Password

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
frankturley

Password

Post by frankturley »

I have just installed JoinFS, and I have called up the Settings menu. I see there is a password for ATC mode, but I couldn't find any other mention of password in the manual.

I currently fly in FSX multiplayer mode with a group of friends, and we protect each session with a password. Is there a similar facility in JoinFS?
Peter
Site Admin

Re: Password

Post by Peter »

Hi Frank,

I really ought to temporarily disable that option as it is not currently implemented. It's on the list but will be a month or so. For now, I would recommend using a random five digit port number to keep a session private. As long as you don't advertise it or enable hub mode then no one will know how to connect other than your group.

Best regards,
Peter
frankturley

Post by frankturley »

Thanks Peter
Deano1973

Post by Deano1973 »

Just furthering this thread with a quick question about security: I seem to remember that there was a way to "kick" people off a JoinFS session. Is that correct?

We'd like to be able to remove anybody who joins our org' but then proves themselves to be a pain. Currently, in the absence of an actual password the only way to prevent someone from joining would be to alter the port # as described, which would itself be a bit disruptive. Peter, do you have any plans to implement an overall password function in the same way as FSX Multiplayer?
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Yes, there will be a password option fairly soon.

If you get someone unwanted into the session, all you need to do is select the aircraft and tick the 'Ignore' box, and that's it, You'll never see them again. ;)

Peter
TexxasAl

Post by TexxasAl »

Peter wrote:Yes, there will be a password option fairly soon.

If you get someone unwanted into the session, all you need to do is select the aircraft and tick the 'Ignore' box, and that's it, You'll never see them again. ;)

Peter

That seems like a pretty reasonable solution to me. The "IGNORE" feature is one of the more beneficial features of your fine product. What it allows us to do is: Provide Cross-Platform interconnection among the primary flight simulator variations, while not restricting the access. I believe JoinFS is the greatest single "hope" for continued growth and enjoyment among flight simulation participants. The password will enable those who don't want to "fly" with others to keep to the little private rooms, while the "Ignore" functionality will permit open sessions across platforms, while still enabling folks to not be bothered by those disrupting the session (most married folks have developed the ignore function already in their personal relationships with their spouses and children.

For those few of us with a "military" desire, allowing the "host" of a JoinFS server to promulgate and enforce the VRS TacPack controls and limitations will ensure the viability and equality among participants, leveling the "playing field" for all.

Thank you again, Peter.