a little problem with weather

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
f-bgd michel

a little problem with weather

Post by f-bgd michel »

Hi,
during a group flight with gliders, the pilot in charge of the MTO have, for exemple, Wind 10 kts 255° and the other pilots 25 kts 340° is it normal "doctor" or we made somethings wrong ? The others pilots have exactly the same MTO

for a groupflight in gliders your is really great , congratulation
Michel
Peter
Site Admin

Re: a little problem with weather

Post by Peter »

Hi Michel,

Are you using the weather features on the aircraft list? There are currently two ways of synchronizing the weather. First, you can tick the weather column in the aircraft list to continually update you weather from that aircraft. If everyone in the session ticks the same aircraft then you will all have the same updated weather. The second method is to select an aircraft and click on the Copy Weather button. This will do a once only update. Again, if you all copy the weather from the same aircraft then you'll all have the same wind for the remainder of the session.

Hope that helps,
Peter
f-bgd michel

Post by f-bgd michel »

thank you Peter for your reply
we test the two ways but we have the same result.
after a good night w'ill test tomorrow again, i'll give you information after that

thanks again

Michel
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

I should add that I think the way the weather works in JoinFS has some quirks. It currently sets the weather to be global in the simulator which I think has some bad side effects. For example if you are getting repeated updates from another aircraft which is at 30k feet, while you are on approach to land you get very unrealistic winds. This is something I need to look at.

If you want to make sure that everyone has the same wind, make sure that the person you get the weather from is not running a live weather engine, and then just you the once only Copy Weather from the same aircraft. Let me know if you still get a problem after that, as there could be something else that I've missed.

Peter
f-bgd michel

Post by f-bgd michel »

hi Peter
after a new test we had no problem with weather but the connection was very difficult, first time with adress I P direct without succes but in the second time with bookmark connection direct--may be a problem of network ?

good week
Michel
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Using the bookmark is very similar to entering the IP address directly. It may have been a typo when you entered it. I've seen this happen a few times and have done it myself on more than one occasion, by typing a ',' instead of a '.' Also make sure to specify the port number if necessary. For example, "10.20.30.40:6000"

Peter
f-bgd michel

Post by f-bgd michel »

Sorry Peter it's still me
the pb with weather is still here
the situation: 3 gliders flying together in the South of France, i host the session and the MTO, i have the mto conform with metar but the others have Wind very different than me but they have the same----- me: 220/15kt the 2 others 150/25kt precision: the 3 gliders are on ground in a circle of
20 meters
in flight it's the same thing even when the hosting change

:| :|
Michel
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Do you set your weather to a custom setting such as Fair Weather, then they both do Copy Weather from your aircraft?

If all three of you look at the View|Monitor window you should be able to see the METAR that gets updated.

Peter
f-bgd michel

Post by f-bgd michel »

sorry Peter, after many test, the Wind is still problematic

maybe i'll try an other time
Michel