Failing aircraft selection

Report problems with JoinFS.
Deano1973

Failing aircraft selection

Post by Deano1973 »

Hi Peter,

Starting a new thread about this. I have done extensive testing with v1.0.16 now and can confirm that there is still a bug with regard to which aircraft can be selected as substitutes. This is something that was not present before in v1.0.14.

I have tested with the default FSX EH101 and any attempt to alter any other aircraft to this type results in a failure to load the aircraft which then becomes invisible in FSX, after which it becomes impossible to select the original aircraft at all. If the aircraft is highlighted in the list and the mouse cursor leaves the white area of the selection window in order to again change models, the aircraft vanishes from the list and the "Change Model" button greys out. The only way to rectify this is to access the JoinFS folder and manually delete the relevant model matching line.

This bug seems to have emerged since alterations were made to the JoinFS code where it would identify spaces in the .cfg entries. Aircraft types that were visible and selectable prior to this ( especially helicopters ) no longer appear in any form in FSX.

Log attached,

Dean
Attachments
log.zip
(376 Bytes) Downloaded 274 times
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Failing aircraft selection

Post by Peter »

Hi Dean,

Thanks very much for investigating this. I'm happy to say that I can repeat the problem here, so it won't be long before we have a solution. :)

Best regards,
Peter
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Found the problem and fixed it. The particular error is likely to have caused this whenever someone changed from plane to helicopter, or vice versa.

Version 1.0.17 will hopefully be out later this week.

Thanks,
Peter
Deano1973

Post by Deano1973 »

Peter wrote:Found the problem and fixed it. The particular error is likely to have caused this whenever someone changed from plane to helicopter, or vice versa.

Version 1.0.17 will hopefully be out later this week.

Thanks,
Peter
That's brilliant Peter, many thanks! I'll let the chaps know, and we'll keep you updated on any issues ( of which there are less and less! ) :)
Deano1973

Post by Deano1973 »

Hi Peter,

More issues tonight for us, aircraft showing to some and not others, appearing, disappearing etc. One aircraft I selected as a test substitute dropped my frame rates to 8fps ( on a two month old VR ready PC with GTX1080 ). Dino Cattaneo's F-14D caused a massive Simconnect issue.

Logs attached from all tonight's flights. The issue that affects helicopters also affects other aircraft but I'm not sure why or how. At this time, v1.0.13 was the most stable model-matching version and we might roll back to it for now. All formations for aircraft that do show up are as smooth as ever though :)

Hope these help,

Dean
logs.zip
(19.04 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Thanks, Dean. Is there anywhere I can get hold of these aircraft that don't work. i.e. the tomcat, super hornet and tornado? Not a lot I can do without trying these aircraft here.

Peter
Deano1973

Post by Deano1973 »

Peter wrote:Thanks, Dean. Is there anywhere I can get hold of these aircraft that don't work. i.e. the tomcat, super hornet and tornado? Not a lot I can do without trying these aircraft here.

Peter
Hi Peter,

The F-14D is available as freeware at: http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.co.uk/

However, I don't believe that any individual aircraft model is at fault. From one day to the next, aircraft change in their ability to be seen. Dino's F-35 Lightning II was showing up normally to me on Tuesday, but was invisible last night ( Thursday ). During testing on Wednesday, I sat on the "server" alongside the default aircraft and changed it through 22 differing types without issue. On Thursday night, nobody could be selected as one of those types without vanishing and the "Change model" button greying out.

It's very hard to identify what's causing this. Could it be JoinFS's ability to read the .cfg "title" lines of various aircraft? I did notice that one particular aircraft that we use, for which I have only a single model and type, appeared perfectly first time without drama when that player logged on. However, our AI Aircraft folder in SimObjects that we use to substitute pay-ware machines that we don't own also only contains one aircraft and one model variation.

I did check all aircraft concerned and all .cfgs contain ui_type and ui_variation entries in their .cfg files. I'll keep trying to figure it out but at the moment I can find no logical explanation for the randomness. Last night, of ten players, I could see only one. The only thing that fixed it was to shut everything down, re-start, re-scan only my SimObjects>Airplanes folder, and select default FSX aircraft. Everybody then showed up, just as the wrong types for our squadrons... Could that point to an issue with folders perhaps? But if so, why would all my AI Aircraft folder models appear one day, but not the next? Very confusing.

All best,
Dean