v1.0.5 - TEST

Report problems with JoinFS.
Dan-TXHills

v1.0.5 - TEST

Post by Dan-TXHills »

I put this in another section of the forum - seems more appropriate to be here.

Re: v1.0.5 - TEST

Peter:

Did you change something related to allowable connections? In previous versions of JoinFS I was able to run a session from one computer and connect to my own session (same IP address) from a second computer and fly with no problem. Now when I try that I could not see the other aircraft (although he could see me).

All seemed to work correctly when I joined the session hosted by the other pilot (same computer running FSX and JoinFS).

Dan
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Dan,

I did change some low level network code in 1.0.5. Could you explain the scenarios in more detail, please, I can't quite work out exactly what you mean? :)

Peter
Dan-TXHills

Post by Dan-TXHills »

I have a second computer that served as the session host. JoinFS ran on this computer and this JoinFS was used to 'Create' the session. FSX was not running on this computer at that time - only JoinFS was running on the host computer although FSX is installed on that computer.

On a second computer (my "flying computer") I would run JoinFS and join the session created by the first computer - like you would join any other session except i entered the same IP address in the 'Join' section as used in the 'Create' section on the first machine. I did this with past versions (up to v1.0.4) and was able to see all aircraft and they could see me. All worked properly with the host running only JoinFS and creating the session and me joining the session from a second computer.

With v1.0.5 I did the same thing once I had the updated version installed in each computer. Hosted the session on the same computer as before and joined the session on my "flying computer". This time I could be seen but could not see the other pilot. Also, his aircraft did not appeared in the View | Aircraft list although mine appeared in his. We tried re-joining, re-creating the session - no joy. So, the other pilot created a session on his computer which had (both JoinFS and FSX running on the same machine and I joined. At this point all worked properly - he could see me, I could see him and his aircraft appeared in the View | Aircraft list.

Dan
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Can I just confirm that you are joining the server address, and that you have someone else joining. Which IP address is the second person using, is it the server address or your address?

This should work as before, so I've obviously broken something.

I know this might be a pain, but could you try uninstalling JoinFS and installing 1.0.4 on each machine from here, http://pmem.uk/joinfs/JoinFS-TEST-1.0.4.msi

If you let me know if 1.0.4 works or not than that will help to home in on the bug.

Could you also look at the window 'View|Network' on each machine, and let me know if there are any differences between a working and non-working version.

Thanks,
Peter
Dan-TXHills

Post by Dan-TXHills »

Thanks. Will do (as soon as I can find someone that is also on and can join my network). Will others be able to join me if they are using v1.0.5 or v1.0.6?

The server address and the address I join and others join are all the same - the IP address that shows in the 'My IP' box - so when I join I enter this same IP in JoinFS on my second computer since I am on the same LAN and therefore have the same IP as the server. Others also join the session using this same IP.

I will add that there is another connection utility out there (much more cumbersome to install and use) that requires you to establish new inbound and outbound rules via the Windows Firewall (not just click the 'allow connection' notification that appears when you start the program the first time) if you are flying on a computer that is on the same LAN (using the same IP address) as the server computer. I was very happy that yours did not require this but that might now be the issue if changes you made would have done something with respect to access and firewall setup. Since there are some us that use of a second machine as a 'continuous host' so that others have a known session they can join but do not use that machine as their 'flying computer' (my host computer is a relatively low-performance one that does not do well running FSX) it would be a great advantage if we did not have to make changes to the firewall or other setting changes beyond forwarding port 6112.

Dan
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Dan,

no, the firewall situation has not changed, you simply allow it when prompted.

I have just tried your exact scenario at home with 1.0.6 and everything worked okay. I ran JoinFS on an old XP laptop without FSX. Then connected to it from two other PCs both with FSX:Steam. I could see both aircraft on both machines.

FYI, 1.0.6 is completely compatible with 1.0.5.

Make sure your friend is definitely on 1.0.5/6. The View|Network window should show two entries on all three machines. You can cross reference the IP addresses from there.

Peter
Dan-TXHills

Post by Dan-TXHills »

This is all very odd - I ran JoinFS as the server (not running FSX) on one computer then joined the session using two other computers running FSX. I could see there were 3 pilots on (the server counting as one) but could not see the other aircraft from either computer.

I then joined an outside session from each of the computers running FSX (same session for each). I could see the other aircraft and my aircraft that was connected to that particular computer BUT could not see the aircraft of the other computer. Disconnected, reconnected - still did not see the aircraft on the other computer.

NB: running v1.0.6 on all computers

Dan
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Did you get a chance to try 1.0.4? That would help in tracking down the problem.

Peter
Dan-TXHills

Post by Dan-TXHills »

Re: v1.0.4 - Not yet - that one is next.

Dan
karl

Post by karl »

Dan come by tonight at 20:00 CDT. We're doing some more testing. We're using Discord for voice. Our Discord link is on our web page at www.msflights.net.
Dan-TXHills

Post by Dan-TXHills »

Karl - Sorry I missed your post. Let me know if you are doing more testing.

