IPv6 results in crash

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
karl

IPv6 results in crash

Post by karl »

I get unhandled exception error when trying to connect. In the "My IP" box I see a IPv6 address. I know the converted IPv4 address but can't put it in there. Regardless whenever I click the JOIN button to join a session the result is an unhandled exception dialog box. Any ideas?
Peter
Site Admin

Re: IPv6 results in crash

Post by Peter »

Hi,

The text that appears in 'My IP' is just for your information. JoinFS doesn't actually use it. If you just click on create and if you already know your IPv4 address then let others in the group know the IPv4 address.

When you click on the Join button, have you entered the IPv4 address of another person running a JoinFS network in the text box next to the Join button?

And are you able to see any details in the unhandled exception dialog box?

Thanks,
Peter
karl

Post by karl »

Thanks for responding back.

Yes. I didn't write it down but it led me to a port 6112 issue.

This machine runs the Box edition FSX server for our community on a 24/7 basis. Basically two items on the machine were trying to use data from port 6112. I shut the FSX server/host session down, altered the network settings from ports 6112-6122 to 6113-6122.

Doing that resolved the unhandled exception issue and connections were made using the IPv4 address. But sadly only two of four people were able to connect. All five of us were able to connect to two other machines that we tried it on.

Next time we will try to isolate a pattern to who can connect and who can not. I was told that there was some discussion somewhere about issues with running JOINFS while FSX is running as a host/server. I've not taken the time today to look for that discussion. If this proves to be a viable long term solution we'll simply not run this FSX session as a host/server any more.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Karl,

thanks for providing the information. It's very useful in getting JoinFS as stable and usable as possible.

It does try to check that incoming messages are always from other JoinFS nodes, but the unhandled exception means that there's a problem there if you get it when FSX multiplayer tries to join. I will look into this.

It's interesting because we had something very similar when we first tried JoinFS, someone connected with FSX multiplayer and things became unstable. I seem to remember that we all had to restart everything before it worked. Probably due to the above issue.

Someone else has asked about configuring ports, so I think that's what I'm going to do. And that should hopefully resolve the problem.

I'm also going to be making a few minor modification that enables JoinFS to run as a permanent hub node with password entry.

Thanks,
Peter