JFS Connection

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
aeronauta

JFS Connection

Post by aeronauta »

Hi Peter,We have a problem in that when I am on a MP with 6 or 8 other users we can see some but not all of them (they do not appear in the AC list and show not connected in the Users) . This is using the DTP server. Today I connected directly to a user in WA (AUS) via create with my IP and Join with no problem , then we tried the same via DTP and cannot see each other ( no User in User List.) Is there any special setting I am missing or others are missing for this to happen???

Can you please help , .
Peter
Site Admin

Re: JFS Connection

Post by Peter »

Hi,

do you have port forwarding enabled on your router for port 6112. That may help.

If you look at the User list and PM me with a screenshot I might be able to get an idea of what's happening. Also check the Monitor window to see if there are any errors or warnings.

Peter
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

Thank you Peter, will test again , but interesting that with the same settings doing a create Join works OK and via the DTP server does not..

Jorge
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

Tried this evening with friends all in DTP server I can only see one N776 I am adding the log and a pic of the windows Monitor, aircraft and Users and the log

Jorge
Attachments
log.zip
(999 Bytes) Downloaded 319 times
JFS.JPG
JFS.JPG (199.12 KiB) Viewed 7816 times
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

New log and new User window..
previous one may be wrong..

Jorge

ps the entries in red are the other guys I want to fly with...
Attachments
jfs2.JPG
jfs2.JPG (46.72 KiB) Viewed 7816 times
log.zip
(1.43 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

I was able to connect to that server without any problems, although I've only tried it once, I'll try it a few more times when it's busy to test it out.

Do you know if it's only you that is having problems? Anyone else have the same issue? Are other people connecting successfully with full connectivity?

I suspect it may be your internet set up, but that's only my first guess. What is your internet connection like? Is it cable or 3G? What maximum bandwidth do you have and is it usually a reliable connection? What kind of router do you use, is it one provided by your ISP? Do you have it configured for port forwarding correctly?

Peter
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

Can you tell me what is the meaning of the error shown in the LOG ? I am the only one getting it... as you see the user GUI shows some ID's wich are the same that have been removed due to this error , they are the other users I want to connect to...

Jorge
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Jorge,

Good point. That message is very likely to be related to your connection problem.

In the next version 1.2.3 (test version is out today), I've added an extra piece of information to that error message. So if you see it again then post just the error message shown and it should help to narrow down the problem. I may need to add more information in the next few versions as well to properly identify the cause.

Thanks.
Peter
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

Thank you Peter, here is a test I did this morning ... I see your change ..now I get the error 3...this was by myself , I do not know who are the others , tonight we have an MP flight and will test again..

Jorge
Attachments
log.zip
(574 Bytes) Downloaded 315 times
JKS3.JPG
JKS3.JPG (157.58 KiB) Viewed 7730 times
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

Trying MP just now , no joy...
Have set my router as follows as per the Pics , and open JFS and without a SIM I connect and get the situation as in the Piic JFS 3..

Hope this helps..

Jorge
Attachments
JSF 3.JPG
JSF 3.JPG (137.79 KiB) Viewed 7721 times
JFS Port 1.JPG
JFS Port 1.JPG (57.77 KiB) Viewed 7721 times
JFS port.JPG
JFS port.JPG (49.17 KiB) Viewed 7721 times
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

If after that I hit refresh on the Users winow I get the next situation..

Jorge
Attachments
JFS 4.JPG
JFS 4.JPG (125.06 KiB) Viewed 6831 times
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

This is quite unusual, given that you're running the correct version. Thanks for the error message. That has helped a little bit but I will need to add further information in the next version.

After the refresh, those user connections with the problem get removed from the list, so that last snapshot is to be expected.

The error message suggests that it's a bug in JoinFS rather than network configuration, but I wouldn't rule that out just yet.

There are a couple of things you could try. I take it those screenshots were from your router configuration? JoinFS only uses UDP, not TCP. So I would change your settings to UDP-only on 6112. See if that makes a difference. If not, then try changing it from 6112 to just port 6000 UDP only. Then go to JoinFS File|Settings and enable and set the local port to 6000. Then try connecting again and see if that works.

One point of interest. On my router, as well as the port number I have to set the internal IP address of the computer that I want to redirect to (e.g. 192.168.*.*). Yours doesn't seem to have that so I'm wondering how that would actually work correctly. I'll have a look at some online manuals and see if we're missing something.

For your information, JoinFS doesn't use UPnP, it relies on direct configuration of the port forwarding on the router.

Peter
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Another thing to check is your router's firewall security setting. You may need to reduce it. Obviously do this at your own risk, but on my router I have it set to a lower firewall setting. Your computers behind the router should all have proper Windows firewall security in place as normal. It's just that the router's policy may be overly aggressive if it's on the maximum firewall setting.

Peter
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

Thank you Peter, first , I have Firewall disabled in the Router.

The router port forwarding has a computer name aero , when I set the Internal IP I specify the IP 10.0.0.1 and it translate to aero , that is correct. My local Net is addressed like that.

I was tryng to find which port TCP or UDP was JFS using and to be safe I used any.. will change to udp and remove UpnP.

Some time ago I had also a problem with the DTP server (Zoolander, has the port ixed to 6464) and after much checking the problem was his server port , I really don't remember what he did but I think it had to do with the Use port tick in File<Settings..

A lso last night another user in the group was having the same problem as me , we could see each other but neither one of us could see two of the 6 users...

Will do some more testing changing the port and the router forwarding..

Jorge
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

Nothing seems to make a difference , I will try this friday to create a hub without a specific Port (no tick on use port) and see..
Jorge