Peter - having a bit of an issue installing v1.0.4 - does not like the fact that I have v1.0.6 installed. Revo uninstaller may be the answer.

Dan
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Not sure if it will help Dan but...

I noticed you said that you were inputting your external IP to connect.

As the Server is on your lan have you tried connecting with its local IP?

I too connect to a server on my LAN and both external and internal addresses will connect to it.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Dan-TXHills wrote: Peter - having a bit of an issue installing v1.0.4 - does not like the fact that I have v1.0.6 installed. Revo uninstaller may be the answer.
You should be able to go to Control Panel and uninstall JoinFS completely from there. Then install 1.0.4.
ATC Roo wrote: I noticed you said that you were inputting your external IP to connect.

That's a really good point. The 'My IP' always shows your external address. If you are connecting to another machine behind the same router then you need to specify its internal IP, e.g. 192.168.0.4
karl

Post by karl »

I have AT&T and must use an internal IP to connect. Until a recent move we had Google Fiber as an ISP. With Google I could use either to connect to things like this.
Dan-TXHills

Post by Dan-TXHills »

Peter:

During a group flight with all using v1.0.6 the person running the server (and flying on that same computer) could see all aircraft.

I could not see any aircraft other than the one flown by the pilot using the server. I do know that at least one other pilot could only see the server pilot, not me - nor could I see that pilot's aircraft (it did not appear on the list - only the server pilot's aircraft appeared). I believe this was the case for all (there were four on at the time - one was not at the same airport).

We then switched to v1.0.3 (v1.0.4 would not load - said that a newer version was available; v1.0.3 loaded so we used that one). Clicked 'Join' and all pilots could see each other and all aircraft appeared on the list including the one at the other airport.

Dan
Dan-TXHills

Post by Dan-TXHills »

ATC Roo wrote:Not sure if it will help Dan but...

I noticed you said that you were inputting your external IP to connect.

I too connect to a server on my LAN and both external and internal addresses will connect to it.
Thanks - I will try this but -
1. I did not need to do that before so it is not clear why that would have changed
2. There seems to be an issue affecting more than just me - see my earlier post.

Dan
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Dan-TXHills wrote:
1. I did not need to do that before so it is not clear why that would have changed
2. There seems to be an issue affecting more than just me - see my earlier post.

Dan
I connect to a FSJOIN server on a lan from a different machine Dan, so can confirm it works that way ruling out a program issue.

1. Peter has said he has optimised the network code, so that is probably why things changed.
You may have been using a way to access the network that wasn't intended.
This may have been corrected when Peter optimised things.

2. I would put money on router/internal firewall settings as I can confirm the program is ok, as it works on my network.

It's a case of eliminating things it may be 1 by 1.
I've just eliminated the program so the next thing it could be is router/ firewall settings.

Make sure the port is forwarded correctly and that the program is allowed through all internal firewalls.

Hope that helps.
Dan-TXHills

Post by Dan-TXHills »

ATC Roo wrote:
Dan-TXHills wrote:

Dan
I connect to a FSJOIN server on a lan from a different machine Dan, so can confirm it works that way ruling out a program issue.

1. Peter has said he has optimised the network code, so that is probably why things changed.
You may have been using a way to access the network that wasn't intended.
This may have been corrected when Peter optimised things.

2. I would put money on router/internal firewall settings as I can confirm the program is ok, as it works on my network.

It's a case of eliminating things it may be 1 by 1.
I've just eliminated the program so the next thing it could be is router/ firewall settings.

Make sure the port is forwarded correctly and that the program is allowed through all internal firewalls.

Hope that helps.

I will try this - but again, all was working before (and as above, this now appears to be an issue for others).

Our understanding is that only the Server machine needs to have the port forwarded (and in the case of the four of us not seeing each other a 'custom' port was used and we entered that into the IP address bookmark section) yet we could only see each other when we used v1.0.3. From a previous discussion with Peter there is no need to make additional firewall rules as is the case if you are connecting as a pilot on the same IP address running a DafSim server - just click the 'Allow' when the dialogue box pop up.

So, something has changed and maybe that change only affects a limited number of people for some reason - but I think the important message is that I believe that the 'death' of other connection utilities was due to a great extent that some folks had to struggle to get this to work on their machines. This was not a problem for anyone as of v1.0.4 so it seems that a simple solution would be to make v1.0.7 the same as v1.0.4 with respect to the connection routines themselves and add the other features to that.

Dan
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Dan,

Thanks for persisting with this.

You mentioned that 1.0.4 would not load. It will work. When it says that a new version is available, would you like to download it, just click 'No' and then you can continue to use 1.0.4.

It would be useful to know the results of 1.0.4.

Thanks,
Peter
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi guys,

I've just been reviewing the code changes that I made in 1.0.5 and I think I've found a really good candidate for the cause of these problems. I'll get a fix in 1.0.7 tomorrow.

Peter