Multiplayer in Mission System and Tacpack via JoinFS ?...

Suggestions, ideas and general discussion about JoinFS.
Chris_P

Multiplayer in Mission System and Tacpack via JoinFS ?...

Post by Chris_P »

Hi Peter and Congratulations for this achievment !
It may "warm up" the Multiplayer FSX community, currently divided by the
many different versions (Boxed, Steam, P3D).

I'm an experienced FSX/P3D Mission builder with interest in Military themes
and use of weapon/system addons like Tacpack.
Problem with MP Missions is that in FSX/P3D you can't use Tacpack because it's functionality
"breaks" in Multiplayer FSX/P3D Missions dew to lack of slew mode availabity
that Tacpack needs to work properly, in this environment (MS considered slew
availability in MP Missions a cheat and disabled it there).
On the other hand, slew mode is available in Single player FSX Missions and Tacpack
operates fine there.

:idea: So my idea - question is, if we can "cheat" using JoinFS for connecting in Multiplayer
while in FSX/P3D Mission System environment at the same time, like follows :

:?: Is it possible for participating players while each and everyone runs the same
Single player FSX Mission on his system, to connect after that with each other
via JoinFS and fly in his own mission environment while seeing the rest of the players also ?...

If this is possible, I strongly believe that we can have mission scripted events in
Multiplayer flying, properly triggered for each player, with ability of Tacpack
functionality also !... This would be a "dream comes true" for the Multiplayer
Tacpack Military community currently restricted to Free Flight mode for virtual
operations.

Greetings, Chris.
Last edited by Chris_P on Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Multiplayer in Mission System via JoinFS ?...

Post by Peter »

Hi Chris,

thanks for your interest.

I don't know too much about the mission system. Is this separate from Free Flight?

I guess you could try it out and see what happens and let us know your findings. It will be interesting to see if another aspect of FSX is usable with the JoinFS multiplayer client.

Best regards,
Peter
Chris_P

Post by Chris_P »

Testers needed !

As you know, Tacpack doesn't work in FSX/P3D Multiplayer Missions (dew to lack of slew mode).
Nevertheless, Tacpack works fine in Single player Missions. With JoinFS we can "cheat", being
in Single player Missions and connect online through JoinFS program. ;)
Thus we can have the scripted mission system interactive environment with functional Tacpack.

For speeding a bit things up, confirm that Multiplayer Mission play with JoinFS concept works,
identify any mishaps and estimate the potential for FSX/P3D Military Ops with this,
I provide this testing multiplayer mission (up to 4 players) for any interested people to fly and test online with JoinFS.

It's for Piglet's Skyriders (A-1J), Tacpacked by Ed Akridge ( http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php ... d=53832153 , FSX Tacpack Conversion For Tim Conrad's A-1J)
Mission Scenario : A flight of Skyriders will take off to attack an enemy ship AAA capable. AI Leader No1 will lead players to target's position. Users are in charge of sinking the ship. When job is done, players rejoin their leader - closer than 150m - for RTB. Good Luck !
Download Link FSX -> Files have been changed after initial tests and need few work more. Will be reposted for tests if wanted

Download Link P3D v3-> Files have been changed and need few work more. Will be reposted for tests if wanted

Please post your results & experience with this, if you try it. I'll add the P3D V3 version also, for transplatform testing with JoinFS.

Mission "spoiler"
https://www.youtube.com/embed/maiFgD6Z6Ms
Last edited by Chris_P on Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edakridge

Post by edakridge »

Flew a mission with Chris this morning. 2 actually, and I consider the success amazing! The first mission we were both in FSX and both saw the AI transmitted by the host, both saw the Tacpack air to ground effects and damage. When He fired rockets or guns, I saw the splashes and explosions and vice versa. When the Target Ship was hit, we both saw the explosion and the sip sinking. The second flight, I was in P3D and He was in FSX. The results were identical. I don't know about anyone else, but I consider this a MAJOR leap forward for combat operations in FSX/P3D! We did identify 1 minor bug though. If the mission Host (Who is broadcasting the AI) "Dies", he must leave and rejoin JoinFS or his AI is duplicated.
Chris_P

Post by Chris_P »

With Ed, we test flew for about 4 hours sortening things out... More tests
will be needed for sure.

But as Ed said... Well... what can I say Peter sir !...
Mission Accomplished ! Thank you very much for
JoinFS and Congratulations !

Multiplayer flying in FSX/P3D Mission System (and combined) with functional
Tacpack is a fact !
:D
Overall, a smooth flying experience, with no jittering, neither FPS impact ! While we were
attacking the Ship, seeing each other's rockets, bombs and struffing runs Tacpack effects at the target area, was sooo immersive & fun !...

