Missing my IP / Error message

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
frankturley

Missing my IP / Error message

Post by frankturley »

I seem to recall that when I started JoinFS it displayed my IP. Now it doesn't, but I am getting error messages. these are -

1 - "Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted."

2 - if I continue to run I get another message, the details of which I have attached.

I'm guessing my settings are in a mess, this appears to be the result of me messing with the port forwarding in Windows Defender.

I did try a re-install but no joy, sorry.

Another apology, your forum doesn't appear to like a text file, so I can't attach the details, but the heading reads -
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
followed by at JoinFS.MainFormMenu_File_Settings_Click(....
and at System.Windows.Forms......2 x MenuItem, 2 x Command, 2 x Control, Scrollable Control, Container Control, FormWndProc, 2 x Control.ControlNative, finally NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam IntPtr lparam)

Any ideas what I need to fix?
frankturley

Re: Missing my IP / Error message

Post by frankturley »

Tried again, another error message, maybe more relevant to missing IP -

System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: text
at System.Windows.Forms.Clipboard.SetText(Stringtext, TextDataFormat format)
at System.Windows.Forms.Clipboard.SetText(Stringtext)
at JoinFS.MainForm.Text_MyIP_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
etc...............

Happened when I clicked on the empty IP address, so perhaps we need to find out why the IP address is blank?
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Frank,

Yes, sorry about that, there is another post on this subject. Basically, the website that I use to get the external IP (MyIP) is currently offline. This shouldn't normally be a problem, but I discovered a couple of bugs that caused the error that you saw. These are now fixed, but for now, don't click on the empty box, you can get MyIP from here, http://ipv4.icanhazip.com/

At least this highlighted some bugs that required fixing, so it's not all bad. :)

Peter
frankturley

Post by frankturley »

Thanks Peter.

Just tried again, and all is well.

If this occurs again, do I just enter the IP?

Frank.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

No, you don't need to, it's only there for your information, to allow others to join you. JoinFS remains fully functional even when the MyIP box is empty.

Peter
frankturley

Post by frankturley »

Hi Peter,

I don't know why you are using a web site to get the IP, you can do it in code. I don't know what language you are using, but I did it in visual basic using code I cribbed from the internet. It uses the System.Net functions, first to get the host computer name, and then loop through that PC's data to get the IPv4 address.

It might be quicker for you to do that rather than error trap for the web site down condition.

Frank.
frankturley

Post by frankturley »

Ignore that last message, it gets the local address, not the external one.

Frank.