Collision Damage

Suggestions, ideas and general discussion about JoinFS.
JackRiordan

Collision Damage

Post by JackRiordan »

Peter,

Is there any way to add damage when two aircraft get too close to each other?

Is it possible give each player a small x,y,z radius that, if anyone else enters into, it will cause their engine to catch on fire and die immediately? I think it would be a great realism addition to Hubs, as well as the sharing of date/time.

I also think it would solve the issue with Tacpack models not causing damage as well.
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Collision Damage

Post by Peter »

Hi Jack,

I might be able to damage the engine using SimConnect, or perhaps force the simulator to cause damage by very briefly superimposing the aircraft with collision enabled in FSX.

With FSX collision enabled, do you not get damage anyway when you collide over the network?

Peter
JackRiordan

Post by JackRiordan »

Traditionally, any sort of collision would just freeze your aircraft, display CRASH, at the top of the screen, and reset your flight. Not realistic at all, and frankly it's just annoying :x .

Over the weekend, I was thinking about collisions in FSX. During our group flights, we're never worried about colliding with each other, because most of us keep the collision detection in our realism settings turned off. The reason being is that FSX has a nasty habit of having collision boxes in the weirdest places :roll: .

Instead of collisions being tracked in FSX, I'm wondering if it's possible to have joinFS do it instead. My idea is to cause the aircrafts' engines to catch fire and die (or some other damage) if a node crosses into another node's territory. Therefore, you could have the realistic effect of aircraft having mid-air collisions ;) .

In theory, a tacpack object, such as a missile, could be fired at another aircraft and would have the same effect :mrgreen: .
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Yes, a missile would probably make sure of it. :D

I think this may well be possible, it appears that I can set the engine damage from 0-100%. I can use a little bit of math to accurately detect the collision, well, it really depends what kind of object extent data I can get hold of, but it should work. It's on the to do list ;)

Peter
JackRiordan

Post by JackRiordan »

Peter wrote:Yes, a missile would probably make sure of it. :D

I think this may well be possible, it appears that I can set the engine damage from 0-100%. I can use a little bit of math to accurately detect the collision, well, it really depends what kind of object extent data I can get hold of, but it should work. It's on the to do list ;)

Peter
Thank you :D I'm curious to see how this will turn out ;)
Chris_P

Post by Chris_P »

My concern about this, is that in this case, even just one Tacpack bullet will be enough
for the full damage on another plane - while Tacpack calculates accumulative damage.
JackRiordan

Post by JackRiordan »

Chris_P wrote:My concern about this, is that in this case, even just one Tacpack bullet will be enough
for the full damage on another plane - while Tacpack calculates accumulative damage.
Only matters if you're the unlucky one caught in the crosshairs :D

At least it would be something that could be a starting point to see if it will work as intended.

If it does work, then maybe the damage can be adjusted later depending on the size or speed of the objects when they collide.