Running JoinFS on a 2nd Networked PC

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
JazzFunk

Running JoinFS on a 2nd Networked PC

Post by JazzFunk »

Hi,

I have not yet installed JoinFS and know very little about it but I know people from my FlightSim club http://www.gatwick-fsg.or.uk who have just started getting into it and say It is an excellent product.

I would like to ask the question if it is possible to install JoinFS on a second networked PC and connect to the master FS PC running P3d v3.4, using Simconnect, just as AS2016 and FSCloud do currently on my setup?

Thank you.

Ted.
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Running JoinFS on a 2nd Networked PC

Post by Peter »

Hi Ted,

yes, this is fine. All you need to do is find out the internal IP address of your machines. I usually use the command line tool 'ipconfig' to get it. It will likely be something similar to '192.168.0.3'. Then simply specify that in the JoinFS main window and it should connect ok.

However, if you wish to mix internal and external connections, for example have two PCs on your local network and join up with an external session then this isn't fully supported yet. You may find that it partly works if you specify the external session on each machine. This is on the 'to do' list, and I shall probably have a way of displaying both internal and external IP addresses in JoinFS. Currently it only shows your external internet address as 'My IP'

Hope that helps,
Peter
JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk »

Hi Peter,

Thank you for such a rapid response. Given your answer, it looks like I am all set to go :D

Regards,

Ted.
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Peter wrote:Hi Ted,

yes, this is fine. All you need to do is find out the internal IP address of your machines. I usually use the command line tool 'ipconfig' to get it. It will likely be something similar to '192.168.0.3'. Then simply specify that in the JoinFS main window and it should connect ok.
Peter
I have bought me a new toy, Pete. Couldn't get windows to run on the Raspberry Pi-3, so have consigned THAT to be a KODI device.
What I HAVE done, is spent this weeks OAP on a DFRobots Lattepanda. Wassat? Same form-factor, nearly, as the Raspberry, but is a quad-core board running Win 10 32 bit

https://www.dfrobot.com/category-177.html

THIS is going to house my hub, instead of my number two puter. why? when the No 2 Puter works well?

10 watts consumption should answer THAT. (and because i CAN)

Now, another problem raises its balding little head, The hub can "see: everybody all the time, some of the clients can "see" everybody all of the time. Some of the clients can only see some of the people some of the time, and every other variation you can think of.
Dan tells me that this is something to do with the fact that the hub is on the same intranet as one of the clients.

Is there a fix?

Bob
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Bob,

That looks great. As you say, a quiet and cheap way to run a permanent hub. I'm assuming that the port forwarding is set correctly on you router. Which really just leaves that issue that, at the moment, you can't mix external and internal clients. It needs a bit of work to get that working. If it was running behind your router and only people from outside of your local network connected then it should work fine.

Peter
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

The way I connect Grumpy, is to connect my JOINFS client to a user that is already connected to my hub.

If that helps.
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Thanks, Roo, Not an Aussie, are you? As in Kanga....

I shall try that, I suppose that a hub is technically a client? The Panda is the Hub, my FSX Puter is a client.

I have another problem, that more money will fix.
I wanted to use a Samsung tv, model LA19R71B as the monitor. Nope, damn thing could care less.
I suspect a certain disparity caused by the Samsung is at least 10 yrs old, and itas sole HDMI port does not like the HDMI output of the panda.
So, hi me into town, purchase at exorbitant expense, an HDMI to VGA converter. Quell Horreur!! not colour, that's for sure, not monochrome either, duochrome? A washed out sort of pastel

This will go back, and I will order me the fancy 7 Inch LCD screen and touch gizmo.

BUGGER!!!! this ws supposed to SAVE me money, not make me into the last of the big spenders.
GRRRR

B
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Bob, couldn't you use TeamViewer or similar over the network instead of using a physical monitor?

Peter
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Peter wrote:Bob, couldn't you use TeamViewer or similar over the network instead of using a physical monitor?

Peter

Yep, I tried that and its OK.
now to set TeamV to autostart on the Panda as well as JFS.
A bit of experimentation for I have never used TeamV on an unmanned computer.

Anyway, so far, it is just another puter on my network.
disabled DHCP on the Panda and gave it a permanent address.
Now to trawl the lattepanda forum to see if there is some way of making it auto-boot windows after a power outage.

B
Dan-TXHills

Post by Dan-TXHills »

ATC Roo wrote:The way I connect Grumpy, is to connect my JOINFS client to a user that is already connected to my hub.

If that helps.
Does that not require the person you are joining to have the appropriate port forwarded on their computer?

