Inconsistent inability to see other users.

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
karl

Inconsistent inability to see other users.

Post by karl »

We've seen some inconsistencies with other users being seen/not seen in the aircraft list box (list) and/or in the sim. In each instance when they are visable in the sim, they are visable in the list.

In our testing environment we are using one machine in my home that is running FSX boxed and a created JoinFS (v1.0.1) session (Machine 1). I am using a second machine (machine 2) to connect to machine 1 and everyone connecting to the IP is connecting to machine 1.

In FSX I saw a couple of issues that resolved with either disconnecting and reconnecting or shutting JoinFS down and restarting it.

In P3D however I am consistently seeing others on the list but not in the sim. The two links below show what I see via a map. In each case all of the aircraft are on the ground within feet of each other. My a/c is in the same spot when I ran both P3D and FSX.

[P3Dv3.4]
http://prntscr.com/csl4jt

[FSX]
http://prntscr.com/csl7cq

Thanks,
Karl
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Inconsistent inability to see other users.

Post by Peter »

Hi Karl,

one possibility is that you may not all be running the same version. If you try connecting 0.4.2 with 1.0.0 or later then you won't see the other aircraft. I'm trying to keep the versions as compatible as possible, but in this particular case they won't see each other. So I would suggest that if you are using the test version, make sure everyone has the same version before you start.

If you are running the same version, then you're P3D screenshot looks odd because there is no aircraft in the list for 'me' which is the user aircraft. So it may not have been connected to the simulator correctly at the time. I would keep a eye on that. If connected to the simulator you should see an aircraft at the top of the list with 'me' as the owner.

Peter
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

I've just found one bug that may be causing this. But I'm also able to repeat another related bug. Once I've sorted that one out, I'll get another version together.

Regards,
Peter
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Version 1.0.2-TEST is now up. Hopefully this will fix the issue.

Thanks,
Peter
karl

Post by karl »

Thanks for the quick work.

v1.0.2 did not resolve the issue. In P3D I can still see people in the list as I should but they don't appear in the sim. This time I don't even see the a/c on the machine that initiated the session who's IP I used.

It might be worth noting that I have to connect to that machine (machine 1) via an internal IP, 192.168.0.XXX
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Karl,

It must be something else then. Could you check that it's not model matching that is causing it. In the list you could try clicking the Edit button and changing the model to something else. Also could you cut and paste the text output that you get in the View|Monitor window. Make sure you click Refresh on the Monitor to update it.

Internal IP addresses are fine. I use them myself for testing.

Peter
karl

Post by karl »

I actually have two locations that I can use flight sims at.

Last night, at the second location I was able to use the same machine (machine 2) to connect to machine 1. I was able to see everyone except one pilot on both the list and the sim. Several users reported that they could not see me. I wasn't in a position to query all of them as to what sim they were using but I believe they were all using FSX Box with 1 using P3d (Travis).

I've scheduled a group flight for Saturday where I will take better notes. I know it will be late for you (01:00 Sun actually). If you run across any other groups testing let us know. We seem to have folks available that are around at different times of the day.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hey Karl, I was looking at that group flight and tried to get the discord channel set up but the link had expired.

Where are you going to set up the flight and what planes?

@Peter:

I was trying to set up with another guy this morning and we had been able to see each other before and his plane even subbed out properly for the 172, but this morning I couldn't see him. I was in 1.0.3 (the version before it was taken back down) and he was in 1.0.2 so that might explain that. He could see me though. When I looked at the aircraft list he was showing at 5000 nm away. When I went to follow him, I was over water and he was nowhere to be found. He then couldn't see me either where before he had been able to. That's probably because of the teleport to 5000 miles away. ;-)

I'm now in the latest version of 1.0.3.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Robert,

thanks for letting me know. Both of those versions ought to be compatible but there may be something I overlooked as the weather update is now in 1.0.3. I would suggest trying to use the same versions when you can.

Thanks,
Peter
stu7708

Post by stu7708 »

One issue I've seen that can cause this whilst on the ground is differences in scenery and elevation.

Example.

Machine 1 is running for example a full fledged ORBX region with corrected elevation for the airport where the two planes are located.

Machine 2 is running default FSX scenery for the same airport and the elevation is 50 feet lower than on machine 1.

Whilst on the ground the airplane flown on Machine 2 will randomly pop in and out of the airplane list on Machine 1, but once in the air the connection is stable and no drop outs will occur. (When this happened on a flight we were doing we were running the same version of JoinFS (1.0.2 or 1.0.3 if I remember correctly).