Problems with Logging in to a Server

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
Dan23452767645

Problems with Logging in to a Server

Post by Dan23452767645 »

Hello Peter,

My name is Dan and I fly for the US Central flight simulator group who have recently migrated to your program.

I am currently having problems with logging in to their servers. I have attached a screenshot of the screen when I log in, I have covered my IP for obvious reasons.. I have the correct IP and have set it to the default port. I'm not sure what I need to do. Any help would me mostly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Dan
Attachments
Image for forum.png
Image for forum.png (20.71 KiB) Viewed 6133 times
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Problems with Logging in to a Server

Post by Peter »

Hi Dan,

Yes, that looks like it has failed to connect. First, could you double check the IP address. This has happened to others including myself, where a comma has accidentally been inserted instead of a dot. For example 10.20.30,40 It's difficult to notice any commas. If the IP address is okay, try entering it directly into the Join box just to see if that works.

Another possibility is that your Windows firewall is blocking the connection. When you first ran JoinFS, did Windows ask if you wanted to allow it through the firewall? You need to allow it at that point.

Could you also check the menu, View|Monitor and look at the messages displayed. That may give some additional clues.

I assume the server you are connecting to is using the default port 6112?

Hope this helps, if not let me know.
Peter
Dan23452767645

Post by Dan23452767645 »

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the speedy reply, I have tweaked the IP with all your suggestions, there was no change. When I first ran your program, the mentioned message about the firewall came up and I did allow it, so it can't be that.

When I looked at the monitor this is what I found:

"Looking for simulator...
Started
Looking for simulator...
[2 times]
SimConnect 10.0.62615.0
Microsoft Flight Simulator X 10.0.62615.0
Joining network"

It looks like I have not yet connected because it hasn't come up with anything that says it cannot connect. I'm not sure about the port of the server, I remember Jack talking about the port being 6113, but that doesn't work either.

Hope this information helps,
Dan
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

You can also specify the port number directly in the text box, for example, x.x.x.x:6113 Try both 6112 and 6113.

I don't think it's likely to be your router. In a command prompt window, can you try 'ping x.x.x.x' to see if you get replies?

Another thing you could try is to talk to another pilot who is currently connected and ask them for their IP address and then connect to that. They will probably need to have port forwarding enabled for that to work.
Dan23452767645

Post by Dan23452767645 »

Hi,

Specifying the port number within the IP box doesn't seem to work. I can ping the IP and I do get replies.

I am currently trying to get hold of a pilot on the server, but it seems there is not very many people on.

I will update you further once I have the IP,
Dan
Dan23452767645

Post by Dan23452767645 »

Hi Peter,

It seems that some pilots cannot connect to the server also, so I shall enquire to Jack when he gets back. Thank you for your very speedy help. I hope to see you on the server soon. Are you in the US Central group, as there has been a mention of a training session in what looks like a supersonic jet of some sorts as I remember you mentioning that you would like to get into those sorts of planes.

Thanks for the help,
Dan
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Ah, I wonder if the JoinFS running on the server is pre-1.0.9. That might be worth checking. I do try to keep things backward compatible, but with a lot of updates it's not always possible at the moment.

Thanks, I will keep an eye out for the training session. Hopefully see you there.

Peter
Dan23452767645

Post by Dan23452767645 »

Hi Peter

Yes, I shall ask Jack when he gets back. I remember him saying he could connect and he might not have updated as I'm not sure if he knows about the update.

I host an ATC session every so often on the server if that is something you would be interested in joining?

I found this article helpful for the tower: http://pmem.uk/joinfs/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58

Thanks,
Dan