Connecting problem on W10

Report problems with JoinFS.
PH-LCS

Connecting problem on W10

Post by PH-LCS »

Hi,

I have a desktop on W8.1, P3D3.4 and JoinFS v1.021
I can create a session and I can also see that a external connection can be made.

Also have a laptop on W10, FSX and JoinFSv1.021
I cannot connect to de desktop.
If I create a session on the laptop then I cannot join from the desktop. Also an external connection is not possible.

Plesae can you help me?

Regards,
Jos
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Connecting problem on W10

Post by Peter »

Hi Jos.

Are you able to connect other applications between these two machines, and can they see each other already over the LAN?

If you are connecting over LAN you should ignore the "MyIP" address that is shown in the JoinFS window, because this is your external address. What you need to do is connect to the internal IP address of the machine. For example:

Desktop address: 192.168.0.2
Laptop address: 192.168.0.3

In JoinFS on the desktop, click Create.

In JoinFS on the laptop, enter "192.168.0.2" in the Join box and click the Join button.

They should then be connected.

Hope that helps,

Best regards,
Peter
PH-LCS

Post by PH-LCS »

Hi Peter,

Thx for the quick responce.
I changed the local adress on both desktop and laptop.

I started on create session on desktop. Connected on laptop to desktop and succesfull.

I started on create session on laptop. Connected on desktop to laptop and NO LUCK.

Even if I turn off the firewall on laptop no luck.

Also from outside you cannot connect.

gr.
Jos
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Jos,

Can you double check the internal IP address of the laptop that you are entering into the desktop JoinFS? Sometimes it's easy to put a comma instead of a dot.

If you want people to connect from outside you need to make sure you have configured port forwarding on your router. Do you need any help setting that up? You'll need to port forward your port (default is 6112) to your PC.

Peter
PH-LCS

Post by PH-LCS »

Hi Peter,

I double checked and the IP's are correct. see att. JFS1

Started session laptop, see att JFS2

Joining on desktop, see att JFS3

Strange thing is that from outside people can join when created session on Desktop. And there is no portfowarding needed on router.

You can try for yourselve to join on my desktop.

gr.
Jos
Skaldy

Post by Skaldy »

Check this setting in Windows Control Panel, for both machines:

Under Network and Internet...Network and Sharing Center...Advanced sharing settings...Private (current profile),
make sure Network Discovery is ON.

(but don't turn it on for the "Guest or Public" profile)
PH-LCS

Post by PH-LCS »

Hi Peter,

Checked on both machines and the detection is on for current profile and off for guest and public.

Can you try to login to desktop session?

Maybe we can set Teamviewer session?

gr.
Jos
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Jos,

I can't see any of your attachments from your earlier post.

Are you behind a home router?

If outsiders can join your desktop successfully, then your router will be pointing them to that. It may be because you already connected outwards from your desktop, so your router is now auto-configured to send from 6112 to your desktop. This will mean they can't connect to your laptop unless you manually configure the router to do so.

Peter
PH-LCS

Post by PH-LCS »

Sent you a PM.

Jos
PH-LCS

Post by PH-LCS »

Peter,

Wanted to let you know that the problem is solved with the ne version 1.1.2

As well local as external can now join my server.
Thx for your help and great program.

Still have a question: Does the password also allow connecting to the hub? In other words, is it possible to set the hub with a password so that only those can login with the password?

gr.
Jos
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Good question about the password. First of all the password is currently not fully implemented, so it won't work with the current version. Second, the password is functionally separate from the hub, so you could have any combination of those two. So really the question is does it make sense to have public hubs that are password protected? My initial thoughts on this were that hubs are designed to be publicly seen and available to join. If it was password protected that would imply that it is a private server and so it shouldn't really show up in the list of public hubs. It may also be annoying for people to view a list of online hubs only to find that half are blocked off. Of course I'm open to ideas, so is there a particular reason that you would like to be able to do that? Is it because you'd like to advertise it, for invite only, for example?

Peter
Giancarlo

Post by Giancarlo »

Same situation and same configurations, but no connecting issues with last upgrade version.
If there was a problem it's solved.
Ciao,
Giancarlo
Giancarlo

Post by Giancarlo »

Good to know that password is not fully implemented, ì was trying to use it.
I am part of an ìtalian virtual association and yes, for us a password could be useful.
Often we make flying tours with a fleet of aircrafts, pre-organized, with common fligth plans, procedures, schedules, etc. Someone joining from outside could be quite disturbing.
So, even not essential, in some cases a password could help.
Best
Giancarlo
PS may be a lock icon near the protected hubs?
Timonier

Post by Timonier »

Giancarlo wrote:Good to know that password is not fully implemented, ì was trying to use it.
I am part of an ìtalian virtual association and yes, for us a password could be useful.
Often we make flying tours with a fleet of aircrafts, pre-organized, with common fligth plans, procedures, schedules, etc. Someone joining from outside could be quite disturbing.
So, even not essential, in some cases a password could help.
Best
Giancarlo
PS may be a lock icon near the protected hubs?
Hello Peter,

I like this proposal of Giancarlo. I would also request a "private HUB" for my Virtual Company. It should be useful too.
Thanks to consider our request ;)

Best Regards
Marc
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Marc,

The question is, would it need to be a hub? You can simply set up a password protected private server and leave it running without having it enabled as a hub. So I'm just wondering what are the benefits of making it a hub?

Thanks,
Peter
Timonier

Post by Timonier »

Hi Peter,

OK thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if it is possible, inside JoinFS, to implement a private server ? If yes I don't see what I must do.
I think the benefit with the HUB is that people who wants to be connected all together is very easy. Indeed they select the HUB name and then join the network.
Waiting for your further advices;)
Best Regards
Marc
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Marc,

To set up a private server, all you need to do is run the JoinFS client on your server. Then to invite someone to join you just let them know the IP address (shown as My IP on the main window), or a domain name if you have one available. The invitee then runs their JoinFS client, opens the Bookmarks window and adds a new entry for the private server. Whenever they run JoinFS they can view the Bookmarks to see if the server is online, select it and click Join at the bottom of the window.

Once the password is implemented they will either be asked for the password or they will be able to set it as part of the bookmark.

Peter
Timonier

Post by Timonier »

OK Peter,
Thanks for your explanations. I'll try that this evening.
Best Regards
Marc