.

What it does do is:
1. enable you to track, lock, and attack objects spawned/originating on another machine
2. when you hit the other target, you see it struck, crash, and disappear from your radar.

What more can a medium for computer emulation do in this area:

Do you want JoinFS to send a "magic bullet" across the connection, which will cause the struck object to immolate, and vanish from every machine in the communication session?

In the case of an actual "airplane" being struck, since this target is broadcast across the communications session, how should JoinFS know whether the a/c is merely an AI object, or is the actual airplane being flown by the other participant?

If it is the actual player's aircraft, how does JoinFS know whether it is a TacPack-enabled aircraft, or one of the vast majority of non-combatant aircraft usually present in flight simulation?

Assuming it is, in fact, an actual combatant TacPack-equipped aircraft, what would you have JoinFS do? Damage and/or Crash the plane, thereby resetting the players simulation back to starting point?

Some things to keep in mind:

JoinFS is Freeware, and is given to the entire Flight Simulation Community without charge

JoinFS is a stabilized product, not under development at this time

Like everything else in Flight Simulation (with the possible exception of the VRS Pro Platform currently under development), military aviation of any sort represents far less that 1 % of the user base. It has been that way since FSX/MP let us gather statistics.

Just like all the "holes" in FSX@War, we have learned to operate around the missing features. Whatever weaknesses you perceive in JoinFS regarding A2A combat, perhaps you should remember how far we've come?

In the early days of MP, A2A combat was scored, graded, evaluated and performed by:

1. flying up in back of somebody (usually with tags on, so you could see who it was)

2. Calling "GUNS, GUNS, GUNS" over the radio (or whatever communications medium you were using)

3. Both of the affected participants simultaneously (or Not?) hitting PAUSE on their simulator

4. Taking a screenshot, and saving it for further review

4. Un-pausing the sessions, and continuing on your merry way.

Now then, tell me again how lacking in facilities this freeware JoinFS product is?

BTW, be sure to tell me how we can remedy these faults.

Incidentally, I'm not a developer, or in any way associated with Peter or JoinFS. I'm just a pilot who has found a way to get over 90% of what I need from a product that was never conceived to do what we ask it to do.

So far as "grading" your performance in A2A combat, the TacView log provides (already there, and for free) detailed evaluation of air combat performance, showing target and weapons functionality, down to the foot of separation. Pretty darn good, if you ask me.

Thanks

Al :mrgreen: