Any questions regarding JoinFS.
canuck21a

Looking for Simulator

Post by canuck21a »

Hi,
I am new to JoinFS.
I have FSX, FSX-SE and P3D 3.4.
FSX Acceleration is on its own PC.
FSX-SE and P3D v3.4 are on their own PC.

I have installed JoinFS on the FSX system with no obvious issues and can connect to a host session.

I have no such luck with the other PC. I verified that I had the version of simconnect added; first it was installed using the FSX-SE SDK and then after having no luck with FSX-SE I installed it again with the "same" P3D simconnect version.

I removed JoinFS and then installed fresh but I still see the same message in the monitor window.

Perhaps there is an issue with the simconnect versions or how many might be somehow active?
Not sure....
I do have other simconnect clients on other PC's that have used the active simconnect.xml file on the system running FSX-SE and P3D with no obvious issues.

I also have a new PC with both FSX-SE and P3D v3.4. I have not tried to install JoinFS on that system as the issues need sorting before I go there.

Thanks for any help provided,

Darryl Wightman (canuck21a)
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Looking for Simulator

Post by Peter »

Hi Darryl,

you can check which versions of SimConnect you have installed by going to the Windows control panel and selecting Uninstall Programs. In the list you be able to see the version numbers of all the SimConnect dlls. Make sure you have 10.0.61259.0 in that list. That's the correct one for JoinFS.

Also, if the Simulator button on the main JoinFS window goes red you need to click it to reconnect to the simulator.

Do you have any problems connecting other SimConnect applications such as Active Sky ?

Peter
canuck21a

Post by canuck21a »

Hi,
I checked Windows for installed simconnects.
win10-simconnects.jpg
win10-simconnects.jpg (47.73 KiB) Viewed 5309 times
Later I checked another laptop that had just FSX-SE on it. It had but two simconnect's .62615 including the .61259 that I had added to allow FSCloud and other addons. While FSX-SE was up and running I installed JoinFS and everything went well.

I then went to my new system that has all of the simconnect versions installed and started FSX-SE. I then installed JoinFS. Once again no joy as the JoinFS starts and shows no sign of wanting to add aircraft. Trying to force the models from the menu results in the JoinFS: Scan for Hosts must start simulator.

Note that all other simconnect related addons work as expected and they also are configured to work remotely; e.g, FSCloud, AirHauler 2 and Plan-G on other system which happens to be the one that I first tried JoinFS on and where it still does not respond.
canuck21a

Post by canuck21a »

Alrighty then,

I seem to have partially resolved my local dilemma.

It occurred to me that the systems that were working had simple setups in terms of simconnect.

The two systems that were misbehaving have more complex setups.
Each one has a simconnect.xml for each sim while each one has its own simconnect.cfg in the user documents.

I surmised that perhaps this might be a chance to add port 6112 as a local port along with the other items that point to remote sims.

I added another [simconnect.x] and restarted FSX-SE. Now when I started JoinFS it asked for a model setup.
I was able to join a remote node and both Simulator and Network are now green.

I then turned my attention to my new flight sim box and added the same details to the simconnect.cfg on that system.

I started P3D and fired up JoinFS. I was asked for models !

I completed that and turned back to my other PC.
Much to my surprise JoinFS had decided to lose its local simconnect and use the simconnect on the P3D system or that is what appears to be happening

I tried to connect the two sims via JoinFS but all I got was a second plane of the same model sitting on top of my plane in P3D.

As another test I made my local FSX-SE PC a Hub.
I shut down FSX and JoinFS.
I then launched JoinFS and it came up and connected to the simulator on the other PC as I see a reference to P3D. There is no longer a P3D install on the FSX-SE system.
Somehow even with no sim running on the PC it has a green Simulator button.
When I connect the P3D system to the hub my plane duplicates itself.

So I seem to have solved a startup problem but now have an issue with having a local hub or using multiple sim PC's on my LAN.

Perhaps there is a solution to having multiple sims on the same LAN?
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Each one has a simconnect.xml for each sim while each one has its own simconnect.cfg in the user documents.
Sounds like your pointing your simconnect to connect to a sim on another PC.

What lines do you have written in the files you mentioned above?

There is no need to edit the default simconnect files for JoinFS.

Different sims can be used on different PCs on your LAN.

You will need to specify a different port in JoinFS for each JoinFS client running on your network.
6112, next client 6113 next client 6114 etc.

I would personally start by using the default files you mentioned above and see if that cures the issue.

Is there a reason you edited them?
For another program perhaps?
canuck21a

Post by canuck21a »

Hello Again,

Just writing to confirm that I have somewhat solved my problem.
JoinFS seems to be very picky about who it talks to.
If I remove simconnect.cfg from my docs folder it works fine but other pgms that rely on that file do not.
So using JoinFS on a second system is not really working well for me.
I now just use it on the sim system and all is working.

I was hoping to have a way to set up a local hub on a second PC that is exposed via my external IP that my flying friends could connect to while I could connect from the LAN. If I read correctly this feature is not presently available so we use one of the listed hubs to connect until we might have our own.

We have done some testing and we consider JoinFS to be more or less magic compared to the likes of FS Host, FSInn and FSCloud.

Thanks for all you do,

Darryl
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Darryl,

With the cfg file, is it possible to use different SimConnect settings for different applications? That might improve the situation.

Keep an eye on the version update logs for a fix to the internal network address problem. That may well resolve your problem for you. For now if you continue to use other servers, or have everyone bookmark directly to your address.

Thanks,
Peter