Duplicates planes !!

Report problems with JoinFS.
vedum

Duplicates planes !!

Post by vedum »

Hi Peter,

During our last flight, an aircraft duplication problem occurred when a driver has a change of aircraft.
Viewing below what we had:

We use version 1.0.3 of JoinFS.

Maybe you've already fixed the bug?

Best regards,
Stéphane
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Duplicates planes !!

Post by Peter »

Hi Stéphane,

There's a possibility that it has been fixed, so basically keep an eye out for it in later versions and see if it still happens. It's a bit strange that they are all 'Sim' aircraft. It could be related to the routing bug but I'm not sure.

Thanks,
Peter
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hey Peter, we did a group flight yesterday and at least one of the guys was reporting multiple planes in his list as well. This was with 1.0.17 Test. I don't have any other information except my airplane list was fine. We did mention turning off AI traffic and such but I don't know that that helped. I'm pretty sure he said they were duplicates of player aircraft.

Just something to be on the lookout for. Maybe they will see this and fill in the rest of the details. Overall JoinFS worked like a champ for me. Some small glitches at times but we had 12 or so people on and some may have had poor connections (but I don't know that).

As an aside, it was mentioned that it would be nice to be able to bookmark active connections instead of having to remember to bookmark after the fact (even though it does remember the last connection).
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Robert,

thanks for the feedback. I'll keep an eye on the duplicate aircraft and do some tests.

I'll be adding some extra statistics on connection status to the pilot list to see if that can help identify problems.

Good idea about the bookmarks. I'll try automatically bookmarking successful connections and then any unwanted entries can simply be removed later from the bookmark list.

Best regards,
Peter
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hey Peter, just my opinion, but I'd rather it be a manual "Bookmark current connection" kind of thing rather than automatic. We were trying connecting to others in the group fly just to test their port forwarding and such and that could clutter up a list if people end up connecting to extra connections that they may not visit again.

But people really liked the performance and are talking about switching over to JoinFS since you can fly up close in formation with few issues.

But I do think more info on connection quality might be a good thing. I've had beautiful connections but it seems like in group flights, there are good odds that there will be someone with a poor connection or dropped packets that causes problems for others. Sometimes it can even be someone at a household streaming a movie or something - I think you mentioned this when we were running at Reno. I also wonder if connection issues might be a reason for duplicate aircraft due to retransmits? I haven't checked how you do things with UDP or TCP but maybe?
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

I see what you mean now about the bookmarks.

I've had network problems at home where one person is playing a game while another is streaming TV. This can affect the game quality quite badly and is something to be wary of. Most latency sensitive games will suffer from this as well unfortunately. JoinFS uses UDP connections, by the way.

Peter