Sure few things have to be sorted out and some considerations about the best set up for the best functional result while flying, but I'm very optimistic that everything will be sorted out... Exciting times !...

Joinfs FSX to FSX connection :

At starting positions with Ed and AI Leader

Heading for the Ship in formation. AI leads the way...

Airbrake for dive bombing under Ship Flak fire...

Me in FSX and Ed in P3D v3 :

Heading there :

Targets destroyed !

Thumbs up Peter and Cheers !
Wood

Post by Wood »

This is awesome stuff Chris. Sorry I haven't replied to you at FSX@war put things have been crazy. I'll reply to your PM in detail in the next few days.

Later
Wood
edakridge

Post by edakridge »

Chris and I flew another session of the same scripted mission today. Our findings are as follows: We are both seeing the AI transmitted by the host. We are both seeing damage to the AI. On the way back I had Chris shoot me down and the damage was visible, but Tacpack did not transmit the damage to my aircraft. I was still able to fly. (See Picture)

I know that Peter is working on Tacpack compatibilty. I just wanted to pass my findings along.

P.S. I don't know if it makes any difference or not, but I was in P3D and Chris was in FSX.
Chris_P

Post by Chris_P »

This is a video of a Multiplayer session (2 players, myself & Ed) in FSX Mission System and
with full Tacpack functionality, thank's to JoinFS's new network connection abilities...

I know VRS tried hard in the past to make this happen - Tacpack in Multiplayer
Mission System - with no luck. Solution comes in an unexpected but most welcomed
way, as a "side effect"...

VIDEO ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjBzELaFlJg

The "trick" is, flying via JoinFS in Single Player Mission System that slew is available,
thus so the Tacpack also. Each client in session flies in his own Single Mission, while
connected in network with other clients with JoinFS. So, mission events are triggered
localy for each player on his end, while everybody can see the same action transferred
by JoinFS and Tacpack...

At this point of JoinFS's development, there are two issues though :

1. User can't damage any other user with Tacpack, cause damage isn't transferred by
Tacpack currently.

2. Users can't damage FSX@War theater stractures.

So currently, MP flying with Tacpack & JoinFS is restricted to co-operative missions
of humans vs AIs (planes, vehicles, boats). Not bad at all !... and let's see what the future will bring...

Last edited by Chris_P on Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Multiplayer in Mission System and Tacpack via JoinFS ?...

Post by Peter »

Great stuff, thanks for sharing. Will be looking to get the damage propagated properly soon. That should be be significant.

Peter
edakridge

Post by edakridge »

Peter, I flew this mission with Chris today. Great Fun! What we have all hoped for seems to be right around the corner! i still give you an A+, A++ is right around the corner! We are testing and hopefully providing useful Data.
Chris_P

Post by Chris_P »

Will be looking to get the damage propagated properly soon. That should be significant.
For people like us, that choose to fly in FSX/P3D for military operations with Tacpack, yes it will be... :)
Succeeding in this, will bring us the potential and ability of having two player teams, each with his own
AIs, fighting against each other in scripted missions environment... Quite like what DCS does...

In video above, we were 2 humans against 4 AIs. Imagine this "furball" with two opposing teams, consisted
of humans & AIs, fighting against each other... Great times for FS !...
Wood

Post by Wood »

Great work guys

Wood
felipius

Post by felipius »

Chris_P wrote:
The "trick" is, flying via JoinFS in Single Player Mission System that slew is available,
thus so the Tacpack also. Each client in session flies in his own Single Mission, while
connected in network with other clients with JoinFS. So, mission events are triggered
localy for each player on his end, while everybody can see the same action transferred
by JoinFS and Tacpack...

At this point of JoinFS's development, there are two issues though :

1. User can't damage any other user with Tacpack, cause damage isn't transferred by
Tacpack currently.

2. Users can't damage FSX@War theater stractures.

So currently, MP flying with Tacpack & JoinFS is restricted to co-operative missions
of humans vs AIs (planes, vehicles, boats). Not bad at all !... and let's see what the future will bring...
Well, good job guys but, there is a couple of things I do not understand.

1) The beneffist of use Single player mission system is that tackpack events( tacan, ils,...) works, right?. But what about fuel transferrig?. I mean, will a tanker created by one of the clients transfer fuel to the others clients? This is not currently operative in single player using joinfs. And this takes me to the second question;
2) How do you sincronize the triggers of the single mission in every client? Just broadcasting objest through joinfs?

These two question comes because in the last two weeks I have been looking into a way to refuell from a KC-135 in multiplayer using joinfs, with no good results. Due to lag in internet conexión( a dancing kc135 is not a good partner to do the job... :roll: ) or lack of tacpack functions through joinfs, it was impossible for me to find a solution. The way explained here could be a possible one.
Does anybody have this issue too?

Thanks.