JoinFS closes unexpectedly in LAN only scenarios

Report problems with JoinFS.
uri_ba

JoinFS closes unexpectedly in LAN only scenarios

Post by uri_ba »

Hi Peter,
I've been having issues with JoinFS closing (seems rather clean for CTD) on my as soon as I join a LAN network.

I.e.
while hosting a "LAN party" type scenario, multiple clients in a single flat network without Internet access (or a very limited one),
server is up. As soon as a client logs in, it seems fine and stable. however after a second client logs in, within a minute, both client instances close.

usually with an error of "duplicate network ID" showing up on both logs.

I've went so far as faking the IP check to return internal IP for the own node ID do be different.
using nginx and hosts file I'm intercepting "ipv4.icanhazip.com" and returning the ip address in my network 10.X.X.X.

I've tried different ports on different clients, but results are the same, both on 4.19 and on 4.20

any suggestions?
Peter
Site Admin

Re: JoinFS closes unexpectedly in LAN only scenarios

Post by Peter »

Hi,

This is because JoinFS was initially designed to work only on devices with an internet connection. It was basically a security measure and not because of any special technical reason. I don't mind changing that policy. I'll have it sorted out in the next version 1.4.25.

Peter
TexxasAl

Post by TexxasAl »

Peter wrote:Hi,

This is because JoinFS was initially designed to work only on devices with an internet connection. It was basically a security measure and not because of any special technical reason. I don't mind changing that policy. I'll have it sorted out in the next version 1.4.25.

Peter
Especially since the Recorder functionality has been added and enhanced, I would vote for the ability to allow it to continue to run, even when not connected to an "external" network.

With the integration of SIMComX at the "click-of-a-button", JoinFS has become a product that is integral and somewhat essential to the operation of nearly any Flight Simulator.

Thanks for persevering and continuing with the development of this fine product.

regards
Al :mrgreen:
uri_ba

Post by uri_ba »

Peter wrote:Hi,

Peter
Thanks for the willingness to make changes. Much appreciated! :)

I've been able to sniff around my network and find the addresses JoinFS needs for its "keep alive" functions. and I've allowed them throgh. However, a pure LAN option is very useful in some scenarios.
uri_ba

Post by uri_ba »

Works like a charm!
Many thanks for the quick response!