The JoinFS Map

Suggestions, ideas and general discussion about JoinFS.
ATC Roo

The JoinFS Map

Post by ATC Roo »

The JoinFS Map has been up and working well for a few months now.

https://joinfsmap.dotdash.space

If you have any problems with it let me know here in this thread.

The map displays images for the aircraft your flying based on real aircraft ICAO codes.
If it's an aircraft it hasn't seen before, it will search the internet for a picture of that ICAO code.

So if you see a random picture for an aircraft you fly please check in the aircraft cfg file, that the correct ICAO code is set under the GENERAL section.
ie P28A not PA28, Arrow or PA28 Gold etc etc.

If it is then please send me a picture you would like displayed for that aircraft type and I can add it to the map.

For instances where no info is displayed on and aircraft click.
1. Make sure there are no spaces in your JoinFS nickname.
2. Real ICAO trigraphs are used for Callsigns.
These are 3 letters followed by numbers or numbers and letters.
Callsigns starting with two Letters will not show a picture.
3. If N/A is shown as your aircraft type, check the ICAO type is correct as above and if so let me know so I can add that type to the map.

Any other issues with the map let me know and I'll try my best to help.
Last edited by ATC Roo on Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Site Admin

Re: The JoinFS Map

Post by Peter »

Great job, Roo. It works very well. In the next version there is a button on the hub list window which opens your browser with the map page, so you can easily see what's happening. Also, there's now an Auto Join button on the main window which automatically joins you into the hub with the nearest aircraft to you. As you fly it constantly monitors where you are and switches to another hub as necessary. So it's ideal for people who don't mind which hub they join, you can just run JoinFS with Auto Join and that's it, nothing else is required, you just fly. 8-)

One minor point before anyone notices it. There is a bug in the whazzup output which makes most of the aircraft have a heading close to zero (north). Thankfully I don't think anyone has noticed yet but it should be fixed in the next version.

Peter
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Peter wrote:
One minor point before anyone notices it. There is a bug in the whazzup output which makes most of the aircraft have a heading close to zero (north). Thankfully I don't think anyone has noticed yet but it should be fixed in the next version.

Peter
I noticed they all start at North but all the whazzup maps I've ever used have the aircraft initial position that way before the next position update anyway, so I thought that was it. :)
Could it be the same in Euroscope.txt?
The ground aircraft symbol always points north using that, although I've never found it an issue.

Speaking of Euroscope.txt....... :)
If you get time could you edit the output to show squawk, speed and heading. At the moment heading is showing as speed and squawk looks like it has a typo.
I only ask as I am using the data output as you know.
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Writing that I've just realised why the aircraft symbol points north. :)
Daikan

Post by Daikan »

I'm using X-Plane and my aircraft type is never recognized ("NA") on the map even though the aircraft model (.acf) uses the correct ICAO code (G2CA). Isn't the ICAO determined by the plugin based on what is specified in the current .acf?
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Daikan wrote:I'm using X-Plane and my aircraft type is never recognized ("NA") on the map even though the aircraft model (.acf) uses the correct ICAO code (G2CA). Isn't the ICAO determined by the plugin based on what is specified in the current .acf?
What is your aircraft type in the whazzup file below?

https://roo.servebeer.com/jfs/whazzup.txt