Is JoinFS working in X-Plane 11 for anyone?

Suggestions, ideas and general discussion about JoinFS.
RandyH

Is JoinFS working in X-Plane 11 for anyone?

Post by RandyH »

I fly with 2 different groups using JoinFS.

One group flys FSX only and JoinFS works perfectly. The other group flys X-Plane 11 and it is a disaster....some people can see some people sometime. Other people can't see anyone...anytime.

Is anyone getting JoinFS to work in X-Plane consistently?

Randy
cpuwolf

Re: Is JoinFS working in X-Plane 11 for anyone?

Post by cpuwolf »

is it? just know this network. would like to have it test tonight
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

RandyH wrote:Other people can't see anyone...anytime.
Randy
Did you all have AI aircraft added to the flight configuration?

Peter
cpuwolf

Post by cpuwolf »

you must first start the simulator before scaning for models

but plugin has been loaded by X-Plane 11
Last edited by cpuwolf on Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

You need to run X-Plane and go all the way into a flight before connecting with JoinFS.

Peter
cpuwolf

Post by cpuwolf »

Thanks Peter make such great tool.

you know what I am thinking. I bet it will change history. it is a tool between Hamachi(LAN) and Vatsim(Center Server), and it fills the gap.

Last night, our 3 Chinese friends: 2 on XP11.30b6, 1 on XP11.26, after a few struggles, eventually we made it. so I would like to share some hints for you who want to connect such "future" network.

Q: Do I need register a new account?

A: no, you don't. just download and connect

Q: what should I do?

A: just download 1.8MB tool, that is it

Q: how my friend aircraft look like?

A: there is no HD CSL in JoinFS, I say again "no HD CSL". so what you see is "real" payware aircraft you just bought from store. that is why I say between hamachi and Vatsim. vatsim uses HD CSL, and hamachi also uses "real" payware aircraft, but XP LAN network is really suck, and here JoinFS fills the suck gap. thanks to Peter

Q: there are 2 buttons on JoinFS

A: you have to make sure "simulator" and "network" buttons they are both green. "simulator" is for connection between "JoinFS" and "X-Plane", button "network" is for connection between "JoinFS" and "future network"

Q: button "simulator" is orange color

A: because you didn't install plugin for X-Plane. steps are quite simple, in JoinFS menu File->settings, in pop-up window, botton-right area, you will see "install...." click it and give your x-plane root directory, and restart you X-Plane

Q: why I can see my friends in network, but I cannot see them

A: please remove conflict plugins, XSB, IVAO, X-LIfe,Worldtraffic, etc. which controls your AI, and restart X-Plane

Q: even if I remove conflict plugins, I still cannot see my friends(tricky part)

A: last night we took 1 hour to find the trick here: add X-Plane AI aircrafts to the number of friends, so in my case, I added 3 AI aircrafts
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Thanks, cpuwolf.

I had a look at HD CSL, but didn't quite manage it using some third party libraries. I'll take another look at it at some point.

Some of those other points are covered in the manual, http://pmem.uk/joinfs/manual.html#xplane

Peter
wing_man

Post by wing_man »

Peter,
Edit model matching is only for FSX/P3D, correct? If one is using x-plane 11, then you must use the AI and edit the plane in there, correct? IF this is true, could you make a notation in the documentation stating "Not for x-plane 11" ? If we can use model matching, let me know the procedure for x-plane 11 users. Thanks.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

wing_man wrote:Peter,
Edit model matching is only for FSX/P3D, correct? If one is using x-plane 11, then you must use the AI and edit the plane in there, correct? IF this is true, could you make a notation in the documentation stating "Not for x-plane 11" ? If we can use model matching, let me know the procedure for x-plane 11 users. Thanks.
Yes, you can use model matching in X-Plane. JoinFS will ignore the type of aircraft you add as AI and replace it based on the model matching criteria. It's still a bit early days though on the X-Plane model matching. Liveries aren't properly supported and it's currently only going by the folder names. If you use the Substitute option in the normal way you'll get a list of aircraft based on the file names it has enumerated. Still needs some work I think, and I still haven't quite worked out how to go about the CSL route. I'll take another look at the available XSquawkBox library, but last time I got stuck with all its dependency requirements.

