1.0.6 Timing Bug(?) & Possible Workaround

Report problems with JoinFS.
Robert

1.0.6 Timing Bug(?) & Possible Workaround

Post by Robert »

Hey Peter, I was trying to record a multiship flight and found a timing bug. Easy to reproduce too.

Basically what is happening is all overdubs are having their origins at t=0 even if you started the overdub late in the playback of a previous recording.

The result is that if you are trying to fly close formation, if you open a previous recording and then hit overdub, that delay goes away and while everything looks fine in the flight you are overdubbing, when you overdub to add another ship to the formation, the previous one is ahead of where they should be by whatever the delay was before you could start the overdub.

I think there may be a workaround but need to test it to see. If I open the previous recording and stop it, it's in memory. If I then hit overdub, it seems to also start playing back the recording at the same time which would preserve time relationships as they are seen when overdubbing.

But if you click overdub on a playing recording, it seems the new flight gets a t=0 origin even if it was started later in the flight that is playing back. Don't know how others feel, but I was expecting the behavior to be where new flights start times were whatever the elapsed time was when the overdub button was pressed for a true WYSIWYG experience. But if the workaround works - getting ready to test - that is fine.

I think this is changed behavior though. I've always started playback and then hit overdub and everything still lined up as I saw when I was flying. I think. I wasn't flying as close as I was and may have been faster at hitting overdub.

Will report back.
Peter
Site Admin

Re: 1.0.6 Timing Bug(?) & Possible Workaround

Post by Peter »

Hi Robert,

I'm fairly sure this is a new bug caused by a change I made in 1.0.5. Sorry about that, I'll get this fixed in 1.0.7.

Best regards,
Peter
Robert

Re: 1.0.6 Timing Bug(?) & Possible Workaround

Post by Robert »

Hey Peter - just FYI, my workaround does indeed work and works perfectly.

If you want to overdub, just open the saved file. That will also start playback. Stop playback and get your plane ready, move where you want it, etc. Then when you are ready, click overdub. That also starts playback again back at the beginning. Everything is aligned to t=0 but there are no delays due to the time it takes to go from open to overdub that can accumulate either.

Maybe the solution would be to not start playback when you open a saved file but instead have people select either play if they want to just watch, or overdub if they want to add to? I think it's all just preference on how you want to do it.

But I just finished building out a flight of four Davis Aircraft with a photo flight accompaniment and everything was perfectly aligned.

So the workaround works fine for anyone who is doing this record stuff and flying close enough that the minor delay puts planes in the wrong positions.

Really having fun with this software, Peter! After recording and doing my own filming, I put my wife in a pilot view position on the photo plane using AITrackerX and let her experience the flight. I was flying along with but going above and below, right and left of the flight of four so she was able to watch it all as if she was flying but didn't need to know how to fly. She just looked around. Way too cool what all you can do!

Regards,
Robert