Incompatibily between FSX:SE and P3D v3.2

Report problems with JoinFS.
Tisor

Incompatibily between FSX:SE and P3D v3.2

Post by Tisor »

I've been testing with Diego (marte21) and we are having trouble.

While trying to connect FSX:SE (me) to P3D v3.2 (him), Diego couldn't see me when I was joining. I was appearing and dissapearing from the list.

Both me as server and him as server.

No errors recorded on the monitor.
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Incompatibily between FSX:SE and P3D v3.2

Post by Peter »

Assuming that you have both done the Scan For Models, could you make sure you are both starting in the simulator at the same location. If there are differences between scenery then this may cause issues (it has happened before), so your best bet is to ignore what's happening and both get into the air and then you should be able to see each other. If not, try using the Change Model at the bottom of the aircraft list and choose a model that you know is working in your sim.

If you still have problems, try running JoinFS and connecting only after you are both in the air. Just trying to narrow down the problem so you can at least see each other.

Peter
Tisor

Post by Tisor »

Peter wrote:Assuming that you have both done the Scan For Models, could you make sure you are both starting in the simulator at the same location. If there are differences between scenery then this may cause issues (it has happened before), so your best bet is to ignore what's happening and both get into the air and then you should be able to see each other. If not, try using the Change Model at the bottom of the aircraft list and choose a model that you know is working in your sim.

If you still have problems, try running JoinFS and connecting only after you are both in the air. Just trying to narrow down the problem so you can at least see each other.

Peter
We finally did it.

The problem looked to be that Diego has in P3D selected as the Unknown model the Submersible model, and this should behaviour in a strange way. Everytime I joined, I was like... kicked? But I could see him.

Then he changed the unknown model to a normal aircraft: everything works like a charm.

I don't know if that made the difference or was something else. In P3D v3.2 both we see us ok. Then he changed the unk model, I started FSX with Tacpack and VRS Superbug and everything was 5/5.

Will continue testing in next days the combined connections with different clients to see what's going on.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

This is pretty funny actually, I was flying last night with four others and the chap using P3D said that an aircraft was missing, so he checked the matched model and said 'Ah, it's a submarine!'.

Fortunately I'm pretty sure I now know what has happened. The model matching works by applying a few logical checks. Now, because I designed this from the point of view of FSX, if it can't find a particular model then it defaults to the Microsoft Cessna 172SP Paint1. It must be the case that this model isn't present on the default P3D installation, because the final option that JoinFS uses is to pick the very first model in the scan list. I'm willing to bet that for you this is the submarine model. I think I'll have to change this final check so that it tries to search for a 172 model rather than just picking the first model in the list.

Thanks for reporting your findings.

By the way, if you choose the Edit Model Matching from the File menu, you can set the "Unknown" model, which is used if JoinFS can't find an aircraft.

Peter
Tisor

Post by Tisor »

Peter wrote:This is pretty funny actually, I was flying last night with four others and the chap using P3D said that an aircraft was missing, so he checked the matched model and said 'Ah, it's a submarine!'.
The submarine model make the user appear and dessapear from the aircraft list.
Peter wrote: Fortunately I'm pretty sure I now know what has happened. The model matching works by applying a few logical checks. Now, because I designed this from the point of view of FSX, if it can't find a particular model then it defaults to the Microsoft Cessna 172SP Paint1. It must be the case that this model isn't present on the default P3D installation, because the final option that JoinFS uses is to pick the very first model in the scan list. I'm willing to bet that for you this is the submarine model. I think I'll have to change this final check so that it tries to search for a 172 model rather than just picking the first model in the list.

Thanks for reporting your findings.
Correct, the submarine is the first one. The best logic is to ask on the first launch (after the Search for model option) to select a default aircraft to the user. Like a pop up. Won't take more than 10 seconds for the user and will fix this error.
Peter wrote: By the way, if you choose the Edit Model Matching from the File menu, you can set the "Unknown" model, which is used if JoinFS can't find an aircraft.
Peter
Yeah, that's the way we have use to fix the problem.

Will keep reporting. This software deserve all of our help. As experience on Simconnect programming and computer engineer will always try to give you the best reports to make this fast.

Regards!
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Tisor wrote: Will keep reporting. This software deserve all of our help. As experience on Simconnect programming and computer engineer will always try to give you the best reports to make this fast.
Good. Keep 'em coming. ;)

Peter