Peter
cpuwolf

Post by cpuwolf »

hi Peter,
I found serious shutter in XP11 yesterday. I think it has bug or limitation of that "xp plugin", in theory, update AI aircrafts position in every frame draw, even if network is slow, has long latency with peer, the worst case is "don't update AI position", I don't understand why it has shutter.

PS, I am software engineer as well
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

In answer to the original poster.

Yes, we have had a session on our hub with FSX Box and SE, XP11, P3dv4 all at the same time. With all simulators, we have established the procedure of getting the sim "up" on the ground, and THEN run JFS.
Differences? Height only, b ut we know why, all sims have established their own ground heights, and there is, afaik, nothing we can do about that, except ignore it.
Once we are all in the air, we are all at the same height!!

Ergo, we stopped worrying.

Bob, for http://www.flybywires.net
jelder

Post by jelder »

I have been using JoinFS with a friend and we have been having a lot of problems. If we both try to fly the default Baron, one of us will get white instruments, and most of the time I see him doing circles down the runway or spinning in the air. Anyone have any ideas or recommendations as to what we are doing wrong?

Thanks.

Jim
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

I've seen the white instruments, so I can repeat that. I was flying the bell 407 and played back a recording. I would be surprised if it didn't allow you to add another AI aircraft of the same type, so it could be something JoinFS is updating when it shouldn't be. Need to investigate that. The spiraling could be something similar. For example I've noticed that again with a recorded aircraft (same will likely apply to multiplayer aircraft) that the user input will also apply to the other aircraft, causing it to react in an odd way.

Peter
Marpilot

Post by Marpilot »

Hello,
thanks for this plugin and net. It is a game changer!
For the last two days I experimented and had 3-4 exciting flights :)
Now I have some questions below.
I wonder if having labels as an option would be made?
Hard to spot GA planes, but it must be so in reality so it is OK :)
On the joinFS map I often see doubled or even tripled planes - why is that?
Also some pilots have a DEP-ARR in flight plan - how is it done?
About comms : would be great to have sound notification about messages.

Cheers :)
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Marpilot wrote: On the joinFS map I often see doubled or even tripled planes - why is that?
Because I haven't totally optimised the map yet.
So it adds the latest position for the aircraft, before the old position expires.
Marpilot wrote: Also some pilots have a DEP-ARR in flight plan - how is it done?
By filing a flight plan with the flight planner in FSX or P3D.
I'm not sure if Xplane has a similar feature and if it has, that Peter has gotten around to implement it yet?
Marpilot wrote: About comms : would be great to have sound notification about messages.
Or you could try Simcom X as it was built specifically for JoinFS. ;)
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Yes, I think it’s missing the flight plan in X-Plane. Should be easy enough to implement that.

Peter
Marpilot

Post by Marpilot »

Thanks for the answers - will try filling flight plan in XP - never used internal ATC :) Always IVAO.
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Peter wrote:Yes, I think it’s missing the flight plan in X-Plane. Should be easy enough to implement that.

Peter
Can the frequency for aircraft also be added to the whazzup.
No biggie, I just thought I'd ask whilst you were tinkering.

I've heard others ask if the user and aircraft list could be sorted in order too. Like the hub list for example.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

ATC Roo wrote: Can the frequency for aircraft also be added to the whazzup.

I've heard others ask if the user and aircraft list could be sorted in order too. Like the hub list for example.
Shouldn't be a problem. The sorting idea has crossed my mind on occasion as well.

Peter
foo

Post by foo »

hi @cpuwolf did you discover a solution to the stuttering problem?

I am unable to use JoinFS yet due to this issue