Whazzup.txt refresh rate?

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
denimchicken

Whazzup.txt refresh rate?

Post by denimchicken »

Peter (or anyone who can answer),

I was wondering what the refresh rate for the data in the whazzup.txt is, because I'm currently noticing what seems to be about 30-40 seconds between updates. From what I saw in other threads on the server, it should be updated approximately every second.

Any ideas?
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Whazzup.txt refresh rate?

Post by Peter »

Yes, the file is updated every second. However, the data compiled to make the file is updated less frequently and may take a minute or two to actually show in the file. The problem with make it completely up to day is that it would mean increasing the amount of network traffic for that data by about 20 times.

Do you need it to be more frequent than it currently is?

Peter
denimchicken

Post by denimchicken »

Hmm. I guess I'm a little bit confused.

The data from the network that is used to update aircraft position in the simulator (SimConnect, or X-Plane plugin) is not frequently updated to the whazzup.txt?

What I'm trying to do is similar in function to Roo's ESJFS, so the data I'm looking for I would need every couple of seconds. I thought I had something working in the past from the whazzup file, but perhaps I did not do enough testing back then as it wasn't the focal point of the software. Now when I check the whazzup, it appears the aircraft location data does not update every second.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the 'public aircraft' option, which includes all aircraft on all the hubs. Those are only updated every minute or so.

However, all the aircraft in your session should update every second in real time. I just checked here and it does appear to update all the positions every second in the whazzup.txt.

Have you checked to see if the file date stamp keeps changing?

Peter
denimchicken

Post by denimchicken »

Aha!

That must have been it. I had "include global users" checked, which must be what you are referencing, and what I saw as slowly updating reflected in the whazzup.

My app is working now.

Thanks, Peter.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Excellent. That's another one for the manual. :)

Peter