Alternative Port Numbers

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
frankturley

Alternative Port Numbers

Post by frankturley »

When I first tried JoinFS I got the message "Only one use of each socket address(protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted". I assumed at the time that port 6112 was being used by something else, so I changed my port to 6113, and the error message went away.

I have since been doing trials of JoinFS with a friend, and we found that we got the best response from JoinFS by using port 6112.

I can now start JoinFS with port 6112 selected without getting the error message, so I will leave it set there, and ignore the error message if it arises again. However, as there is provision in the settings menu to change the port number, somebody somewhere must be using this. Can I ask - why does this facility exist, and if it is utilised, do all flyers in the group have to use the same number?

Frank.
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Alternative Port Numbers

Post by Peter »

Hi Frank,

ports can only be used by one program at a time. So once a program has opened it then any other program will get an error saying that it is already in use. It may be that you ran JoinFS twice, in which case the second time would show the error message because the port is already open. Another possibility is that you were in FSX multiplayer mode so FSX will have already opened the port and running JoinFS would show that error.

Basically, you can use any port you like. A lot of lower number ports are usually used/reserved for well known programs and services, but the higher numbers are usually ok. If you found 6112 worked better for you it might be that you didn't have 6113 configured in the same way on the router, but your choice of port shouldn't affect your multiplayer experience.

JoinFS uses port 6112 by default. So if you don't specify a port, it will use 6112. The local port setting is only for your computer, it doesn't affect anyone else's choice of port that they are using on their computer. However, if you choose a port other than the default, and you want to let someone connect to you then they need to know which port you are using so they can enter '10.20.30.40:6113' rather then '10.20.30.40', which will use 6112.

If I was you I would just untick the port setting and let it use the default 6112.

Hope that helps,
Peter
frankturley

Re: Alternative Port Numbers

Post by frankturley »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for that, I suspect that I must have been impatient and run a second JoinFS session while the first was yet to appear, hence the error message. I will stick to using 6112, it seems the best option.

Frank.