Hub

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
ASC003

Hub

Post by ASC003 »

Having purchased a new pc i now find that I can join a hub but no one can join my hub, it is showing as online, I have done all the obvious like firewall , opened up the ports in the hub etc but to no avail, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Geronimo

Re: Hub

Post by Geronimo »

Hi

From your text it appears you have not setup the portforwading in your router/modem that connects your home network to your internet provider.

What is a portforward and what is it used for? I try to explain this with an analogy:
  • You have put up at a public place a leaflet with an invitation to come and fly with you. The invitation shows you home address --> You setup JoinFS in public hub mode
  • You have unlocked your front door so people can come in --> Opened you firewall
  • But people that come to your home to fly with you have no clue where in the house you are (basement, kitchen, first floor, etc.)
  • You have to put a paper at the front door that says: Find me on the first floor to the left! --> Portforward in the router/modem
If a friend wants to fly with you, his JoinFS will send a message to your hub that you have advertised in public. When your router/modem gets this message it does not have a clue to what PC the message should be sent (--> forwarded). Therefor you have to tell your router/modem to what PC the message should be sent (this is required even if you have only one PC on your home network!).

To setup a successful portforward, there are two requirements:
  • You have to know how to log into your router/modem (--> router IP, administration account and password of the router)
  • You have to fix the IP address of the PC where your flight simulator is located
The portforward to setup is for the port used by JoinFS. If you have not changed the port in JoinFS it is 6112. Else it is the port you have specified in the JoinFS settings. The protocol to forward is UDP (if the router does not allow to be as specific you can also forward TCP/UDP). The forward therefore will define the following:

'Any incoming IP address' with port 6112 and protocol UDP (or TCP/UDP) must be forwarded to 'IP address of FS-PC' with port 6112

To setup the port forward is an easy thing if you know what you are doing. If it sounds complicated to you, get somebody with PC knowledge to help you.

Much success!
Geronimo
Last edited by Geronimo on Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
ASC003

Post by ASC003 »

Hi Geroninmo , I have opened up the port 6112 - 6122, when I look on the hub list it shows my server but my friends are unable to connect to me, I am able to connect to their servers.
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

Hi ASC003

Do you happen to have a name (or are you a robot)?

Where have you opened the port: on the router or your PC? By opending a port you only say in the above anlogy to the front door that persons wearing a 'JoinFS' t-shirt can pass. That is fine but the portforward is still missing. Only with it can your friends connect to your JoinFS hub running on your flight simulator PC.

Have nice day
Geronimo
ProAvia

Post by ProAvia »

Have you set up a static IP address on the new PC?
Is your router set to forward 6112-6122 UDP to that specific static IP address?