Join FS detection range

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
Deano1973

Join FS detection range

Post by Deano1973 »

Hi Peter, hope all's well!

I've had a request from a member of our org who operates a squadron ( VIII, RAF ) using the E3 Sentry aircraft. The Sentry fulfils a command and control role and has the FSX radar modified to be inside the VC, with a 300+nm range. The pilot has asked if the JoinFS detection range could be increased to 300 or 400nm, allowing them the ability to direct aircraft "over the horizon" in theatre and also across the whole UK when based at home.

I realise that such a request is a bit specific to us, but wondered if it would be possible as the maximum range is user selectable and thus an increase wouldn't really affect other users unless they chose it to be at maximum.

All best,

Dean, OCPR, MODsim
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Join FS detection range

Post by Peter »

Hi Dean,

That's a perfectly good question, and an interesting one. SimConnect seems to be configured to only allow detection of objects within 200nm, and that is the reason why the Circle Of Activity setting in JoinFS is limited to this distance. One of the reasons I brought the range down earlier was because I found that inserting aircraft on far continents sometimes failed. However, I'm quite sure that aircraft can still be inserted and updated some way beyond that 200nm distance and I assume they would then show up without a problem on the particular version of the radar that you are using. So basically with that in mind I see no reason why I couldn't extend the range.

I'll give it a go.

Best regards,
Peter
Dan-TXHills

Post by Dan-TXHills »

Don't know if this helps or even pertains - but I am able to see aircraft anywhere in the world on Plan-G (NOTE - this requires a manual change in the configuration file - the maximum range you can specify directly through the Plan-G interface is 200 kM). I have no clue if simconnect is involved in this - just an observation.

Dan
Deano1973

Post by Deano1973 »

Thanks Peter! :)
VLY02

Post by VLY02 »

Hi Peter, I am the pilot from MODSIM, who asked Dean to bring up this issue with you. I ran a test with some colleagues, and found that they did infact disappear off my radar at 207nm.

Regards
Bob
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Bob,

Can I check what you currently have for the JoinFS setting 'circle of activity', is it at the maximum range?

The 207nm sounds about right. I'll see if can extend it.

Regards,
Peter
VLY02

Post by VLY02 »

Good morning Peter, yes the range setting I have is max at 200nm, it would be great is this could be increased.

Thanks for you prompt reply.

Regards
Bob
VLY02

Post by VLY02 »

Good afternoon Peter, I see you have increased the range to 600nm, thank you, our awacs can now function.

Regards
Bob
Lemeser

Post by Lemeser »

Hello, I was wondering by any chance the radar range could be raised to 2000 or 3000 NM, the reason being is that me and my friends want to be able to have ATC when we fly a cross the country, actually between countries, we like to do flights from lets say Houston USA all the way to Sao Paulo Brazil it would be wonderful if it could be done
ATC Roo

Post by ATC Roo »

Lemeser wrote:Hello, I was wondering by any chance the radar range could be raised to 2000 or 3000 NM, the reason being is that me and my friends want to be able to have ATC when we fly a cross the country, actually between countries, we like to do flights from lets say Houston USA all the way to Sao Paulo Brazil it would be wonderful if it could be done
If you're using FSX/P3D if I remember rightly there is a 300nm limit written into SimConnect that can't be changed .

If you are using a program that reads a whazzup file, select the Global Whazzup and it will show aircraft world wide.

You and your friends would need to be connected to the global session to be seen on the global Whazzup.
Lemeser

Post by Lemeser »

Hello, yes we tried using the JoinFS whazzup.txt file through Little nav map but there are a couple of issues,
1- Without FSX runnig when I select to display the info from the JoinFS Whazzup.txt file, it shows all the aircraft's icons pointing towards north and the heading info is always displaying 0 or 1 magnetic direction no matter what the actual heading of the aircraft is
2- If I run FSX the aircraft's icons show the correct heading and info but using LNM (Little Nav Map) through FSX limits the radar range to 600 NM
3- Now if I close FSX and select to display the info in Little Nav Map from vatsim or Ivao instead of the JoinFS Whazzup.txt file all the aircraft's icons show the correct info and heading

Do you know what can be causing this issue?
Attachments
2020-09-16.png
2020-09-16.png (84.01 KiB) Viewed 5956 times
2020-09-14 (2).png
2020-09-14 (2).png (74.96 KiB) Viewed 5956 times
2020-09-14 (1).png
2020-09-14 (1).png (75.57 KiB) Viewed 5956 times