Mild instability

Report problems with JoinFS.
Deano1973

Mild instability

Post by Deano1973 »

Hi Peter,

Just reporting in with the results of testing over the last week or so. Because of the rapid updates we're sticking with one version for a week or two at a time, so this report regards v1.0.11. I know that this means we're behind the curve with possible fixes, but it takes a while to thoroughly test any bugs or flaws and make sure the problems are not the result of our own errors rather than bugs in JoinFS.

The only consistent problem we've identified is that quite often the network will list, for instance, 7 pilots. However, only 5 will be visible on the aircraft list. This occurs regardless of Models scanned or any other JoinFS function. The only way to bring an individual's aircraft list up to date and make fellow pilots visible is to shut down JoinFS and re-start it.

This then sometimes upsets another user's JoinFS, which doesn't see the new player's presence. It's a bit unpredictable and hard to judge where the flaw is. I did take a screenshot as an example but cannot post here unless it's attached to a website. As far as I can make out, JoinFS only settles when all pilots have shut down and re-started JoinFS.

I wonder if it might be worth having a "refresh" function added of some kind. I realise that JoinFS may already do this as part of its internal coding, but there does seem to be an inability to always detect all models present on the network at start up. If we figure out what's happening I'll let you know asap. Otherwise, everything works brilliantly! We had our first, full Virtual Reality crew flight in a two-seat Alphasim Typhoon yesterday, an amazing possibility for instructor and student training!

Cheers,
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Mild instability

Post by Peter »

Hi Dean,

I wouldn't worry too much about differences between the pilot count and the aircraft list. They are two different things and are not intended to match. The Pilot count on the main window is the number of people, including yourself, who are connected to the network. The aircraft list contains all aircraft that are being broadcast in the network. This includes other people's aircraft as well as any AI / recorded aircraft that they may be transmitting. If there is a problem with the simulator creating an aircraft for some reason then it may disappear from the aircraft list resulting in less aircraft displayed. If someone is acting as ATC and is controlling in the tower, they won't have any aircraft in the list but will appear in the Pilot count.

I think you may still be right, as there have occasionally been people who can't be seen (and not due to model matching), and is usually solved by simply restarting JoinFS and rejoining. Only takes a couple of seconds. I'll certainly keep an eye on it. If there is a bug there I shall look into it once development has slowed down a bit. From the sound of it, it's most likely to be a routing bug, which makes it quite difficult to track down.

If you see this again and after consulting with the other pilots to confirm that someone is definitely missing from the aircraft list, get everyone to check the Monitor View to see if there are any messages that can shed some light on it.

Thanks,
Peter
Tisor

Re: Mild instability

Post by Tisor »

Just to remember, this happened to us when the default aircraft in P3D was the Subsmersible (fixed on further versions).

Maybe they should check if this happens in the new versions as for us looks fixed. The other day we tested 7 pilots without any problems on VATSIM + JoinFS (No problem appart duplicated MTL models as I told you Peter)