Aircraft radius

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
vedum

Aircraft radius

Post by vedum »

Hi Peter,
Aircraft are only inserted into the sim within a 100nm radius.

Is this 100nm setting is fixed?
If so, could we have the opportunity to change it?

Congratulations again for all the work you do. It's awesome. Our group was looking for a long time a flight software network at once simple and effective. Everything is present in JoinFS. Great !!

Best regards,
Stéphane
www.virtual-flying.com -
LCA - Les Copains d'Abord
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Aircraft radius

Post by Peter »

Hi, Stéphane.

Ha, I knew this would get asked as soon as I prepared the version. :)

Yes, I will make it configurable in the settings.

Any suggestions on the range, 15nm - 100nm?

Peter
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Could it be extended Peter?

I'm thinking of center Radar controllers?
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

ATC Roo wrote:Could it be extended Peter?

Sure, what sort of limit would you consider realistic, for controllers?

Peter
Tisor

Post by Tisor »

Peter wrote:
ATC Roo wrote:Could it be extended Peter?

Sure, what sort of limit would you consider realistic, for controllers?

Peter
For reference, IVAC (IVAO Network ATC Software) goes from 5nm to 300nm
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Thinking that London control covers from the south to just under manchester, with Scottish Control covering the rest of the UK.

300NM?
vedum

Post by vedum »

5nm to 300nm is perfect !
Dan-TXHills

Post by Dan-TXHills »

I am good with going to 300 NM. 100 NM is too small a range - here I am thinking of organized hops where you may have several aircraft spread out over a leg that is 200 to 300 NM long.

My question is - what advantage does limiting range provide? I presume less server load, etc. and with that make the assumption that any increase is proportional to the square of the radius so if limiting the range provides a big advantage then 300 NM it is. If not, I would ask for 500 NM - since pilots tend to fly regionally (at least when they fly together) that should cover most scenarios.

Dan
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Dan-TXHills wrote: My question is - what advantage does limiting range provide? I presume less server load, etc. and with that make the assumption that any increase is proportional to the square of the radius so if limiting the range provides a big advantage then 300 NM it is. If not, I would ask for 500 NM - since pilots tend to fly regionally (at least when they fly together) that should cover most scenarios.
The problem at the moment is that JoinFS inserts aircraft even if they are on another continent. I noticed that FSX actually fails to create these aircraft sometimes, especially if they are on the ground. Which meant it was constantly trying to insert the aircraft and possibly causing some frame rate issues that have been noticed. The radius limit only stops them going into the sim, you can still view all aircraft in the aircraft list and use the Follow/Join features no matter where they are globally. But for ATC, they will need to go into the sim to be detected.

Peter
Dan-TXHills

Post by Dan-TXHills »

Thanks for the explanation. I have noticed aircraft popping in and out of the aircraft list - seems to happen when they are more than 4500 NM away.

So, I vote for a 500 NM radius. I have never had any issues event with aircraft more than 1000 NM away so if you can bump it up to 500 NM without the risk of problems for others that would be great. If we have them in the sim then we can follow them on radar, moving map and our modified camera view which allows us to have a view just outside other aircraft.

Dan
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Dan-TXHills wrote:Thanks for the explanation. I have noticed aircraft popping in and out of the aircraft list - seems to happen when they are more than 4500 NM away.
You should no longer see that in 1.0.12.

5 - 500 nm it is, then.

Thanks,
Peter
Dan-TXHills

Post by Dan-TXHills »

Thanks!

Dan
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Great, just as we've settled on a range, I just found that if you are using JoinFS for controller purposes, there's no way of getting the controller's world position because there is no user aircraft, which means you can't calculate the distance and use a radius. This isn't really a problem because I'm adding an option for 'ATC Mode' to the settings, but it does mean that I'll have to insert all traffic into the sim for ATC Mode. So the radius issue becomes irrelevant in the case of ATC. Only if you are flying will it be monitoring which aircraft get loaded into the simulator.

So, with the above in mind, the radius only needs to be 5 - 50nm, or something like that? Basically as far as you can visually see from your aircraft.

Peter
Tisor

Post by Tisor »

Peter wrote:Great, just as we've settled on a range, I just found that if you are using JoinFS for controller purposes, there's no way of getting the controller's world position because there is no user aircraft, which means you can't calculate the distance and use a radius. This isn't really a problem because I'm adding an option for 'ATC Mode' to the settings, but it does mean that I'll have to insert all traffic into the sim for ATC Mode. So the radius issue becomes irrelevant in the case of ATC. Only if you are flying will it be monitoring which aircraft get loaded into the simulator.

So, with the above in mind, the radius only needs to be 5 - 50nm, or something like that? Basically as far as you can visually see from your aircraft.

Peter
Easy, when detecting connection as ATC, ask the pilot for the ICAO code of the Airport he is based on (or nearest one). Then find the coordinates on that airport and done. Not sure if that can be done with SimConnect. If not, request coordinates to the user or something like that.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Thanks, Tisor, I like that.

I'll be able to pull the numbers from the web somewhere, given the airport ICAO.

Peter
Tisor

Post by Tisor »

Peter wrote:Thanks, Tisor, I like that.

I'll be able to pull the numbers from the web somewhere, given the airport ICAO.

Peter
Maybe you can parse info from here:

http://openflights.org/html/apsearch
Dan-TXHills

Post by Dan-TXHills »

Peter wrote: So, with the above in mind, the radius only needs to be 5 - 50nm, or something like that? Basically as far as you can visually see from your aircraft.
Peter
If I understand this correctly your sim will only see aircraft that are 50 NM away (although I admit that I do not understand the 5 NM to 50 NM part - what does the lower limit define?). Is that correct? And if so, I presume that moving map systems like Plan-G will also only see aircraft that are 50 NM away. This will not work well for those of us who follow large group flights that are spread out over several hundred NM if we are not able to see these folks on the map systems we use.

Dan
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Dan,

the range will be 5 - 500. So if you're covering a large area, set it to the max. Or if you are just doing formation flights in a circuit, you can set it to the minimum. I imagine most people will just leave it at the default of 50nm.

Do you need more than 500 nm, I can increase it if you like?

Peter
Dan-TXHills

Post by Dan-TXHills »

I now understand - the range can be selected (light bulb, albeit dim, finally comes on!). That being the case, and knowing (or at least based on experience making an educated guess) then should the maximum not be something like 2000 NM (or even 3000 NM with the caveat, similar to your recommendation to set frame rate at <= 35 FPS, recommending a setting of, say, <= 1000 NM as higher frame rates may cause [insert appropriate technical language for planes jumping in and out])?

Dan
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Sounds fair enough.

Thanks,
Peter