ARGGHHYH!!! You have killed me!!

Report problems with JoinFS.
Grumpy

ARGGHHYH!!! You have killed me!!

Post by Grumpy »

First use of ver 16
I am trying to log on to flybywires.hopto.org
I get THIS below

"Invalid join address. Eiter select a bookmark or use an IP address in the format of..."

I cant join, others in the team can see it and join.

B
ATC Roo

Re: ARGGHHYH!!! You have killed me!!

Post by ATC Roo »

Can you connect to a users IP that is already connected to your Hub Grumpy?
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Yep, I join MY hub via Scott.

I cannot enter a text address in the IP field which I COULD with Ver 15.

Apart from that, I cannot see much change from 15.

'The REFRESH button is useful.

B
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

I don't think this is anything to do with the JoinFS update. It looks like the DNS lookup is failing on your PC.

I just tried 'flybywires.hopto.org', clicked join and it worked fine.

Try opening a Windows command prompt and type 'nslookup flybywires.hopto.org'. See if you get the correct IP address.

Peter
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

No, Peter, on my CLIENT JFS, on the flight computer, it wont let me enter flybywires.hopto.org, it insists that I use a numerical format.
I am using the hopto facility on the coffeecup
I just log on via another members JFS

One of my main gripes is with Telecom, I have an atrocious line, crackles and spits etc, everything except sparks, so much noise, at the moment, it keeps dropping my net connection, when I get it back, my IP has changed. Hence the use of the coffeecup and the hopto facility.

Love the refresh buttons.
The increased radius of visibility.

what other clever thing have you done?
B
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Sounds as though it may be your connection, but it's strange that it was working with the previous version. Nothing has changed in the latest version that might cause that.

It may be related to the fact that being able to mix internal and external connections isn't fully supported yet, but the work around for that is to connect to someone else in the session as you are now doing.

As for other things in this version, I usually list everything in the change log on the install page for your convenience. http://pmem.uk/joinfs/install.html

Yes, the refresh buttons should improve the network stability as well because I think the auto-refresh on the previous versions was having an impact on performance and timing.

Peter
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Grumpy wrote:No, Peter, on my CLIENT JFS, on the flight computer, it wont let me enter flybywires.hopto.org, it insists that I use a numerical format.
I am using the hopto facility on the coffeecup
I just log on via another members JFS
What does roo.servebeer.com do?
Grumpy wrote: One of my main gripes is with Telecom, I have an atrocious line, crackles and spits etc, everything except sparks, so much noise, at the moment, it keeps dropping my net connection, when I get it back, my IP has changed. Hence the use of the coffeecup and the hopto facility.
Are you in the UK?
I worked as a Telecoms engineer for a short time and may be able to provide you with some tricks to help your line out.
Dan-TXHills

Post by Dan-TXHills »

Bob -

I just tried connecting - can do it by entering flybywires.hopto.org directly into the 'Join' box and by selecting FlyByWires 16 in the Hub list.

Dan
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Are you in the UK?
I worked as a Telecoms engineer for a short time and may be able to provide you with some tricks to help your line out.
No, Roo, New Zealand is home. Thats why we rarely are online at the same time.

However, a telephone line is the same pretty much anywhere.

I suspect ants and formic acid in a junction box.

B.

Dan, everybody else can use a text entry, but for some odd reason, I cant from my client. The question is very quickly going to be a moot one, however.
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Grumpy wrote:
Are you in the UK?
No, Roo, New Zealand is home. Thats why we rarely are online at the same time.

However, a telephone line is the same pretty much anywhere.

I suspect ants and formic acid in a junction box.
Well it's off topic but it may help you or anybody else reading this....

1. Disconnect any telephone extensions that are not needed.
They can act as an antenna introducing noise to a line.
Use one phone socket if possible (the master socket).
2. In the UK, in the past a bell wire was needed to activate the ringer on an older phone. (Pin 3 in the UK).
As newer phones now don't need this, disconnect it as it too can act as an antenna.
3. Try using Ethernet cable between the router and the phone socket.
Broadband floats over the copper and as the copper in ethernet cables is thicker it can flow easier.
I used to use CAT5e but I've noticed CAT7 is available now.
4. Never turn off your router.
In the UK we have something called Dynamic Line Management (DLM) with detects noise or faults on the line and slows the broadband down until the noise/fault goes away.
If you turn your router off regulary (every night before bed) the DLM can't see your router and starts to slow the internet in an attempt to get a strong signal again.
It also works the other way speeding you up when it sees a nice clean line.
5. Use a phone faceplate with a built in microfilter.
6. Always use ethernet over wifi when you can.
Wifi already uses an antenna and can pick up extra noise before it gets to your PC.

It's all changed since I was on the tools with fiber optic broadband in the mix now.
But I used to see great results when I did the above to a customers setup when they were very far from the telephone exchange and had broadband issues.
And of course if the cause of the noise is outside of your property then there isn't much you can do, but your provider should at least investigate it as you pay them to do that.

[End off topic post]
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

In my case, Roo its VDSL2
ONE filter on the incoming line at the master junction.
Office is hard-wired via Ethernet.
Router is on full-time except for power cuts
certain devices are wifi. 2 phones, 2 tablets, 2 laptops..
your comments re three wire line haven't been valid here for 40 years.
I am about 1500 meters from the roadside box (read "Exchange") which makes VDSL2 possible (5 up and 30 down)
Fibre IS coming. it MIGHT get here before my funeral.
we are wiring up pretty much the whole country, some 95% of us will have 100 x 100 as a minimum before 2020 with the balance on a hybrid of phone and satellite

I HAVE been the route of disconnecting EVERYTHING except the router. no change.
I am back to suspecting ants. Why? I have had this before in another town. formic acid, even in minute quantities plays havoc with telecoms.

OHHH I also have to deal with Arabs, Iranians and Filipinos and Taiwanese doing line maintenance

B
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

O well it was worth a shot Grumpy.
;)
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

ATC Roo wrote:O well it was worth a shot Grumpy.
;)
Certainly was, Roo.
We are going to set JFS on a cloud server, maintained etc via a Remote Desktop Connection.
The releases the Coffeecup as a flash Kodi device. Or a play toy. Or something. surely wont sit idle for long.

Thanks for the thoughts and help.

B