Another port forwarding question

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
MartinCANCoast

Another port forwarding question

Post by MartinCANCoast »

I downloaded the client and with some friends tried to connect. On my end I have FSX-SE running and the JoinFS client. Both the Simulator and Network icons are green. I have provided the IP as displayed in the "My IP" field to the other pilots. They are unable to connect. I've port forwarded 6112 to my PC's local IP which is behind a router. I've tried using TCP and TCP/UDP and neither of the other pilots can connect. Any suggestions?

Oh I'd be happy to help test things as you progress. I use FSX, FSX-Se and X-Plane 10.
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Another port forwarding question

Post by Peter »

Hi Martin,

You should be okay with port forwarding enabled. A couple of things to check: Is the Pilot count still on '1'. If it's on '1' then they definitely haven't connected. If it goes above 1, then someone has connected. From the View menu, you can also check the list of aircraft, network nodes and text output to see if there are any clues there.

When you ran JoinFS did you get the usual Windows message to allow JoinFS through the Windows firewall and did you select 'Yes/Allow'?

The IP Address shown in 'My IP' should be your public IP address. You can double check this by typing "my ip" into google. That will be the IP address that other people need to enter into the 'Join' box.

Did you try connecting to them instead? Or get someone else to 'Create' and then join them.

Version 0.4.2 is quite stable at the moment. This evening I flew with six pilots for over an hour without any problems.

Oh, and don't forget, everyone needs to be running JoinFS and using Free Flight. No one should be connecting with the Multiplayer menu in FSX.

Best regards,
Peter
MartinCANCoast

Post by MartinCANCoast »

u should be okay with port forwarding enabled. A couple of things to check: Is the Pilot count still on '1'. If it's on '1' then they definitely haven't connected. If it goes above 1, then someone has connected. From the View menu, you can also check the list of aircraft, network nodes and text output to see if there are any clues there.

Didn't go above 1 at anytime

When you ran JoinFS did you get the usual Windows message to allow JoinFS through the Windows firewall and did you select 'Yes/Allow'?

Didn't see this at all. I have windows firewall turned off

The IP Address shown in 'My IP' should be your public IP address. You can double check this by typing "my ip" into google. That will be the IP address that other people need to enter into the 'Join' box.

Checked using ipconfig and it's correct

Did you try connecting to them instead? Or get someone else to 'Create' and then join them.

Going to try that tonight

Version 0.4.2 is quite stable at the moment. This evening I flew with six pilots for over an hour without any problems.

Oh, and don't forget, everyone needs to be running JoinFS and using Free Flight. No one should be connecting with the Multiplayer menu in FSX.

Yes everybody using Free Flight. We all have experience with FSD Servers, Dafsim and FSCloud so not newbies :)

Thanks for the offer of help we'll play with it a bit more and see what happens.
MartinCANCoast

Post by MartinCANCoast »

Peter working now, thanks. It appears that all pilots should port forward 6112. Once we did that no problem. One comment though it appears not to see helicopters. I am not complaining just wanted to point it out. You have a fantastic start here and I'll be contributing to your efforts in the only way I can.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to seeing your project advance.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

MartinCANCoast wrote:Peter working now, thanks. It appears that all pilots should port forward 6112. Once we did that no problem. One comment though it appears not to see helicopters. I am not complaining just wanted to point it out. You have a fantastic start here and I'll be contributing to your efforts in the only way I can.
Really glad that you have had a successful flight. It's interesting that you found everyone had to port forward. Using peer-to-peer over home routers can be fraught with problems. However, under the hood I'm actually doing a bit of dynamic routing to get around the awkward routers and configurations. It just depends on the circumstances of each session.

Re: Helicopters. This has already been noted and fixed for the next version ;)

Best regards,
Peter
MartinCANCoast

Post by MartinCANCoast »

Thanks Peter, it's looking good!