Missing Aircraft with X-Plane and Little Nav Map

Report problems with JoinFS.
picnic

Missing Aircraft with X-Plane and Little Nav Map

Post by picnic »

Several x-plane users in our flight sim group have been reporting they don't see all the multi-player aircraft on Little Nav Map. As a result I did some experimenting the other evening.

As far as I could tell all the multiplayer aircraft could be seen in X-Plane but one was always missing in Little Nav Map. It's always the last connection that was missing. So if player 2 left and rejoined you wouldn't see them upon reconnection but you'd now see the previous player you couldn't see before.

Sadly I have no way of knowing if this is a joinFS issue or a Little Nav Map one. What can be done to try and resolve this please?

Posted over at AVSIM in the LNM section as well.
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Missing Aircraft with X-Plane and Little Nav Map

Post by Peter »

Hi picnic,

Nice bit of debugging there. It might be worth comparing what you see in LNM to what is show in the X-Plane default map. If everything is ok in the X-Plane map, then perhaps it is a problem with LNM?

Peter
picnic

Post by picnic »

I didn't check the X-Plane's built in map but I'd expect to see the aircraft in there as you see the labels from the cockpit in game. Will check anyway later. Sadly it's one of those sorts of bugs where it's hard for me know if it's a data labelling problem by joinFS confusing LNM or an actual LNM one. I did wonder if there was a similar issue with the IVAO or VATSIM clients which might help 'point the blame' ;) Not sure that one is easy to check, at least on our group's connection I know exactly how many pilots there are.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Just checked the code and there is an aircraft count that gets updated, along with aircraft indices/IDs, so I wonder if there is a slight mismatch in the data that JoinFS sets. That sounds like a contender. Will look into it.

Peter
picnic

Post by picnic »

Thank you Peter :)
picnic

Post by picnic »

Peter this is the reply from Alex, LNM developer
LNM reads the usual multiplayer datarefs "sim/multiplayer/position/plane..." which are limited to 19 AI aircraft. You can look at these with the dataref editor to check what's going on there. The first aircraft is always excluded in the list of 20 since this is the user aircraft. I don't know if this can cause the issue or if it is a problem with joinFS.

I plan to support the new X-Plane TCAS interface in a future version of LNM which allows more aircraft. No idea if joinFS uses this.
Could there be a clash here with the user aircraft and the first one you are injecting? I have no idea about the TCAS reference.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

That is interesting. I am no longer using the "sim/multiplayer/position" datarefs, but the "sim/cockpit2/tcas/targets/" instead, which I think Alex might be referring to in that last sentence. So I suppose the question is, why are you seeing any aircraft at all. Unless X-Plane is filling in those multiplayer datarefs from the TCAS information?

Peter
picnic

Post by picnic »

That sounds like it makes things even more confusing! As LNM can see all but one aircraft could there be a bug in X-Plane where it's not cross pollinating the datarefs from the TCAS data?

Reading Alex's link I see the TCAS interface is X-Plane 11.50 onwards, does this mean joinFS has lost X-Plane 10 compatibility?
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

picnic wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:14 am Reading Alex's link I see the TCAS interface is X-Plane 11.50 onwards, does this mean joinFS has lost X-Plane 10 compatibility?
I am fairly sure that JoinFS was never compatible with X-Plane 10. Might be wrong though.

Peter
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Should be fixed in v2.1.5.

Peter
picnic

Post by picnic »

Nice one, thank you Peter :D
picnic

Post by picnic »

Something weird going on with version numbers. If I download the latest (page doesn't tell you which version that is) and I look at the Details page in File Properties it claims to be 2.1.15 yet when it runs it states it's version 2.1.3 :?

Do we need the latest test version therefore to see this fix?
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

picnic wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:44 am Something weird going on with version numbers. If I download the latest (page doesn't tell you which version that is) and I look at the Details page in File Properties it claims to be 2.1.15 yet when it runs it states it's version 2.1.3 :?

Do we need the latest test version therefore to see this fix?
Which file are you looking at? Can't see anything about 2.1.15 in the details tab.

The fix is in v2.1.5. Latest release as shown on the Release Notes is v2.1.3. v2.1.5 will be released tomorrow, all being well.

Peter
picnic

Post by picnic »

There is no accounting for peoples stupidity is there :oops: I saw a version number in the details but it was in fact the file name :roll:

Off to crawl back under my stone :( Sorry to have disturbed you
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

picnic wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:30 pm There is no accounting for peoples stupidity is there :oops: I saw a version number in the details but it was in fact the file name :roll:

Off to crawl back under my stone :( Sorry to have disturbed you
No worries. 8-)

Peter