Ways On Creating Server

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
Empire

Ways On Creating Server

Post by Empire »

I want to know as I'm new to this JoinFS of ways to able to host an server that will be always open? I run and own websites and rather creating an server as soon as I'm about to fly and tell what my IP (don't like showing my IP) is to others, Just want to have it so that anyone who does fly with me to able to join the server at anytime they want.

Also without the need of spending that extra cash. I thought there would be an option that JoinFS might offer servers to rent?
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Ways On Creating Server

Post by Peter »

JoinFS is a peer to peer networking tool, so its resource requirements are very minimal. You can easily run JoinFS, or several instances of it, on one laptop at home without a problem. It can also run on linux under Wine, can't remember if anyone has it working on a Raspberry Pi or not.

If you launch JoinFS on one of your existing servers you'll see on the main JoinFS window there is a 'Me' box with a 10 digit number. All you need to do is tell your fellow pilots that number and they can use it to connect to your server at any time. That number is an encrypted representation of the IP address, so you won't be giving away that information.

There are some command line options if you wish to configure a shortcut with the settings or launch on Windows restart etc.

Hope that helps,
Peter
blue_ice

Re: Ways On Creating Server

Post by blue_ice »

I don't use the Raspberry PI, I've been using something similar called LattePanda https://www.lattepanda.com/. It's been running Joinfs 24/7 for the last 18 months flawlessly. Only things i've added is a fan and a freeware program called Shutter lite which reboots it every 24 hours. My setup cost me around £100

Darren