JoinFS on a server

Any questions regarding JoinFS.
Horenh

JoinFS on a server

Post by Horenh »

Is it posible to run JoinFS on a small Home server that is in use by a group off flight simmers.
I installed it and copyed the files Bookmarks.txt, matching.txt and models.txt form appdata\local\joinfs to the same path on the server.
But by start joinfs i become a unexpected error.

What can i do make it working.
Is it nessary to install fsx or P3D on the server.
Peter
Site Admin

Re: JoinFS on a server

Post by Peter »

Hello,

You don't need to install the simulator on your server, the only requirement is that you install the legacy version of SimConnect, 10.0.61259.0, on the server. If you have FSX:Steam somewhere you can get the MSI install file from "(FSX)\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-XPACK\SimConnect.msi". I believe it also resides in one of the P3D subfolders as well.

The other requirement is that you have .NET framework 3.5 installed, but it is likely that your server will already have this.

Let me know how you get on.

Best regards,
Peter
Horenh

Post by Horenh »

Peter

Thanx for the reply.
The next question is, i run JoinFS on a server without the Sim.
Can i make over mijn internal network with the joinfs on the server.
I like to do this becouse the server is for the members of the sim group in the air for 24/7
My sim computer is only avaible when i fly.

greating
Henny
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Henny,

that's a good question. There are likely to be some problems if you try this with the current version. For now, I would say that as a minimum you should configure your router for port forwarding so that one port goes to your server and a different port is configured to go to your simulator PC. You may find that everything works well if instead of you joining the server you actually join another pilot's IP address who is currently in the session. That will have a better chance of working I think, as things currently stand, but I haven't tested this particular scenario.

I'll need to consider this futher in order to handle this situation properly. It's certainly doable.

Thanks,
Peter
Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood »

I'll tack this on here if it's OK. Same scenario. JoinFS on another PC that doesn't have either flight sim on. Simconnect, check, JoinFS works, check. Is there any way, short of putting a phoney airplanes folder in a phoney FSX/P3D folder with a phoney airplane in it that will stop the 'Model list is empty. Would you like to scan for models now?' window popping up?
No biggy, but it would be nice to get rid of it. :D
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Ron,

Very good point. I'm modifying the model scan soon, so I'll sort that out at the same time.

Thanks,
Peter
Ron Attwood

Post by Ron Attwood »

By the 'eck! That were quick. :D
fseindhoven

Post by fseindhoven »

For those who want to run an external pc/server with JoinFS without runnen any sim:

On the external server (may be using remote desktop):
Create in the root of C:\ --> C:\JoinFS
Create a folder C:\FSX\SimbOjects\Airplanes
Copy the Aircreation_582SL folder into it from e.g.
C:\STEAM\steamapps\common\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aircreation_582SL
Copy fsx.exe into C:\FSX
Create registry with FS Registry Repair.exe
(You may want to download from our share: https://flightsimeindhoven.wordpress.com/downloads/
Install SimConnect 10.0.62615.0 as copied from this location:
C:\STEAM\steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities
Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-XPACK\Simconnect.msi

Download JoinFS.msi (stable version only !)
MD5 Checksum
765AA5D85F4F4FE2F4534C2895199A6D *JoinFS.msi

When downloaded into the default download location: DO NOT MOVE THE FILE.
Then install JoinFS.msi from C:\...Downloads\ into C:\JoinFS
A shortcut is made on your desktop;
Right mouse click the shortcut properties and check the box: Run this program as administrator on the Compatibility tab
Run JoinFS as administrator
Check the Firewall incoming connections to be open on the remote machine for JoinFS
If the remote machine is behind a NAT Router, check UPnP to be enabled and port 6112 forwarded to the local machine IP-address.
Check the functions of JoinFS on the remote machine

Have fun
PH-JVA - FlightSim EIndhoven
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

With version 1.1.6, you shouldn't need to create that placeholder SimObjects/Airplanes anymore. JoinFS won't look for models until it connects to a simulator.

Peter
Wood

Post by Wood »

Hi Peter.

This is very interesting. Since we started using joinFS our server is has been running 24/7 without any issue.

Coming across this post I decided to give it a try and not even have P3D running as you indicated. However, the one thing I have noticed when checking the logs or selecting monitor, a message of "search for flight sim" continues to display adding it to the log.txt

Is there something I'm missing here?

Wood
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hi Wood,

I take it you have the simulator installed on the machine, but not running? So I assume a scan has already been done on that PC. The thread is mainly about servers that don't have a simulator installed. Only SimConnect.

Peter
Wood

Post by Wood »

Peter wrote:Hi Wood,

I take it you have the simulator installed on the machine, but not running? So I assume a scan has already been done on that PC. The thread is mainly about servers that don't have a simulator installed. Only SimConnect.

Peter
Hi Peter

My misunderstanding then. Thanks for the reply.

Wood