HELP PLEASE?

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
IZ0JUB

HELP PLEASE?

Post by IZ0JUB »

I installed the software and fired it up with my FSX Steam to test with a friend. Although it was showing the sim and network in GREEN the pilot number did not change. Then did the port forwarding on our routers and the pilot number changed from 1 to 2 so we were connected?

However we could not see each others aircraft using the default Cessna 172 in FSX Steam.

So we must be doing some thing wrong, but what?

Any helpers gratefully received!!!!!

Kindest Regards,

Michael.
Peter
Site Admin

Re: HELP PLEASE?

Post by Peter »

Hi Michael,

Sorry you are having problems with JoinFS. If the number of pilots changed to 2 then yes, you are now connected. The best thing to look at after that is from the menu, View|Aircraft. You should see at least two aircraft, one owned by 'Me' and one owned by the 'Network'. If you do see those then they should be in the simulator. You can check by right-clicking in the simulator window and selecting the aircraft traffic to view where it is.

If you can't see the other pilot in View|Aircraft, then something is wrong. I would suggest both of you close JoinFS and run it again. It will remember your IP address or bookmark, so you can just hit 'Create' or 'Join'. This often fixes the problem.

If no luck after that then you could check the log output from the menu, View|Monitor and paste it into a post here, that may shed some light.

Best regards,
Peter
IZ0JUB

Post by IZ0JUB »

Hi again Peter,

Firstly thank you so much for your prompt attention. In desperation I uninstalled the software and downloaded the latest version 1.02 (which my friend was using) and behold it works 100% OK. As one of the main contributors to Sim Haven Forum I have written about your amazing software and added your web link so a BIG THANK YOU for ALL your hard work that has gone on behind the scenes.

Cheers, Michael.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Thanks, Michael. I really appreciate that. :)
IZ0JUB

Post by IZ0JUB »

Hi again Peter and sorry to bother you again.

This morning I updated the software to the current 1.03 version and so did my friends however we are unable to connect to each other, the orange will not change to green although the sim is green and running OK. Two of us are running FSX Steam and the other FSX Gold.

We all use Skype for RT and wondered if that might be an issue although I switched my Skype off and it made no difference.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers Michael.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Michael,

No bother, I'd rather know of any issues with the new version.

Could you check 'File|Settings' and make sure that the 'Choose port' is disabled, this will mean it definitely uses 6112 as the connection port. Could you also check 'View|Monitor' to see if there are any problems there, and maybe copy and paste the messages here.

Did you connect in the same way as with the previous version?

It's unlikely to be Skype related.

Peter
IZ0JUB

Post by IZ0JUB »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for getting back so fast, I checked out the settings and the box is un-ticked, if I tick it it selects port 6112 so should I leave it ticked or not please?

On the subject of ports my friends and I have had to port forward our routers to get the connection so maybe we are doing some thing wrong here as reading various forums about this subject makes anyone go dizzy!!

So what port and or ports should we have to forward to get FSX Steam version connected through please?

Hopefully this afternoon we can test it again as a group and let you know what happens.

Cheers Michael.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Yes, leave the Choose Port box unticked and it will default to 6112.

Port forwarding can be annoying but it should work. Just make sure your router has an entry for port forwarding 6112 to the local IP address of your machine.

To check if it is a port problem. Try both using the normal FSX Multiplayer and specify the IP address. If FSX Multiplayer works then JoinFS should also work.

If you still have problems. Then when you try to connect to each other, open the menu, 'View|Network' and you ought to see the remote PC in the list. There is a column for the IP address, use that to check which port it is trying to use.

If it still fails, do you have the old 1.0.2 installer for JoinFS. Try uninstalling and reinstalling that just to see if the old version still works. If you don't have 1.0.2, use this direct link: http://pmem.uk/joinfs/JoinFS-1.0.2.msi. It will be useful to know if you find that 1.0.2 works and 1.0.3 doesn't.

Thanks,
Peter
Last edited by Peter on Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Michael,

I have the latest test version up and running at the moment with the correct port forwarded, if you and your friends would like to try it.

If successful then you know it is a port issue (not the software you have) and we can try and talk you through making the port available.

I'll send the IP to you now in a PM.

Roo
IZ0JUB

Post by IZ0JUB »

MANY THANKS Roo I have PM you Kindest Regards Cheers Michael.
IZ0JUB

Post by IZ0JUB »

Hi Roo, That's working 100% OK so my ports are working then.................thanks Michael
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

The host (as it were) needs the port forwarded Michael.

So if you connected to the one I have OK, that eliminates the software.

So your software is 100% OK.

But your port needs forwarding correctly.

I would first check that it is forwarded in your Router.
If that is definitely correct then it may need to be added to an internal firewall you have.
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

And just rereading the above....

I notice that the other aircraft connecting to you are showing in the aircraft list.

So is everybody you are trying to see broadcasting?
IZ0JUB

Post by IZ0JUB »

Hi again Roo, I haven't tested it with friends at the moment. I also tested it in FSX Steam multi-player direct connection and that was 100% OK too. I dont understand about the port forwarding other than watching a YT and setting it up that way. I will PM my port forwarding info to you.

Thanks Michael.
IZ0JUB

Post by IZ0JUB »

Hi Peter and Roo thank you for all your help.

The good news is that on my friends PC he has port forwarded and I have left mine well alone!!! With this set up and both using the latest 1.03 software it works 100% OK and with no stutters and the great thing about it is that you still have complete control of ALL the scenery, weather, aircraft etc not like using the "normal" multi-player were most of the tabs are blanked off.

Again thanks a million guys for the assistance.

Cheers and beers Michael.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Excellent news, Michael.

Another suggestion, you may find that you can only connect one way with two pilots, if a router is being awkward. But as long as you know who is able to create a new network, then always try to get that person to create the network. If you find that people struggle to connect to your JoinFS client, all it means is you are unlikely to be able to 'Create', but you will always be able to 'Join' someone who's router is all set up and ready to work

Peter.
IZ0JUB

Post by IZ0JUB »

Good Morning Peter,

Yes it would be good if I like others can be the "virtual host" too. To this end I checked my firewall and Join FS was ONLY ticked for local not public access so have ticked both boxes now and will test again hopefully later today.

It would appear on the face of it when I installed Join FS by default it only ticks the local box and not the public as well in the firewall?

Will let you know what happens.

Cheers Michael.
IZ0JUB

Post by IZ0JUB »

Hi again,

Tested but not working with me as the "virtual host" the other way around my friend as the "host" is 100% OK.

Scratching head................................cheers Michael.
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Still sounds like a port issue Michael.

What make is your router?
IZ0JUB

Post by IZ0JUB »

Hi,

The router is a TP - Link type TLWR 841 N thanks Michael.