Request for help with development

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
bert.laverman

Request for help with development

Post by bert.laverman »

Hi,
as a combination of a hobby project and gaining experience in modern server development, I started working on my own multiplayer project. This one does use a server, but based on modern technology, REST API's, caching databases, etc. The server side is not as much the part I have trouble with, as that is quite close to what I do professionally, but the client is where my problems lie.

I have a client which interfaces with FSX/FSX-SE/P3D using SimConnect, but have never done anything with AI aircraft creation and controlling, nor detecting and reproducing effects. Would you be willing to help me by sharing snippets of code to show me how you did this? I am quite willing to share all code I have so far, though at the current state it is far from polished nor well documented.

Cheers,
Bert Laverman
Tisor

Re: Request for help with development

Post by Tisor »

bert.laverman wrote:Hi,
as a combination of a hobby project and gaining experience in modern server development, I started working on my own multiplayer project. This one does use a server, but based on modern technology, REST API's, caching databases, etc. The server side is not as much the part I have trouble with, as that is quite close to what I do professionally, but the client is where my problems lie.

I have a client which interfaces with FSX/FSX-SE/P3D using SimConnect, but have never done anything with AI aircraft creation and controlling, nor detecting and reproducing effects. Would you be willing to help me by sharing snippets of code to show me how you did this? I am quite willing to share all code I have so far, though at the current state it is far from polished nor well documented.

Cheers,
Bert Laverman
What does the REST API, databases and so on gives to the server on advance, compare to JoinFS? JoinFS is based on Peer-to-peer and is the only way to do a good MP server for FSX.

Anyway, asking for help here on a competitor is something I won't do... maybe check FSDeveloper for further help. Peter has enough with JoinFS for now... But maybe your knowledgements on REST API and so on could help expand JoinFS in the way of Live Maps and so on people is asking for...
bert.laverman

Post by bert.laverman »

The REST API will allow the server to be hosted and accessed without too much trouble wrt firewalls etc. Because it is basically the HTTP protocol, clients cann access it without routers and such complaining. The server only needs an HTTPS (for security) port exposed. Peer-to-peer requires that you start fiddling with UPnP to open up the local router, or force all clients to configure as servers. But then again, this is not to create the definitive best FS Multiplay server, this is to learn about modern server development.

I'm not sure what you mean with asking help from a competitor. I'm not in the FS multiplay business, I'm a hobbyist. :geek: This fear of 'competition' is what drove IVAO and VATSIM into draconian rules concerning NDA's and such surrounding their software. I was hoping to share knowledge and definitely will share whatever I collect.

Cheers,
Bert Laverman
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Bert,

thanks for posting. As Tisor mentions, there is a wealth of information on FSDeveloper, and I would make that one of your main sources of information, as well as Google, you can find pretty much anything you want very quickly these days.

Unfortunately most of my time is taken up with JoinFS so I'm unable to start helping out with other projects. Although I'm chuffed that you thought of asking here :)

Best regards,
Peter