Stuttering

Report problems with JoinFS.
BBQSteve

Stuttering

Post by BBQSteve »

Has anyone else noticed that with the latest release aircraft begin to stutte badly as they get closer in the air? Didn't have this problem in earlier release.
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Stuttering

Post by Peter »

Hi Steve,

which version did you start seeing it, 1.1.10 Stable or 1.1.13 Test?

Can I also check that you still have frame rate limited to 35 or less?

Peter
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

In fact, this could be a very useful indication. Could you describe the stuttering, was it fast or fairly slow movement forwards and backwards?

Peter
BBQSteve

Post by BBQSteve »

Sorry took so long getting back to you. I should have given this information before. It is Version 1.1.10, the stuttering is fast back and forth. My frame rate is set to unlimited in P3D as it has always been for me. I am running W10-64 Nvidia 980Ti, 16 GB memory i7-6700k 4Ghz.
gasman222

Post by gasman222 »

Peter, I have been flying with BBQ Steve on our virtual airline. I have been using Join FS to take videos of our flights and sharing them with our VA. Everyone has been impressed with how smooth the video records and plays. Like Steve mentioned above, we have noticed that with the new version 10.1, when the planes get closer, there is some stuttering which was not evident in prior versions. When I say close, that is 0.2-0.4 miles. I have a video of one of our recent flights, you can access it on One Drive at the link below. I want to say how much we enjoy your app and use it as often as possible. It really opens up the fun factor of flight sim. Thanks for your efforts!
Sincerely,
Scott Sinclair

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvVRZm47Mwz9iQqcL6U2G9B_KKk7
Brucee

Post by Brucee »

A note at DigitalThemePark sates that " Frame rates higher than 30 FPS may produce an oscillation effect that is apparent at close visual distances"
As Peter said earlier Frames should be set <35fps
You will not derive any benefit from having higher FPS
Worth checking out
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Thanks, Scott, it's always great to hear how useful people are finding JoinFS.

There's actually some good news on this stuttering issue. I was flying this evening with a fellow pilot and, as a test, they installed my latest pre-release test version, where I reverted some changes to do with how often it hits SimConnect with updates, and they confirmed that it was a big improvement over recent versions and was very much back to how it was before I started experimenting with it. They also made the suggestion of having some temporary values in the settings which can be tweaked, so that perhaps some sort of ideal value can be found. Which is a great idea.

Peter
RCFlyer

Post by RCFlyer »

Any idea when you will release the next Test version?

Danny
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

RCFlyer wrote:Any idea when you will release the next Test version?
It should be in the next few days.

Peter
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Steve,

I just re-read your post and you definitely need to limit your framerate to 35 as this is a requirement of JoinFS due to an apparent limitation with SimConnect.

Thanks,
Peter
BBQSteve

Post by BBQSteve »

Will do if the reversion expected doesn't fix the problem. As I said, there wasn't a problem before, or at least I didn't notice one. Thanks for the suggestion, will try.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Oh, well that's interesting then. Let me know how you get on. I wonder if the high frame rate stutter is not as much of an issue in P3D?

Peter