encoded adress not working

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
caleb

encoded adress not working

Post by caleb »

I am currently using join fs to have a multiplayer session across 2 pcs on the same LAN.
I clicked create on one of the pcs, but then when entering the address in the "me" box (the one in 12345 12345 format) in the join box on the other pc, it does not work and the network button is orange. It also doesn't work when I attempt to connect via internet ip and port number (x.x.x.x:xxxx format)
The only way I am able to connect these pcs on my local network is by entering the local IP adress of the original pc (192.168.1.xx format)

I am interested in finding out why this is. These pcs are on the same network, so could this be the issue why I cannot use any of the other methods?
I don't see why they shouldn't still work even though they are on the same network though...

Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks.
ATC Roo

Re: encoded adress not working

Post by ATC Roo »

Are they both using port 6112?
Have you opened any ports in your router?

Curious...
Are both encrypted ips the same or do they differ?
caleb

Post by caleb »

ATC Roo wrote:Are they both using port 6112?
Have you opened any ports in your router?

Curious...
Are both encrypted ips the same or do they differ?
Thabks first the responce.
The host pc (the one I am attempting to create the session from) is set up as port 5700 on router.
The other one doesnt have one set at the router.
And yes... the encrypted addresses in the "me" boxes are the same on both pcs... does this mean anything?

Thanks
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

That sounds like the encrypted ip is your external ip then.
So it would be the same on all clients on your network.

You would need to forward a port in your router to one of the machines running JoinFS.
The connecting client then knows which client you want to connect to.

The other machine should then connect to that machine using the encrypted IP:PORT.

You may run into a NAT LOOPBACK issue as you are going out of your network, only to come back in.

I'm not sure why you'd prefer to do that and connecting with local ip addresses would be better IMO.
caleb

Post by caleb »

I agree, the best option for the local network is to just use the ip of the pc.
I just wanted to ask about this so I can gain a better understanding of how this all works.
I do have port forwarding set up on the router for the host pc (i used 5700), but still, when I enter [internet ip]:5700 in the join box on the other pc, it doesnt work. I would imagine it should though?
It works fine using the local ips, but like I said, I'm interested in figuring out why I can't get it to work any other way.
Incase at some point I do want to do an online session to someone outside of my network.

Thanks.
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

This does sound very much like a NAT Loopback issue then.

https://subledge.wordpress.com/2014/09/ ... -loopback/

There maybe an option in your router to enable NAT Loopback.

Regardless of the NAT Loopback, if your port is forwarded correctly external users will still be able to connect with your encrypted ip.
It's only you on the same network which would need the internal ip.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

That's right, the encrypted address you see in the 'Me' box is always your external router IP address (just encrypted). So all instances on the same LAN will have the same address. Depending on your router and how it works, and if you have port forwarding set to one of your machines on 6112, then it may be able to connect using that Me address, but this isn't guaranteed. I would suggest always using the LAN local IP address in these situations. I have coded JoinFS to navigate routers correctly so that you still have a peer-to-peer connection even though some clients may be inside the LAN network and some are external. You should be able to successfully have a session with multiple clients inside and outside.

Peter