Dan
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Dan-TXHills wrote:
ATC Roo wrote:The way I connect Grumpy, is to connect my JOINFS client to a user that is already connected to my hub.

If that helps.
Does that not require the person you are joining to have the appropriate port forwarded on their computer?

Dan
Having a port forwarded always helps for any program.
But I've never asked if the people I connect through have a port forwarded for JFS.
The theory being JFS is using one of their ports successfully already and if the hub dropped everybody would jump to somebody else anyway.
Dan-TXHills

Post by Dan-TXHills »

ATC Roo wrote: Having a port forwarded always helps for any program.
But I've never asked if the people I connect through have a port forwarded for JFS.
The theory being JFS is using one of their ports successfully already and if the hub dropped everybody would jump to somebody else anyway.
Thanks Roo - certainly worth a try.

A while back the host lost connection (power outage) and someone tried to join through the IP address of another person already in the session. That did not work so I concluded that it might be due to the person who the new pilot connected to not having the port forwarded. Sounds like that may have been a faulty conclusion.

I have the same issue as Bob (Grumpy) when I connect my 'flying' computer to my own session (which runs on a separate computer on my LAN). Got that same 'Abe Lincoln' effect (you can see some of the pilots all of the time ...). Bob's discovery of his Frapuccino Latte Decaf Panda on Ice gadget is an intriguing option for a simple, small and economical to operate Hub. I know Peter is looking into this issue (and it is certainly not a huge priority because of your solution) so we'll give this a try and see what happens.

Dan
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Dan-TXHills wrote:

If that helps.

Dan

"Should" not, Dan, because its not actually a hub that you are joining.
If you recall, that's how we were doing it before the hub was released. We all just connected to one of the team.

B
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

I connect this way when ever I use JoinFS due to me running the Linux Hub, a Test node and the node I'm using for my sim.
My Linux hub is usually connected to MSFlights.nets Hub to show our aircraft on a map.
My Test hub is also connected to the MSFlights.net hub and shows on the map via my Linux hub along with the other hub users.
My 3rd Client then connects to the MSFlights Hub in order for me to practice my ATCO skills and I see the 2nd Test client on my radar along with the other MSFlights members.

No aircraft missing.

Where as if I connected my 3rd Client to the LAN IP of any of the other nodes running on my network I would see aircraft slowly disappearing where as everybody else would still see them.
No good when controlling and an aircraft disappears from radar.
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

I was about to give up on this but....
My setup is 2PC in a LAN 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.8 one router IP x.x.x.x PC .8 has a HUB AerO . (of course I dont see the hub in pc .2 )
Remote client can see my HUB and click Join , he joins , I open JoinFS in PC .2 set Join address to 10.0.0.8 and join , joins OK I see both AC and all is good, I did all the wind/weather (see other post) test with this setup...I see this cannot be done??? ..maybe a secret feature???

Jorge

PS Peter don't touch anything in case it breaks!!! JoinFS 1.1.13
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Hi Jorge,

Yes you can connect to your hub over LAN (10.0.0.8).
But what you may find is anybody connected from WAN (external) may start to disappear and not be shown to you.

The best method would be for an external person to connect to your hub.
Then you connect to the external persons IP and not your LAN ip.

You only need to do this on a 2PC or more setup.

If you run a hub on the same PC you use for your sim, there won't be any issues.
aeronauta

Post by aeronauta »

Ah!, thankyou Roo I see now , I was happy as the whole session my friend showed up OK... maybe with a larger group will be as you said.

Jorge
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

It works!! It works!!

Thanks to some valuable input from Dan "The MAN", the lattepanda, (Now known as Coffeecup) is working as a JFS server.

Sooooo look for flybywires 15 on the hub list.

the 15 denotes the stable version number, but YOU worked THAT out as soon as you saw it, didnt you?

We fly twice a week with organised flights.
All welcome, on Sundays and Wednesdays, 7pm EDT.

If you are free and bored, come and have a laugh.

What do we fly? Pretty much anything, for example, this coming Sunday, Biplanes, the older the better.
Where? KJFK and up the north river to Montreal.
Wednesday? probably jet airliners. so we are not locked into any particular genre of aircraft.

All welcome - see rules below.
Discussions on politics, religion and sex and swearing are "discouraged"
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi, Bob, I'll be there hopefully, in a 504K or Jenny perhaps.

EDIT: can't make it I'm afraid. If it was an hour or two earlier I'd be ok.

Peter
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Peter wrote: EDIT: can't make it I'm afraid. If it was an hour or two earlier I'd be ok.

Peter
To make it "An hour or two earlier" would be to deny me either breakfast or sleep.
We wouldn't want that now, would we?