Not really a bug? A2A Texan

Report problems with JoinFS.
vfrsim

Not really a bug? A2A Texan

Post by vfrsim »

Just thought I'd note. At the moment, loading the A2A Texan in, is crashing JoinFS, as well as the simulator. Some type of conflict, maybe with simconnect?

I'm not overly concerned. I know that A2A's more complex add-ons are plagued with these types of problems. But just thought I'd mention it in case there was anything that could be done.

- Joseph
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Not really a bug? A2A Texan

Post by Peter »

Hi Joseph,

I have the Texan so I should be able to repeat the problem. I will take a look today.

Thanks,
Peter
Robert

Post by Robert »

I was trying some A2A Texan recording at Reno just now and noticed the same thing. What happens for me is I'm fine until I go to change planes and select the Texan. It seems to crash when selecting the Texan when JoinFS is running.

A way around it is to select your Texan and then open JoinFS. Then you are in and good and can even select aircraft into other planes. But the Texan for some reason, when you select it, does seem to crash FSX:SE.

One other thing I noticed, Peter, is that when flying with other Texans around the race course, everything looks great when at low bank, but go to high bank around a pylon and the planes jump up and down in altitude a bit - enough to cause a playback plane to put a wing in the ground and crash when it had sufficient altitude when originally flown.

Tried attaching the .jfs file but the zip was rejected for being too big. A single plane zipped file was 739 kB. What is the size limit? Will see about posting somehow else and will add a link...
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Robert,

will look into the Texan bug. Perhaps I'm setting a variable or something that is out of range for the Texan.

The jumping around is probably because the orientation is getting reset when the sim plane and the network plane diverge too much. It's something that I'm working on.

If you could email that jfs to me at [url]mailto://admin@pmem.uk[/url], that should do it.

Thanks,
Peter
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hey Peter, it's sent!

I sent you the two ship version since even it is 1.4 MB. The three ship is 2.1 and thought that might be pushing it. Also sent it to your other e-mail since we have that spam problem for some reason.

Flying isn't the best, but racing visuals are way cool!

Cheers!
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Robert,

I got the recording, thanks. And I can see exactly what you mean about the vertical movement. I'll be able to use this recording to help correct the problem, since all the frames in the recording are original absolute positions, it's just the play back algorithm (also used during live network) that needs some work.

Peter
Robert

Post by Robert »

I'm glad it helps, Peter! I was hoping it only was on recording playback but makes sense it would also manifest on multiplayer. Things seem fine when straight and level or at low bank which may be why it hasn't been noticed until now.

The FASA guys are looking at JoinFS and this would definitely affect them.

Great visuals for racing, though! When watching at a distance you don't see the jumps but it looks like a real air race.

Thanks, Peter!
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Robert,

It turns out that those vertical movements were due to the network optimisations from the previous version. I've fixed this now for version 1.0.11. And there is now an Analyser View in this version so that you can instantly scroll to any point in the recording.

Best regards,
Peter
Robert

Post by Robert »

Well, this is interesting! I just sent you an e-mail. Was flying with one of the FASA guys tonight and we had no vertical movements at all. It was beautiful and smooth as silk. It was the first time I had tried high banks and hard pulls with a human pilot and I went into it expecting to see them but none to be found. It was beautiful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IC6u73engg (Uploading now with about 3-4 hours left to go but I need to get to bed...)

I think we were both on 10 TEST but maybe he was on 11? I know I was on 10 though.

Peter, this is some amazing software you have built. Kudos!

Robert
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Yes, the odd movement only affected viewed aircraft that were far from your own, so you'd only see it during a recording or looking at someone else on the network. Anyway, it's fixed in 1.0.11 (out any moment now)

Best regards,
Peter